X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kepler
    replied
    Originally posted by state of hockey View Post

Seems to be specifically dishwashers. Maybe they hate the competition?
    They should be sympathetic. Both depreciate with use and have to be replaced after about a decade.

Leave a comment:

• state of hockey
    replied
    Originally posted by Kepler View Post
    Midwestern wives do not appear to do well with appliances.
    Seems to be specifically dishwashers. Maybe they hate the competition?

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied
    Midwestern wives do not appear to do well with appliances.

Leave a comment:

• dxmnkd316
    replied
    I had to disassemble the entire front panel of the dishwasher twice because my lovely and beautiful wife was distracted by a squirrel on the deck and fell on top of the door.

Mind you, this was also a nice bosch with about 2-3 weeks of use after waiting like four months for it. First door inner panel replacement we got had a bad corner so it wasn't going to seal. Finally got the replacement a month and a half later. Ended up slicing my finger really bad getting the soap dispenser out.

Anyways, good luck with the clean out.

Maybe check the drain hose and disposal to see if much of it got stuck there. Easy to fix that.

Otherwise you could always just run the boiling hot water through the drains several times in in a row. I usually do a boiling hot water flush several times a year just to flush out any built up junk. I also drain and flush the water heater annually.

Last time I had a root in the drain, the guy asked me how old the house was. I told him early 90s and he asked if I had the pipes replaced recently. Said they were extremely clean. *shrug*

Leave a comment:

• JF_Gophers
    replied
    These are the stories couples tell for years to come. Congrats on getting one of your first generational stories. :-)

Leave a comment:

• St. Clown
    replied
    Originally posted by unofan View Post

So there are many questions, but first and foremost, why were candles in the dishwasher in the first place?
    I asked that same question. It took a long time to get to that answer.

“They were dirty. When I was a kid, Mom would wash the birthday candles by soaking them in warm water. So I thought the dishwasher would be warm water during its run. I didn’t think that through.”

Clearly.

Leave a comment:

• unofan
    replied
    Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
    My wife just showed me three candle wicks, but no wax. She then says to me, “I might’ve done a bad thing.” I asked for elaboration, and she tells me that the wicks just came from the dishwasher.

Why? What? Just…why? We’ve had the thing maybe 3 weeks at this point, bought a decent Bosch. And now she’s trying to kill it. She’s an appliance huntress. That’s what she is. She’s out to kill them all.
    So there are many questions, but first and foremost, why were candles in the dishwasher in the first place?

Leave a comment:

• walrus
    replied
    Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
    My wife just showed me three candle wicks, but no wax. She then says to me, “I might’ve done a bad thing.” I asked for elaboration, and she tells me that the wicks just came from the dishwasher.

Why? What? Just…why? We’ve had the thing maybe 3 weeks at this point, bought a decent Bosch. And now she’s trying to kill it. She’s an appliance huntress. That’s what she is. She’s out to kill them all.
    I think Roto Rooter is in your future also

Leave a comment:

• St. Clown
    replied

Leave a comment:

• dxmnkd316
    replied
    Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
    Im about to head into Winter #2 in my current apartment. This was the first place I've lived at with baseboard heating.

Things I learned last year in this area:

- The insulation in my exterior walls is kind of spotty. Like it's good for 90% of the wall and then there will be a small 18" section where it's like nothing in there.
    - With the baseboard heaters I have the ability to have one room be a foundry while the one next to it feels like a meat locker.
    - The switches/controls are somewhat inconsistent. Like I will have the same setting and I will have random days where it seems to have gone up and/or down a notch or two. But then it will just go back to what was "normal".
    - This is a money pit as far as my electric bill goes. I pay 3-4x for heat compared to what I pay for running the A/C full time June-Aug. It's 5-6x compared to May/September when I run nothing.

Overall I'm thinking that running my fan(s) over the winter will help a ton in evening all this variance out. It's not that it's cold enough to cause concern, but it is noticeable in the AM when you just roll out of bed or in the evening when I'm just sitting around doing nothing.
    Piggybacking this, I bought an extra set of Ecobee sensors earlier this week since they were on sale. This will basically mean I have sensors in every room. I've been learning a LOT about our house and how to save cash. Our cooling bills this summer only went up about $5-$8/month (5%) because we were using the A/C so much less.

We're able to target temps by room instead of just in the hallway. Ran a box fan in the basement pointed up the stairs most of the summer to push colder air upstairs more efficiently. You can actually see the response of the house by the minute doing that. Fans are incredible for getting colder (free!) air circulated better.

Looking at the #s, the cooling degree days went up by 4.0%, our electrical usage dropped by 7.6% (even though we had two people working from home now as opposed to last year it was just me). That must have saved us an asston in the end. The ecobee (mostly the data) paid for itself within a single summer. Probably could have done this cheaper using a Home Assistant RPi and some cheapo temperature sensors. But whatever.

Will be interesting to see how this behaves for the winter. Won't be able to use the fans, but I'm thinking just closing the doors to our offices and using small space heaters instead of heating up the entire house will be the way to go.
    Last edited by dxmnkd316; 11-03-2022, 07:05 PM.

Leave a comment:

• RaceBoarder
    replied
    Originally posted by burd View Post

You're Chi, right, Race?
    Southwest Suburbs (Joliet area). Basically on the border between farmland and continuous urban suburbs.

Leave a comment:

• burd
    replied
    Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
    Im about to head into Winter #2 in my current apartment. This was the first place I've lived at with baseboard heating.

- The insulation in my exterior walls is kind of spotty. Like it's good for 90% of the wall and then there will be a small 18" section where it's like nothing in there.
    - With the baseboard heaters I have the ability to have one room be a foundry while the one next to it feels like a meat locker.
    - The switches/controls are somewhat inconsistent. Like I will have the same setting and I will have random days where it seems to have gone up and/or down a notch or two. But then it will just go back to what was "normal".
    - This is a money pit as far as my electric bill goes. I pay 3-4x for heat compared to what I pay for running the A/C full time June-Aug. It's 5-6x compared to May/September when I run nothing.

Overall I'm thinking that running my fan(s) over the winter will help a ton in evening all this variance out. It's not that it's cold enough to cause concern, but it is noticeable in the AM when you just roll out of bed or in the evening when I'm just sitting around doing nothing.
    You're Chi, right, Race?

Leave a comment:

• RaceBoarder
    replied

Leave a comment:

• dxmnkd316
    replied
    That should immediately burst into flames

Leave a comment:

• Deutsche Gopher Fan
    replied
    This was posted in Australia subreddit

https://www.reddit.com/r/australia/c...tm_name=iossmf

Leave a comment:

Working...
X