X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dxmnkd316
    replied
    Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post

I used home energy squad in both homes I’ve owned. Really helpful. They told me to recondition my original windows vs replacing which made me happy. The ROI is tough with how much windows cost and so much of my leakage was fixed when I added insulation and sealed stuff up
    We threw on some window plastic this year on the two oldest and it made a massive difference. Best $5 i've spent.

Leave a comment:

• Deutsche Gopher Fan
    replied
    Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post

Was thinking about this too. My house used to be insanely energy efficient, even without the massive tree growth I've had over the last decade. 100 degree day, the temp never got about like 76. Now, not so much. Which is why I'd like to look at a couple things. Energy audit (walls, ceilings, and attic), add insulation to the attic. I'll also be looking to replace the hot water heater, but not sure that's going to save much.

Not sure what else I can do.
    I used home energy squad in both homes I’ve owned. Really helpful. They told me to recondition my original windows vs replacing which made me happy. The ROI is tough with how much windows cost and so much of my leakage was fixed when I added insulation and sealed stuff up

Leave a comment:

• dxmnkd316
    replied
    Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
    I love my Nest. Keep house around 65 all winter. That and adding insulation has been key
    Was thinking about this too. My house used to be insanely energy efficient, even without the massive tree growth I've had over the last decade. 100 degree day, the temp never got about like 76. Now, not so much. Which is why I'd like to look at a couple things. Energy audit (walls, ceilings, and attic), add insulation to the attic. I'll also be looking to replace the hot water heater, but not sure that's going to save much.

Not sure what else I can do.

Leave a comment:

• Deutsche Gopher Fan
    replied
    I love my Nest. Keep house around 65 all winter. That and adding insulation has been key

Leave a comment:

• dxmnkd316
    replied
    Bought an Ecobee today from Xcel. They were on deep discount (seemingly) and I've been wanting to get one for a while. Should be able to get another discount if I sign up for one of the two energy programs. I'm guessing electricity and gas are going to be effing expensive for the next 12-24 months so probably a good thing to look at.

Leave a comment:

• dxmnkd316
    replied
    Originally posted by alicestevens View Post
    We decided to install an in-line water filter system at home? Any advices?
    Who is your favorite college hockey team?

Leave a comment:

• alicestevens
    replied
    We decided to install an in-line water filter system at home? Any advices?
    Also if you have a reliable plumber, please let me know. So far these guys seem to have good reputation. Did someone work with the m in the past?
    Last edited by alicestevens; 03-11-2022, 05:21 AM.

Leave a comment:

• dxmnkd316
    replied
    Cool. Thanks for sharing.

Leave a comment:

• walrus
    replied
    Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post

Can I ask what your background is? You're super knowledgeable about home and repairs. You know your way around contracts too.
    I've been in and around the construction business most of my adult life. Mostly small commercial stuff and my business is electrical contracting. I've seen hundreds of yards of concrete placed and I can tell you that concrete poured on lousy soils, improper compaction etc will lead to failure every time. I added my 2 cents to Clowns issue because what he has going on ain't no joke. I hope he can get it fixed correctly for a reasonable price. My Dad picked where my house is built, Professor of Plant and Soils Sciences .

Leave a comment:

• St. Clown
    replied
    Originally posted by walrus View Post

Make sure thats in the contract and withhold money until it passes inspection.
    It is. The contract was laid out line by line, and I had to initial them.

Leave a comment:

• dxmnkd316
    replied

Can I ask what your background is? You're super knowledgeable about home and repairs. You know your way around contracts too.

Leave a comment:

• walrus
    replied
    Originally posted by St. Clown View Post

Yes, the contractor will cover that.

Leave a comment:

• St. Clown
    replied
    Do you have to get permitting from city/town ?
    Yes, the contractor will cover that.

Leave a comment:

• walrus
    replied
    Do you have to get permitting from city/town ?

Leave a comment:

• St. Clown
    replied
    Two quotes received, and they vary wildly. First quote was about $14,500. Today’s quote was for $25,200-$50,100, depending upon if we wanted them to go into our garage. And this second quote didn’t include replacing the concrete on the driveway.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X