X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spartanforlife4
    replied
    Originally posted by walrus View Post

I assume its a small amount in difference? Shim the switch that sits in from the Lutron. Small washers between J box and switch to move switch out. You might get with just loosening screws to allow switch to move out when you tighten cover plate screws.
    It’s not much, I’ll have to measure when I get home for an exact difference. The Lutron sits slightly higher. Small enough to make it look like there’s wiggle room to make it work, but large enough that none of my adjustments have worked so far. Maybe I just have to tinker a little more.

Leave a comment:

• walrus
    replied
    Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
    I replaced one of the light switches in the living room with a Lutron dimmer. Supposed to be the Cadillac of dimmers. And it appears to be. Works great, no buzz, no flicker. Problem is, the three way switch next to it no longer lines up with it. The Lutron sits slightly higher. They're off by a small enough amount that I can jam the cover on, but then it's not even. I figure my best bet to get a switch that lines up is to get another Lutron toggle that is non-dimmable, but for the life of me I cannot find one. After some searching I'm not even sure they make one.

At this point I feel like my only options are to live with the uneven wall plate or start a trial-and-error of different brands of switches.
    I assume its a small amount in difference? Shim the switch that sits in from the Lutron. Small washers between J box and switch to move switch out. You might get with just loosening screws to allow switch to move out when you tighten cover plate screws.

Leave a comment:

• walrus
    replied
    Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    You just have to standardize on the brand. When we do replacements, every switch in the room gets replaced and completely rewired.
    You do a complete rewire in the room for a switch change?

Leave a comment:

• dxmnkd316
    replied
    You just have to standardize on the brand. When we do replacements, every switch in the room gets replaced and completely rewired.

Leave a comment:

• Spartanforlife4
    replied
    I replaced one of the light switches in the living room with a Lutron dimmer. Supposed to be the Cadillac of dimmers. And it appears to be. Works great, no buzz, no flicker. Problem is, the three way switch next to it no longer lines up with it. The Lutron sits slightly higher. They're off by a small enough amount that I can jam the cover on, but then it's not even. I figure my best bet to get a switch that lines up is to get another Lutron toggle that is non-dimmable, but for the life of me I cannot find one. After some searching I'm not even sure they make one.

At this point I feel like my only options are to live with the uneven wall plate or start a trial-and-error of different brands of switches.

Leave a comment:

• French Rage
    replied
    St Clown with the win, though I appreciate all suggestions. Worked my way from 1/16 to 3/16 to 5/16 and then the latter finally worked!

Leave a comment:

• burd
    replied
    Originally posted by French Rage View Post
    Anyone have experience drilling into a hollow core door? I'm trying to hang a mirror, and I have the correct hollow door anchor, but the drill isn't going at all. I mean, I could push harder, but I was pushing pretty hard and it still wouldn't go in more than a couple of millimeters, so that says to me I'm not doing something right. I know hollow core isn't as much wood as compressed cardboard and other materials, so I'm wondering if I need a special drill bit?
    Just about any bit will get through a hollow core door skin. This may seem a silly question, but is your drill on reverse, or are you using a masonry bit meant for a hammer drill?

Leave a comment:

• walrus
    replied
    Sounds like bit isn't sharp, get a new bit. It should drill like any other piece of wood and if that bit won't start peeling out wood its really dull

Leave a comment:

• St. Clown
    replied
    Originally posted by French Rage View Post
    Anyone have experience drilling into a hollow core door? I'm trying to hang a mirror, and I have the correct hollow door anchor, but the drill isn't going at all. I mean, I could push harder, but I was pushing pretty hard and it still wouldn't go in more than a couple of millimeters, so that says to me I'm not doing something right. I know hollow core isn't as much wood as compressed cardboard and other materials, so I'm wondering if I need a special drill bit?
    Start with a really small bit, like a 1/16, to get a pilot hole started. The move put a size or two. Rinse and repeat as needed.

Leave a comment:

• French Rage
    replied

Leave a comment:

• dxmnkd316
    replied
    Originally posted by state of hockey View Post

Seems to be specifically dishwashers. Maybe they hate the competition?
    Sweet Jesus

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied
    Originally posted by state of hockey View Post

They should be sympathetic. Both depreciate with use and have to be replaced after about a decade.

Leave a comment:

• state of hockey
    replied
    Originally posted by Kepler View Post
    Midwestern wives do not appear to do well with appliances.

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied
    Midwestern wives do not appear to do well with appliances.

Leave a comment:

• dxmnkd316
    replied
    I had to disassemble the entire front panel of the dishwasher twice because my lovely and beautiful wife was distracted by a squirrel on the deck and fell on top of the door.

Mind you, this was also a nice bosch with about 2-3 weeks of use after waiting like four months for it. First door inner panel replacement we got had a bad corner so it wasn't going to seal. Finally got the replacement a month and a half later. Ended up slicing my finger really bad getting the soap dispenser out.

Anyways, good luck with the clean out.

Maybe check the drain hose and disposal to see if much of it got stuck there. Easy to fix that.

Otherwise you could always just run the boiling hot water through the drains several times in in a row. I usually do a boiling hot water flush several times a year just to flush out any built up junk. I also drain and flush the water heater annually.

Last time I had a root in the drain, the guy asked me how old the house was. I told him early 90s and he asked if I had the pipes replaced recently. Said they were extremely clean. *shrug*

Leave a comment:

Working...
X