Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by unofan View Post
    it's harder to compromise a patchwork than a unified grid
    Couldn't we accomplish the same thing with redundancy?

By all means have 4 grids but have them all reach everybody.
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post

Couldn't we accomplish the same thing with redundancy?

By all means have 4 grids but have them all reach everybody.
      Yeah, that's a hard no.

Just think about that for a minute, Kepler, and i think you'll get why.
      Last edited by unofan; 04-22-2021, 03:29 PM.

Comment

Yeah, that's a hard no.

Just think about that for a minute, Kepler, and i think you'll get why.
        I told you on E&M I have the brains of a conservative.

Why?
        Cornell University
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by BassAle View Post

There is a huge fight in Maine over a transmission line to connect HydroQuebec to Massachusetts.
          I'd say the fight is about CMP more than it is about a transmission line
          I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post

I told you on E&M I have the brains of a conservative.

Why?
            An electric grid is simply all of the wires and power plants connected together.

You're asking why we don't have 4 such grids nationwide as redundancy.

Even assuming you could somehow instantly switch the power plants over to the backup grids so you wouldn't need to build 4x those (realistically, you can't), you're talking 4x the wires, 4x the towers, 4x everything running everywhere, with no extra revenue coming in. Everyone's electric bills just jumped by a minimum of 400% with almost no discernable benefit.
            Last edited by unofan; 04-22-2021, 05:26 PM.

Comment

An electric grid is simply all of the wires and power plants connected together.

You're asking why we don't have 4 such grids nationwide as redundancy.

Even assuming you could somehow instantly switch the power plants over to the backup grids so you wouldn't need to build 4x those (realistically, you can't), you're talking 4x the wires, 4x the towers, 4x everything running everywhere, with no extra revenue coming in. Everyone's electric bills just jumped by a minimum of 400% with almost no discernable benefit.
              Yeah, but you wouldn't need 4x. Just merge them. Capex between them, add the necessary switchgears, controls systems, etc. The trunks between the systems don't always need to flow, just when they need to.
              Code:
              As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
              College Hockey 6       College Football 0
              BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
              Originally posted by SanTropez
              May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
              Originally posted by bigblue_dl
              I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
              Originally posted by Kepler
              When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
              He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post

Yeah, but you wouldn't need 4x. Just merge them. Capex between them, add the necessary switchgears, controls systems, etc. The trunks between the systems don't always need to flow, just when they need to.
                Right, but the sources would have to have the capacity to feed your own customers plus at least one more grid's customers - or plus 3 other grids' customers if you want quad "source redundancy." You don't need 4x the lines (they're not the critical failure point in the system anyway), but you would need 4x the generating capacity.
                If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

• Originally posted by LynahFan View Post

Right, but the sources would have to have the capacity to feed your own customers plus at least one more grid's customers - or plus 3 other grids' customers if you want quad "source redundancy." You don't need 4x the lines (they're not the critical failure point in the system anyway), but you would need 4x the generating capacity.
                  I mean, yes and no. You share the load. It doesn't need to be four grids, it could be hundreds. When a small cluster goes out, you patch it into the dozen that surround it balancing it out. We very very roughly do this today within each grid.

I agree full redundancy will never happen. Sorry, I had misread the original question. I assumed Kep was asking why we don't just connect all of them and make it intelligently balance itself.

it's also worth noting that about a quarter of all electricity generated is lost to transmission. So one more stake in the heart of quad redundancy. I can't imagine the transmission losses trying to reach that. I do know 3M makes some pretty advanced transmission lines that do a hell of a lot better than the garbage we've used in our grid. We just haven't decided to spend the money to make buy the efficient and expensive stuff.
                  Last edited by dxmnkd316; 04-22-2021, 10:02 PM.
                  Code:
                  May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                  He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• A laundry room with only a 15A circuit is subpar right?

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
                    iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
                    gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
                    Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
                    Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
                    TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
                    DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

• If you air-dry your clothes, no
                      Code:

Comment

• Originally posted by French Rage View Post
                        A laundry room with only a 15A circuit is subpar right?
                        If necessity is the mother of invention the solution to carbon footprints will come out of that laundry room.
                        Cornell University

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                          If you air-dry your clothes, no
                          What if my dryer is 5400W?

KDR

gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."

Comment

What if my dryer is 5400W?
                            I'd ask what your yield was last year.
                            Code:

Comment

A laundry room with only a 15A circuit is subpar right?
                              I'm assuming the dryer has a dedicated 30 amp circuit or is gas...

15A for a laundry room is not up to code.

A laundry room, by code, needs a dedicated 20-amp circuit (which can be shared between a washer and gas drier). If you don't have a gas drier, obviously it will also have a 30A 240V circuit for the dryer.
                              Last edited by BassAle; 04-23-2021, 08:14 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by BassAle View Post

I'm assuming the dryer has a dedicated 30 amp circuit or is gas...

15A for a laundry room is not up to code.

A laundry room, by code, needs a dedicated 20-amp circuit (which can be shared between a washer and gas drier). If you don't have a gas drier, obviously it will also have a 30A 240V circuit for the dryer.
                                Yeah I think that's what it is.

We just bought the house (like, last week). Originally it was going to come without a washer/dryer, but part of our final deal was for the seller to include them. So even though there is a gas hookup he went with electric. That would explain why 30A wasn't needed before (previous seller probably used the gas) but we would need it now. Honestly I'd prefer electric over gas, something about a gas dryer doesn't sit right with me (which I know is probably dumb), so I'll pay to upgrade the wiring for electric.

KDR

Comment

Working...
                                X