• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dxmnkd316
    replied
    Originally posted by French Rage View Post
    open-air splices
    **** those scare me. Had one on the inspection in the attic. Required the previous owner to fix prior to close.

Leave a comment:

• dxmnkd316
    replied
    Originally posted by walrus View Post

nothing shoddy about using number 10 wire on a light circuit. It exceeds code, assuming it’s not a 30 amp circuit. NEC is the minimum one most do, exceeding it is fine.

Yeah, it's just really annoying. The light I was installing has one of the european style connectors instead of using nuts. It says you should use 18ga but 14 worked fine. 10 wasn't going to fit.

Leave a comment:

• French Rage
    replied
    We had a large fraction of our attic wiring still knob and tube, along with a bunch of Romex just scattered about where it could be stepped on, and no shortage of open-air splices between the two. Had to get the whole attic re-wired essentially. It feels like whoever lived in the house the previous 60 years just added new wiring on top of old wiring without doing the whole thing in one coherent manner.

Leave a comment:

• walrus
    replied
    Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post

The doofus who previously owned my home, probably. We discover shoddy DIY work he did between 1991-2020 about every 2-3 months.

Dear auto mechanics - you are not plumbers or electricians, no matter how much you think you are.
    nothing shoddy about using number 10 wire on a light circuit. It exceeds code, assuming it’s not a 30 amp circuit. NEC is the minimum one most do, exceeding it is fine.

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied
    Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post

The doofus who previously owned my home, probably. We discover shoddy DIY work he did between 1991-2020 about every 2-3 months.

Dear auto mechanics - you are not plumbers or electricians, no matter how much you think you are.
    My dad was a EE and he rewired our entire house in the 1970s. I love my dad and he was a self-made man and incredibly smart and talented but here's the thing -- a EE is NOT an electrician!

Leave a comment:

• FadeToBlack&Gold
    replied
    Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    Who the **** wires a light with 10ga wires???

Leave a comment:

• walrus
    replied
    Someone who had a piece of number 10 handy.

Leave a comment:

• St. Clown
    replied
    Tim Taylor?

Leave a comment:

• dxmnkd316
    replied
    Who the **** wires a light with 10ga wires???

Leave a comment:

• walrus
    replied
    Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post

Might end up doing that if I can’t get this one to work. On the plus side it’s not like I lost any features. This one is still programmable without the gateway, which is better than the old one

I’m going to reach out to see if they’ve had issues with other customers, but at the end of the day it sounds like a firmware issue which I don’t really expect the HVAC installers to be experts in or responsible for since there are how many different types of routers out there and countless configurations for each of those. Next step is probably the company that makes the gateway to see if they have any solutions, but based on others with the problem I’m not sure if they’ll provide much help.
    They sold it to you. You paid for it. If it’s a piece of **** some other company makes one that works. It should be remedied by the company that sold it to you.

Leave a comment:

• Swansong
    replied
    I'd absolutely go at the installers. Part of any installation is getting it to work, and they didn't.

"I don't care that you're an HVAC guy and not a network admin. I paid for this product and for you to install it. So, install it."

Leave a comment:

• Spartanforlife4
    replied

Could you just buy an ecobee? Most utilities have fairly deep discounts on them.
    Might end up doing that if I can’t get this one to work. On the plus side it’s not like I lost any features. This one is still programmable without the gateway, which is better than the old one

Originally posted by walrus View Post
    Why not ***** at whoever installed it? it’s suppose to work, right ? Companies that install stuff and don’t get it working suck.
    I’m going to reach out to see if they’ve had issues with other customers, but at the end of the day it sounds like a firmware issue which I don’t really expect the HVAC installers to be experts in or responsible for since there are how many different types of routers out there and countless configurations for each of those. Next step is probably the company that makes the gateway to see if they have any solutions, but based on others with the problem I’m not sure if they’ll provide much help.

Leave a comment:

• walrus
    replied
    Why not ***** at whoever installed it? it’s suppose to work, right ? Companies that install stuff and don’t get it working suck.

Leave a comment:

• dxmnkd316
    replied
    Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post

Not on this unit, evidently.
    Could you just buy an ecobee? Most utilities have fairly deep discounts on them.

Leave a comment:

• Spartanforlife4
    replied
    Why does it need its own gateway? Can't it connect to any wireless router?
    Not on this unit, evidently.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X