Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Home Improvement Thread. Successes and Failures

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Re: The Home Improvement Thread. Successes and Failures

    Originally posted by MarkEagleUSA View Post
    Most Bug & Tar removers (if that's what you're referring to) contain petroleum distillates that would likely ruin latex paint.
    Originally posted by burd View Post
    I'd ask my local Car Quest or other automotive parts store what they recommend for bug tar. Then see if they know its suitability for latex paint or, if they don't know, google search it. In fact, I assume you have already google searched the topic.

    I recently used a car wash liquid that removed bug tar like magic. I'd driven through a May Fly hatching and the car was plastered with bug stains. Days later I hand washed the car with ArmorAll Carwash, a blue liquid. Worked great. It was probably not environmentally responsible to use this stuff, but I had some on hand and it worked.
    Originally posted by burd View Post
    I think you are probably right.
    I'll try this. Thank you!
    Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
    "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
    Patreon for exclusive writing content
    Adventures With Amber Marie

    Comment


    • Re: The Home Improvement Thread. Successes and Failures

      You can get wall washing solutions at your local hardware store. Find the cleaners section, or the paint-prep area, and they'll have all you need without having to acid wash both your walls and you jeans.
      "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

      "One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

      "Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

      Comment


      • Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
        Did she also happen to attend SCSU? I'm just saying...because I had some roommates.
        She has no idea where St. Cloud is. Minnesota is a probable.
        CCT '77 & '78
        4 kids
        5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
        1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

        ”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
        - Benjamin Franklin

        Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

        I want to live forever. So far, so good.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by joecct View Post
          She has no idea where St. Cloud is. Minnesota is a probable.
          My question stands.

          In October I bought a house built in 1955. Plaster walls suck. They suck like UAA did at hockey. Really bad. The amount of extra work required to hang things like curtains is insane. If I could afford it, I’d make a run to put up drywall tomorrow.
          "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

          "One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

          "Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

          Comment


          • Re: The Home Improvement Thread. Successes and Failures

            Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
            My question stands.

            In October I bought a house built in 1955. Plaster walls suck. They suck like UAA did at hockey. Really bad. The amount of extra work required to hang things like curtains is insane. If I could afford it, I’d make a run to put up drywall tomorrow.
            I'd think twice about that. Plaster should add value to your home and sheet rock won't hold ****. Aren't your curtain rods going on the window trim?

            I'm removing wall paper borders from 4 different rooms and then repainting, got a system down once a couple rooms were done. Its a pain in the ***.
            I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

            Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

            Comment


            • Re: The Home Improvement Thread. Successes and Failures

              We have plaster walls as well, and they also don't hold a darn thing. Doesn't bother me too much though, as I don't care for busy walls. I'm fine with them being pretty blank.
              the state of hockey is good

              Comment


              • Re: The Home Improvement Thread. Successes and Failures

                Originally posted by walrus View Post
                I'd think twice about that. Plaster should add value to your home and sheet rock won't hold ****. Aren't your curtain rods going on the window trim?

                I'm removing wall paper borders from 4 different rooms and then repainting, got a system down once a couple rooms were done. Its a pain in the ***.
                Plaster complicates things because it's almost impossible to find a wall stud, and I have no idea how thick the plaster is over the wood laths. So wall anchors become much more expensive. Beyond that, I know how to work with drywall. If it ever came down to it, I can easily add a 2x4 cross beam behind a drywall facade if I really want, and make it look like I've never did work on it.

                This all comes about because I want to build some floating shelves to a wall, a de facto mantle, on either side of a TV that's already hanging on the wall. I need a reliable way to get lag screws into the stud without bouncing the drill in another direction because of some lousy wire mesh that goes with the lathing.
                "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

                "One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

                "Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

                Comment


                • Re: The Home Improvement Thread. Successes and Failures

                  Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                  Plaster complicates things because it's almost impossible to find a wall stud, and I have no idea how thick the plaster is over the wood laths. So wall anchors become much more expensive. Beyond that, I know how to work with drywall. If it ever came down to it, I can easily add a 2x4 cross beam behind a drywall facade if I really want, and make it look like I've never did work on it.

                  This all comes about because I want to build some floating shelves to a wall, a de facto mantle, on either side of a TV that's already hanging on the wall. I need a reliable way to get lag screws into the stud without bouncing the drill in another direction because of some lousy wire mesh that goes with the lathing.
                  Plaster is certainly a better quality covering than drywall, but remodeling plastered walls and ceilings can be very dusty. If you are frustrated about locating studs, look to the base trim for the 16 inch stud layout. It's usually pretty easy to locate the puttied nail locations. If you need to drill a small hole to confirm what you find, it is easy to patch. You apparently also have a bracket supporting the TV, which will show you where at least two studs are. Although plaster thickness varies because it was trowelled on, you can usually remove a nearby outlet cover and get a good idea what to expect. Hanging lighter things like pictures is actually easier with plaster, since a screw into the lath will support the weight of most things that size.

                  If it's old plaster that has become loose, it is much more frustrating and will require quite a bit more patching. But there are good products available for that too, and you really don't need to be an experienced mudder to do it.

                  Look at this as your chance to become a plaster repair nerd, the go-to expert for your friends. With SIP, you probably have the time.

                  Comment


                  • Re: The Home Improvement Thread. Successes and Failures

                    I need to increase the efficiency of my house so I'm looking into new windows. Also my brother and a friend put in our front door and it doesn't close all the way....I know this plus leaky windows isn't a good thing at all. Right now my house is so freakin humid and during the winter cold air leaks in. I need to get a couple dehumidifiers asap. Also I need new a AC system , found some information here. Keep you posted on how the improvement process goes
                    Last edited by DonaldD; 05-08-2020, 09:32 AM.

                    Comment


                    • Re: The Home Improvement Thread. Successes and Failures

                      Originally posted by DonaldD View Post
                      I need to increase the efficiency of my house so I'm looking into new windows. Also my brother and a friend put in our front door and it doesn't close all the way....I know this plus leaky windows isn't a good thing at all. Right now my house is so freakin humid and during the winter cold air leaks in. I need to get a couple dehumidifiers asap. Also I need new a AC system , found some information here. Keep you posted on how the improvement process goes
                      Where do you live? How do you use fans and windows during the summer, day and night, to moderate these things?

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by burd View Post
                        Where do you live? How do you use fans and windows during the summer, day and night, to moderate these things?
                        I installed continuous running fan with a moisture module, was really helpful.

                        I’ve had two energy audits, on both homes I’ve owned. Both times I was told that new Windows isn’t a great investment- adding insulation was better. Also caulking, weatherstripping and using plastic over Windows in winter in some cases

                        Comment


                        • Re: The Home Improvement Thread. Successes and Failures

                          Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
                          I installed continuous running fan with a moisture module, was really helpful.

                          I’ve had two energy audits, on both homes I’ve owned. Both times I was told that new Windows isn’t a great investment- adding insulation was better. Also caulking, weatherstripping and using plastic over Windows in winter in some cases
                          High quality wood windows (and patio doors) can't be beat, but they're expensive, since they require some expertise--inside and out. And, like solar energy, you have to spend time in the house to realize the financial gain.

                          Comment


                          • Re: The Home Improvement Thread. Successes and Failures

                            Originally posted by burd View Post
                            High quality wood windows (and patio doors) can't be beat, but they're expensive, since they require some expertise--inside and out. And, like solar energy, you have to spend time in the house to realize the financial gain.
                            My dad once got a quote for new windows at his house. $75,000.
                            Code:
                            As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                            College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                            BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                            Originally posted by SanTropez
                            May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                            Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                            I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                            Originally posted by Kepler
                            When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                            He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

                            Comment


                            • Re: The Home Improvement Thread. Successes and Failures

                              I'm getting a few patches of sod reinstalled. As thwy have died out. Price quotes vary pretty widely (to me). Makes it tough to pick one.
                              PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
                              Steam Profile

                              Sports Allegiance
                              NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                                My dad once got a quote for new windows at his house. $75,000.
                                Seems excessive.
                                Fighting Sioux Forever

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X