X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• aparch
    replied
    Originally posted by state of hockey View Post

I think you identified another way to destroy that concrete that hasn’t been mentioned in this thread yet, though.
    Anonymous tip to the State Police / FBI that a *pick a long cold case* body was rumored to have been buried under the sidewalk?

Leave a comment:

• state of hockey
    replied
    Originally posted by burd View Post
    btw, I'm very much aware that whining about anything in light of what's happening in Gaza is more than a little inappropriate.
    I think you identified another way to destroy that concrete that hasn’t been mentioned in this thread yet, though.

Leave a comment:

• burd
    replied
    Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
    Bad things happening elsewhere does not preclude difficulties at home.
    True, but it does make you rethink what qualifies as "difficulties." It's not a matter of guilt but of . . . proportion?

Also true that that's a box you can never get out of. There's always a South Sudan out there.
    Last edited by burd; 10-16-2023, 06:59 PM.

Leave a comment:

• St. Clown
    replied
    Bad things happening elsewhere does not preclude difficulties at home.

Leave a comment:

• burd
    replied
    Originally posted by walrus View Post

Electric jack hammers suck, in reality all jack hammers suck but electric way more than air or hydraulic on the end of an excavator. Electric doesn't have balls it needs to work well.
    Yeah, I didn't have enough compressor for air. Small job, so it didn't matter too much. I'm just in old-person condition. Lifting the hammer constantly and moving chunks of concrete. If it were a larger job or if I weren't retired, I'd have enough sense to get someone in with a bobcat/excavator and take it out. This gives me something to whine about.

btw, I'm very much aware that whining about anything in light of what's happening in Gaza is more than a little inappropriate.

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied
    Spent the last 4+ hours running a jackhammer (Hilti electric) busting up sidewalk. Like everything, I'm sure it's all about technique, but I'm properly whipped. A rental, so I had to get the job done in the time I had, but I'll now be slower to roll my eyes at those television characters watching girls go by while they hold the tool down with their big jiggling bellies.
    Your poor back.

Leave a comment:

• walrus
    replied
    Spent the last 4+ hours running a jackhammer (Hilti electric) busting up sidewalk. Like everything, I'm sure it's all about technique, but I'm properly whipped. A rental, so I had to get the job done in the time I had, but I'll now be slower to roll my eyes at those television characters watching girls go by while they hold the tool down with their big jiggling bellies.
    Electric jack hammers suck, in reality all jack hammers suck but electric way more than air or hydraulic on the end of an excavator. Electric doesn't have balls it needs to work well.

Leave a comment:

• burd
    replied
    Last edited by burd; 10-16-2023, 03:03 PM.

Leave a comment:

• FadeToBlack&Gold
    replied
    Originally posted by aparch View Post

Glad to know I'm not alone in the resistance to IoT everything. Haha.
    The future of my current career path is literally IoT solutions for industry, but even I draw a "Do Not Cross" line in my own home. I also won't buy "smart" major appliances. If I ever spend $5k+ on a fridge, it's gonna be a Sub Zero. :-p

Leave a comment:

• St. Clown
    replied
    Originally posted by aparch View Post

I’ve no interest in voice controlled anything either.

I have been thinking about adding smart lights as anti-theft while on vacation, but those would need to be app-controlled. I’m still debating.

Leave a comment:

• aparch
    replied
    Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    I will never touch anything voice-activated. Wi-Fi enabled is OK in a few circumstances where the use case is valid, like doorbells and thermostats.

Leave a comment:

• St. Clown
    replied
    Bit by bit?

Leave a comment:

• FadeToBlack&Gold
    replied
    I will never touch anything voice-activated. Wi-Fi enabled is OK in a few circumstances where the use case is valid, like doorbells and thermostats.

Leave a comment:

• aparch
    replied
    I'm slowly trying out some additional smart home features. I've had a doorbell camera and thermostat from Nest (now Google) for years but resisted other "smart home" features (mainly resisted Alexa/Google voice hubs because I just cant see the point other than novelty).

I'm thinking of ordering a smart light switch for the porch lights, because I always forget to turn the d*mn thing on when I leave the house in the evening or no ones home to turn them on when late from work.

Anyone else dabble with the IoT / Smart Home features?
    Last edited by aparch; 10-14-2023, 11:11 PM.

Leave a comment:

• FadeToBlack&Gold
    replied
    Perhaps it's more of a mapo tofu fan? Hard to say.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X