X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• aparch
    replied
    Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
    ... because I just got a copy of the title over the weekend.
    Thank you for the reminder that I need to see the DMV and get a clean copy of my title. It's been paid off since 2020.

Leave a comment:

• Scarlet
    replied
    Originally posted by unofan View Post

Eh, I throw an extra couple hundred a month towards my mortgage even though it's not the strategically correct financial move to maximize every penny. I don't want to still be paying the mortgage when I'm retired, and there's simply the mental benefit of seeing the outstanding balance going down more quickly. I don't have any other debt at the moment and I am maxing out my 401k contributions and my daughter's 529 plan each year, so I'm not going to sweat the 150-basis point difference between my mortgage and a CD.

But then I also don't min-max my characters in video games either. I'm fine with "good enough."
    Yeah, I paid off my mortgage last month. I just wanted it done. When/if I ever decide to sell, I won't have to use any of the money from the sale to pay off the mortgage. I had been putting extra money towards the principal for some time now. I did something similar with my car, on a much smaller basis but apparently it worked because I just got a copy of the title over the weekend.

Leave a comment:

• Deutsche Gopher Fan
    replied
    Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post

Wow
    I’m thinking of stopping escrow and keeping money in hysa or the 4 or 8 week t bills given the rates right now. I stuck my severance check in t-bills

Leave a comment:

• dxmnkd316
    replied
    Originally posted by aparch View Post

I have a couple regrets (but not many) in my life: buying a right sized home for my wife and I at the time and not something bigger is the leader of those.

On the other hand, both times my wife has been out of work since 2020 we've been okay financially, so maybe it's a blessing to have a slightly smaller house?
    It's one of my two major financial regrets. I came this close to overbuying at the end of the Great Recession. I'd have been sitting pretty with a nice house in a good location hurting the banks for 30 years. On the other hand, I'll be free and clear in four years. So I'm not feeling anchored by rates and I can keep contributing to a pseudo mortgage savings/brokerage account while we wait.

The other regret was not turning my ESPP off earlier and selling as soon as the holding period ended. That was a five-figure mistake.

Leave a comment:

• dxmnkd316
    replied
    Originally posted by unofan View Post

Eh, I throw an extra couple hundred a month towards my mortgage even though it's not the strategically correct financial move to maximize every penny. I don't want to still be paying the mortgage when I'm retired, and there's simply the mental benefit of seeing the outstanding balance going down more quickly. I don't have any other debt at the moment and I am maxing out my 401k contributions and my daughter's 529 plan each year, so I'm not going to sweat the 150-basis point difference between my mortgage and a CD.

But then I also don't min-max my characters in video games either. I'm fine with "good enough."
    Wow

Leave a comment:

• unofan
    replied
    Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post

I don't mean to be abrasive, but what in the good **** are you doing paying off a mortgage early???! Put that extra money into VTSAX or even a CD for god's sake.

Leave a comment:

• dxmnkd316
    replied
    Originally posted by Swansong View Post

Yeah, I had/have no intention of moving any time soon (gf and I plan to be here another 10-15 years at least), but with a 2.99% rate on a 30-year fixed, we're going to cling to that like grim death. On the bright side, we've been absolutely dumping money into the mortgage and - if we stopped paying extra today - are 88 months ahead of schedule.

We did the math on 30 year vs. 15 year payments, and decided to go with the 30 but pay extra principle each month to make the payment, effectively, that of a 15 year loan. That way we can get it payed off early but have some runway in case finances change. We're both incredibly lucky to have worked in industries that remained in demand (healthcare IT for me, and vitamins/healthcare woo for her) during Covid.
    I don't mean to be abrasive, but what in the good **** are you doing paying off a mortgage early???! Put that extra money into VTSAX or even a CD for god's sake.

Leave a comment:

• French Rage
    replied
    Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
    With interest rates, many of us may now be in our forever homes even if we didn’t think this was it- so settle in (insert smiley emoji)
    If being "trapped" in my current house means being trapped with a 2.5% rate, I can live with that.

Leave a comment:

• RENCEB
    replied

I have a couple regrets (but not many) in my life: buying a right sized home for my wife and I at the time and not something bigger is the leader of those.

On the other hand, both times my wife has been out of work since 2020 we've been okay financially, so maybe it's a blessing to have a slightly smaller house?
    I've sometimes regretted not "upselling" from our original house in MA, but it did allow us to buy a second home near a lake in western Maine. Now the primary house is paid off and vacation home will be fully "owned" in January. We've made so many wonderful family memories at the lake.

Interesting to think about how much house one really needs (I vaguely remember George Carlin doing a bit on this). We did perfectly fine raising 3 kids in a 3 bedroom house with 1 1/2 bathrooms. We just made it work.
    Last edited by RENCEB; 10-23-2023, 07:11 PM.

Leave a comment:

• aparch
    replied
    With interest rates, many of us may now be in our forever homes even if we didn’t think this was it- so settle in (insert smiley emoji)

Leave a comment:

• Swansong
    replied
    Yeah, I had/have no intention of moving any time soon (gf and I plan to be here another 10-15 years at least), but with a 2.99% rate on a 30-year fixed, we're going to cling to that like grim death. On the bright side, we've been absolutely dumping money into the mortgage and - if we stopped paying extra today - are 88 months ahead of schedule.

We did the math on 30 year vs. 15 year payments, and decided to go with the 30 but pay extra principle each month to make the payment, effectively, that of a 15 year loan. That way we can get it payed off early but have some runway in case finances change. We're both incredibly lucky to have worked in industries that remained in demand (healthcare IT for me, and vitamins/healthcare woo for her) during Covid.

Leave a comment:

• Deutsche Gopher Fan
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Swansong
    replied
    So I moved my office around, basically swapping the futon and desk. It had been 3 years of the previous layout so it was time for a change. I had been facing out the window, which I loved, and now my back is to the window, which I'm not sure I'm gonna love. But... I just upgraded my monitors from 24" to 34" ultra-wides so my windows were largely blocked anyway. Not I need to get an external camera and higher stands, because my laptop - which used to be the camera I used - sits over on the side instead of in the middle. White collar issues, seriously.

Anyway, moving also really demonstrates just how much my house is settling. I'm now parked right on the sort of tilt section, and everything right here has a noticeable list. Gotta love 100 year old houses. I think this winter/spring we find someone to inspect things and maybe put up some of those pillars down in the basement.

Leave a comment:

• dxmnkd316
    replied
    I'm slowly trying out some additional smart home features. I've had a doorbell camera and thermostat from Nest (now Google) for years but resisted other "smart home" features (mainly resisted Alexa/Google voice hubs because I just cant see the point other than novelty).

I'm thinking of ordering a smart light switch for the porch lights, because I always forget to turn the d*mn thing on when I leave the house in the evening or no ones home to turn them on when late from work.

Anyone else dabble with the IoT / Smart Home features?
    I have virtually everything automated now. I run Home Assistant to unify everything. AMA.

(appliances need not apply. **** that.)

Leave a comment:

• state of hockey
    replied

Anonymous tip to the State Police / FBI that a *pick a long cold case* body was rumored to have been buried under the sidewalk?
    I was thinking have a country launch rockets at it, but yours might be cheaper.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X