Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The Home Improvement Thread. Successes and Failures

🤨

Command might not be ideal. Especially if it’s particle underneath. VHB though lol. That **** holds your planes together.
    Code:
    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
    Originally posted by SanTropez
    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
    Originally posted by bigblue_dl
    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
    Originally posted by Kepler
    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
      🤨

Command might not be ideal. Especially if it’s particle underneath. VHB though lol. That **** holds your planes together.
      I think may had been the texture of the LED strip we are using. The texture is really bizarre. It's up now and curing with painter's tape to hold it in place while the epoxy sets. I'll have a better idea in 24 hours. I'm pretty sure this how the ones at my MIL's were put up (I was looking at them last night when we at dinner, but hers were adhered to the wall rather than the cabinet since they had more flexibility with a new build.)

Comment

SharkBite fittings: yes or no?
        Code:
        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
          No, but I know people that use them. I tried and failed.
          CCT '77 & '78
          4 kids
          5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
          1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
            Been using them in my remodel project, especially where I needed to go old-to-new or in some really tight spaces (like up between floor joists). They seem to work great with PEX and ok with copper (and can transition between the 2) but I found the copper still needs to be "cleaned" to make a good seal. While they claim to be reuseable, the couple I tried did leak.
            Quinnipiac Bobcats
            2023 National Champions
            ECAC Regular Season Champions: 2012-13, 2014-15, 2015-16, 2018-19, 2020-21, 2021-22, 2022-23, 2023-24
            ECAC Tournament Champions: 2016
            East Regional: 2013 (Champions), 2014, 2016 (Champions), 2023 (Champions)
            Northeast Regional:

West Regional: 2015, 2021
            Midwest Regional: 2019, 2022
            Frozen Four: 2013, 2016, 2023 (Champions)

Pass complete. Lipkin has a man in front! Shot... SCORE!!!

Comment

Buried or visible? On what kind of pipe. I wouldn't use them anywhere but that's me

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
              I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Visible and accessible.

It's just a leaking stem on the boiler valve that feeds my washer. I've never had to sweat a fitting before and wanted to see if SharkBite lived up to the hype or if I should just do it the old fashioned way.

The odd thing is the guy looks like he soldered the copper pipe inside the male NPT fitting. I'm 99% sure it's a 1/2" copper tube and the valve has a standard 3/4" MHT outlet, but I've never seen it done like this. Maybe it's normal. Is the tube OD the same as the ID of the threaded fitting?

Or should I just do it right and solder a plain end to NPT adapter fitting and screw the valve into that?

ETA: THe more I think about this, the more I think that guy was insane. THere is no reason to do it the way he did it. I'm probably going to just solder on a new threaded fitting and and install a threaded ball valve instead. I prefer the shutoff capabilities of a good ball valve over the globe or gate valves. It will also make maintenance easier if I have to replace the valve in the future. That makes sense right?
                Last edited by dxmnkd316; 04-04-2018, 09:19 AM.
                Code:

Comment

The odd thing is the guy looks like he soldered the copper pipe inside the male NPT fitting. I'm 99% sure it's a 1/2" copper tube and the valve has a standard 3/4" MHT outlet, but I've never seen it done like this. Maybe it's normal. Is the tube OD the same as the ID of the threaded fitting?
                  they do make combination threaded / solder fittings. the inner diameter is sized for a solder joint, while the outside of the fitting is male threaded. It's usually the same dimension though: 1/2" solder fitting combined with 1/2" male threaded fitting.

Comment

Originally posted by BassAle View Post
                    they do make combination threaded / solder fittings. the inner diameter is sized for a solder joint, while the outside of the fitting is male threaded. It's usually the same dimension though: 1/2" solder fitting combined with 1/2" male threaded fitting.
                    Could be. It's connected to a standard washer hose, which I thought were 3/4" but I've never actually measured them. They don't have the end sizes on the Home Depot website either (for that hose set).
                    Code:

Comment

Gate valves are preferred these days. I hate twisting to turn the water on/off.

My house is an '84. Which means I have a twist valves.
                      CCT '77 & '78
                      4 kids
                      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Could be. It's connected to a standard washer hose, which I thought were 3/4" but I've never actually measured them. They don't have the end sizes on the Home Depot website either (for that hose set).
                        Keep in mind that a 3/4" hose thread is NOT the same as a 3/4" pipe thread.
                        Quinnipiac Bobcats
                        2023 National Champions
                        ECAC Regular Season Champions: 2012-13, 2014-15, 2015-16, 2018-19, 2020-21, 2021-22, 2022-23, 2023-24
                        Northeast Regional:

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                          Gate valves are preferred these days. I hate twisting to turn the water on/off.
                          Gate valves are twist valves. Ball valves are 1/4 turn.
                          Quinnipiac Bobcats
                          2023 National Champions
                          Northeast Regional:

Comment

When buying our house, there was a pipe that had a very slow leak found during the inspection. We asked the sellers to repair that, and have the plumber also replace the gate valves with ball valves while he was at it. They did it without much complaint. Very happy with the decision to reach for that
                            the state of hockey is good

Comment

Originally posted by MarkEagleUSA View Post
                              Keep in mind that a 3/4" hose thread is NOT the same as a 3/4" pipe thread.
                              No, I know. I’m a chemical engineer so I understand piping. I just don’t know a **** thing about home installation

Regarding gate and ball valves, the only reason we would spec gate valves at work is if we can’t have fluid trapped in the ball cavity. Or there’s some sort of issue with the packing. But gates are usually used on stream at work still. Balls are preferred because they’re easier to lock out and have better shut off usually.
                              Code:

Comment

Well, repiped the drain from the A/C and installed hammer arresters on my washer.

I don’t know why I didn’t install the hammer arresters on my washer years ago. No more banging pipes when the solenoid closes.

The AC drain may need to be revisited. It’s a few degrees off plumb and just looks kind of sloppy. Oh well, hopefully the new trap doesn’t leak. I’ve never seen literally every joint on a pvc pipe fail. I could twist them all off with a slight amount of pressure when I took it apart this spring. How does that even happen? I can see he used primer, so he’s not a complete moron. Did he only put a dab of adhesive in it? I don’t know but it’s “fixed”. I’ll get to test it here in the next few days I’m guessing.

Next step is installing a new shutoff valve on the washer cold water line. Haven’t had time to tackle it but now I’ve got some breathing room.

Oh, and as a bonus, the lawnmower started on the first pull this year for the first time in like four years. Thrilled about that.
                                Code:

Comment

Working...
                                X