X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• unofan
    replied
    Originally posted by Kepler View Post

Swansong, I understand hating debt hanging over you. However, if you are forgoing a higher guaranteed return in order to accelerate repayment of a lower interest rate, you are being financially less responsible than the opposite. It took me a lot of emotional adjustment to wrap my mind around that, because I am also terrified of debt.

The math dictates when to carry debt and when to not.
    Math also says I'd save even more money by eating out for lunch one less time each month than I currently do. Seriously.

For ease of math, say I throw $2400/year (or $200/month) extra at the mortgage instead of another investment that would give me a better return by 200 basis points, or 2%. That's a whopping $48 / year difference. At a 4% difference it's $96 / year.

Yes, that all adds up over time, but $50/year is not going to make or break my family's retirement plans compared to whatever unforseen event is going to happen at some point in the next 20 years.

Leave a comment:

• Deutsche Gopher Fan
    replied
    Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post

Oh good. We've got a new chandelier bot
    This exchange with a scammer is…something

https://www.reddit.com/r/scambait/s/pUWPzJnISi

Leave a comment:

• Scarlet
    replied

LOL.

So, I bought new light bulbs to see if the bulb I tested was bad. And the new one worked! So no need to do anything at this time. I don't mind having one not work, but when two didn't, it wasn't very bright. I still will look into maybe getting a new one but now I don't have to rush. Though given my #OppositeGirl powers, I may have just jinxed it. Heh.

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied
    Originally posted by Swansong View Post

I get that, and I don't care much. More importantly, the ol' lady is 100% steadfast on this, so, even if I wanted to...
    Like I said, I get the emotion of it, because I share it. But someday you may need the money you are leaving on the table, and that would suck.

Leave a comment:

• Swansong
    replied
    Originally posted by Kepler View Post

Swansong, I understand hating debt hanging over you. However, if you are forgoing a higher guaranteed return in order to accelerate repayment of a lower interest rate, you are being financially less responsible than the opposite. It took me a lot of emotional adjustment to wrap my mind around that, because I am also terrified of debt.

I get that, and I don't care much. More importantly, the ol' lady is 100% steadfast on this, so, even if I wanted to...

Leave a comment:

• dxmnkd316
    replied
    Originally posted by Laura-4334 View Post

It seem like you are facing repeated issues with your chandelier light receptacles. Deciding between repairing or replacing can be tough. If the chandelier holds sentimental value or is unique, repairing might be worthwhile. However if it is showing wear or an upgrade is in mind replacing it could be a better option. Consult an electrician for advice on the feasibility of repair versus a new installation is wise considering safety and practicality. Ultimately the decision should align with your preferences and budget.

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied

Because debt is prison. Like unofan says, I'm not trying to squeeze every extra penny out of everything. I want to pay off my mortgage as soon as possible, regardless of interest rate, and be debt free by the time I'm in my mid 50's.

Leave a comment:

• walrus
    replied
    Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
    Question for you all - I have a chandelier over my dining room table. It came with the place when I bought it 18 years ago. It takes those lightbulbs that look like candle flames. A year or so ago, one of the receptacles you screw the lightbulb in to, well, stopped working. No lightbulb would work in it at all. I didn't do anything about it because it didn't matter too much. But now it's happened to a second one. So my question is - do you think it's worth it to find an electrician to come fix it, or just buy a new one that an electrician would have to come in and install anyway?
    I would recommend a new fixture. Labor and parts( if available) will be costly and if 2 sockets have gone bad its likely others will follow. New LED fixture will be cheaper to use, probably brighten the room up also.

Leave a comment:

• Laura-4334
    replied
    Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
    Question for you all - I have a chandelier over my dining room table. It came with the place when I bought it 18 years ago. It takes those lightbulbs that look like candle flames. A year or so ago, one of the receptacles you screw the lightbulb in to, well, stopped working. No lightbulb would work in it at all. I didn't do anything about it because it didn't matter too much. But now it's happened to a second one. So my question is - do you think it's worth it to find an electrician to come fix it, or just buy a new one that an electrician would have to come in and install anyway? for roofing concerns in Oakton VA you may want to more guide and detail Roofing Oakton VA to local services..
    It seem like you are facing repeated issues with your chandelier light receptacles. Deciding between repairing or replacing can be tough. If the chandelier holds sentimental value or is unique, repairing might be worthwhile. However if it is showing wear or an upgrade is in mind replacing it could be a better option. Consult an electrician for advice on the feasibility of repair versus a new installation is wise considering safety and practicality. Ultimately the decision should align with your preferences and budget.

Leave a comment:

• dxmnkd316
    replied

Because debt is prison. Like unofan says, I'm not trying to squeeze every extra penny out of everything. I want to pay off my mortgage as soon as possible, regardless of interest rate, and be debt free by the time I'm in my mid 50's.
    Fair enough. I get it and don't begrudge you for paying it off early.

Leave a comment:

• Swansong
    replied

I don't mean to be abrasive, but what in the good **** are you doing paying off a mortgage early???! Put that extra money into VTSAX or even a CD for god's sake.

Leave a comment:

• dxmnkd316
    replied
    Originally posted by unofan View Post

The nice thing about being a solidly upper middle class dual-income professional family is the ability to not have to worry about constantly seeking the absolute best returns on everything. Not like we can take it with us, we still have sufficient rainy day funds set aside, and I'd rather spend my time and mental energy elsewhere, so I do. And I understand that's a privilege.

We're fortunate enough to be at a point where we don't have to worry about maximizing everything. If we get a 5% overall return on our savings instead of 6% because I threw money at the mortgage instead of into a CD, oh well. I'm still fortunate enough to have money in savings.

It's not like we're spendthrifts; I drive a 7-year-old Honda CRV and most years our biggest vacation is flying to Vegas on Southwest to visit my parents for Thanksgiving. And we absolutely had our penny-pinching moments for the first decade after law school when we had student loans plus two car loans plus rent and eventually our first mortgage and a baby, all on two state government salaries for baby attorneys which, I assure you, are not the same as what a first year associate in Big Law is making.

If a coupon is in front of me I'll use it, if things are on sale that's great and we may stock up on that to take advantage of the sale, but I'm not driving across town or hitting up three different stores just to save $2 on soda here and $1.50 on butter there.
    I'm right there with you on the coupon and sale front. We stock up on items if they're on sale and buy limited quantities of things that aren't. But yeah, screw that, we're not going 30 minutes out of our way to save a buck.

Leave a comment:

• Scarlet
    replied
    Question for you all - I have a chandelier over my dining room table. It came with the place when I bought it 18 years ago. It takes those lightbulbs that look like candle flames. A year or so ago, one of the receptacles you screw the lightbulb in to, well, stopped working. No lightbulb would work in it at all. I didn't do anything about it because it didn't matter too much. But now it's happened to a second one. So my question is - do you think it's worth it to find an electrician to come fix it, or just buy a new one that an electrician would have to come in and install anyway?

Leave a comment:

• unofan
    replied

Wow
    The nice thing about being a solidly upper middle class dual-income professional family is the ability to not have to worry about constantly seeking the absolute best returns on everything. Not like we can take it with us, we still have sufficient rainy day funds set aside, and I'd rather spend my time and mental energy elsewhere, so I do. And I understand that's a privilege.

We're fortunate enough to be at a point where we don't have to worry about maximizing everything. If we get a 5% overall return on our savings instead of 6% because I threw money at the mortgage instead of into a CD, oh well. I'm still fortunate enough to have money in savings.

It's not like we're spendthrifts; I drive a 7-year-old Honda CRV and most years our biggest vacation is flying to Vegas on Southwest to visit my parents for Thanksgiving. And we absolutely had our penny-pinching moments for the first decade after law school when we had student loans plus two car loans plus rent and eventually our first mortgage and a baby, all on two state government salaries for baby attorneys which, I assure you, are not the same as what a first year associate in Big Law is making.

If a coupon is in front of me I'll use it, if things are on sale that's great and we may stock up on that to take advantage of the sale, but I'm not driving across town or hitting up three different stores just to save $2 on soda here and $1.50 on butter there.

Leave a comment:

• French Rage
    replied

The other regret was not turning my ESPP off earlier and selling as soon as the holding period ended. That was a five-figure mistake.
    I sell that the second it's available, that way I get 15% regardless. Turning off, though? Why, if I may ask?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X