Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: POTUS 45.11: Attack! Repeat. Atrack!!!

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
    The TSA thing was a race/racism tangent on my part, which is related to the immigration point. I should have clarified that better.

As for "going out in a field and working," go back to the min wage debate going on. Many say that only illegals will work for that low pay. Well, if we get rid of cheap labor, companies will basically be forced to raise wages (and not this mandatory $15/hr bs we have going on) and then yes, folks will take those jobs. By the way, I work blue collar. Not a glamorous job, not a high-paying job (I make enough to live off of), it's physically demanding, and I like the work.

Finally, I agree with Handy. You can THINK and SPEAK whatever you want, you have that right. Once one starts ACTING on that hatred...yeah, we have a problem.
    Except that you posted that the Israeli version of TSA would prevent some illegal immigration. I can quote it again.

And my point is that the TSA screening has zero impact on immigration- legal or otherwise.

Where the TSA works, you can NOT enter the US without multiple checks of a valid visa. And none of those checks are via the TSA- so even if someone had an invalid visa (of any kind) the TSA is not where it would be found.

We can have a full discussion of wages and work- but listening to what some farmers say, I don't agree that farm work is as simple as raising wages. I fully know you are a blue collar worker, and my point is- would you go out into a field at your wage right now? What wage would it take for you to pick strawberries for 8 hours a day? Or cabbage? But that's a complete different thread. (and we won't even bring up the accessibility of those jobs- most of the people without jobs are no where near where the jobs are, and likely don't want to live there, either)

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
      Except that you posted that the Israeli version of TSA would prevent some illegal immigration. I can quote it again.

And my point is that the TSA screening has zero impact on immigration- legal or otherwise.

Where the TSA works, you can NOT enter the US without multiple checks of a valid visa. And none of those checks are via the TSA- so even if someone had an invalid visa (of any kind) the TSA is not where it would be found.

We can have a full discussion of wages and work- but listening to what some farmers say, I don't agree that farm work is as simple as raising wages. I fully know you are a blue collar worker, and my point is- would you go out into a field at your wage right now? What wage would it take for you to pick strawberries for 8 hours a day? Or cabbage? But that's a complete different thread. (and we won't even bring up the accessibility of those jobs- most of the people without jobs are no where near where the jobs are, and likely don't want to live there, either)
      And that's why I clarified what I was saying. The US isn't adopting Israeli tactics because that is "racial profiling" in our culture. It only relates to the immigration thing, because when we start talking illegal/legal immigrants, racism is immediately brought to the forefront to defend illegal immigrants; do you know what I mean? (honestly, not intending this to sound like I'm talking down to you).
      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
      Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Guardian reporting that Nigel Farer, brexit architect, is now a person of interest in the Trump campaign- Russia probe

http://thehill.com/policy/national-s...i-probe-report

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
          How in the world is "bullying is ok so long as you're bullying someone else" the logical conclusion of my posts???
          I have no idea how anyone could think that about someone that has spent almost a year giving kneejerk defenses of Donald Trump.
          Originally posted by dicaslover
          Yep, you got it. I heart Maize.

Originally posted by Kristin
          Maybe I'm missing something but you just asked me which MSU I go to and then you knew the theme of my homecoming, how do you know one and not the other?

Western College Hockey Blog

Comment

And that's why I clarified what I was saying. The US isn't adopting Israeli tactics because that is "racial profiling" in our culture. It only relates to the immigration thing, because when we start talking illegal/legal immigrants, racism is immediately brought to the forefront to defend illegal immigrants; do you know what I mean? (honestly, not intending this to sound like I'm talking down to you).
            The US isn't adopting it because the Courts are stopping it. The Trump administration is all for it.
            **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
            Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by rufus View Post
              You don't have to punish them. But you also don't have to go out of your way to acknowledge those beliefs and feelings, to relate to those people as if those feelings are perfectly acceptable and a valid viewpoint. To tolerate those feelings. They need to be shunned, not mainstreamed.

Brent and Slappy just think we need to speak to them as equals, and all their hatred and bigotry will just go away.
              Let me ask you this.

Do you think there has been a change of opinion of some of the population regarding things like race, or bigotry against gays and lesbians, in say the last 75 years in this country? That is, if we were able to look into everyone's minds 75 years ago and reveal their thoughts on blacks, or on gays and lesbians, and compare that with today's thoughts by the entire population, do you think we'd see some level of improvement?

I do. I'm not 75 years old, but I'm approaching 60 and I can tell you for a fact there is a lot more tolerance for gays and lesbians in the community at large than there was say in even the 1970's.

There is still a lot of bigotry and hatred in this country. There will always be a lot of bigotry and hatred in this country. All you can do is chip away at it, as has been done certainly for all the years I've been around, and long before that. You don't chip away at it by "shunning" or by ignoring people. You don't do it by hating them back. You do your best to show them a better way. If it sticks, great. If not, you've done your best. It's a lot like second grade math. It took some longer than others, and some never got it.
              That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                The US isn't adopting it because the Courts are stopping it. The Trump administration is all for it.
                The courts are stopping it because they (to the best of my knowledge) are interpreting that as racism.
                Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

Originally posted by MaizeRage View Post
                  I have no idea how anyone could think that about someone that has spent almost a year giving kneejerk defenses of Donald Trump.
                  You're going to have to jog my memory by linking me to some of those posts. As I've said before, I don't claim a perfect memory but I don't recall much in the way of a defense of Donald Trump coming out of my computer keyboard.
                  That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

The courts are stopping it because they (to the best of my knowledge) are interpreting that as racism.
                    No. Not racism. Religious beliefs.
                    **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                      No. Not racism. Religious beliefs.
                      Is that what it is? (actually wondering, no snark/sarcasm)

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
                        I mean seriously, the GOP has made an entire hate media industry out of bullying the left wing. But oh noes, the Dems fight back and they're the bad guys.
                        http://www.slapupsidethehead.com/wp-...-opression.jpg
                        Cornell University
                        National Champion 1967, 1970
                        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Never said that.
                          But you condemn one, and say nothing about the other. Just another example of your false equivalency.
                          What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Other than the racism part of profiling, and the racism part of most illegal immigration fear policy- there's no relationship between the TSA an immigration, then?

Comment

Originally posted by rufus View Post
                              But you condemn one, and say nothing about the other. Just another example of your false equivalency.
                              And if I don't defend one, that obviously means I'm condemning him/her? Works both ways.

Comment

Is that what it is? (actually wondering, no snark/sarcasm)
                                When the TSA or CBP singles out Muslims, what would you call it?

Comment

Working...
                                X