Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The PPACA Thread Part V: Doctor! Doctor! Give me the news!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The PPACA Thread Part V: Doctor! Doctor! Give me the news!

Establishment GOP wants status quo. Dems don't like it because it's signed by an R. Rand Paul doesn't like it for the right reasons. https://www.infowars.com/rand-paul-t...althcare-bill/

Comment

Only in these crazy hyperventilating times could reducing the rate of growth of something, having something continue to grow, yet merely grow more slowly than before, be excoriated as a draconian "cut" in spending.....
      "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
        Only in these crazy hyperventilating times could reducing the rate of growth of something, having something continue to grow, yet merely grow more slowly than before, be excoriated as a draconian "cut" in spending.....
        How did military spending get into this?
        Cornell University
        National Champion 1967, 1970
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

It's been that way for a long, long time. Don't fool yourself.
          "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

• Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
            If you are initially authorized to spend 100 million, and find out you are only getting 95 million, that is still a cut even if you only spent 94 million last year. People will lose their jobs, expected services won't be provided, and people like you will biatch about government being broken if it's something that directly affects you.

Then you will turn around and vote for the people who will break the government.

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
              Budgets matter. And the cost of health care increases every minute. So, any cuts are cuts. Period.
              **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
              Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

It was OK when the AHCA was only murdering the Poors. Now it's serious.

“As we did with all 435 Members of the House of Representatives, AARP will also hold all 100 Senators accountable for their votes on this harmful health care bill. Our members care deeply about their health care and have told us repeatedly that they want to know where their elected officials stand. We strongly urge the Senate to reject this bill.”
                AARP is 4x as lethal a lobby as the NRA. Only about fifty percent of men have small dicks, but 100% of both sexes are planning on being old.
                Last edited by Kepler; 06-23-2017, 01:46 PM.
                Cornell University
                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Another Nyet.
                  Cornell University

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                    We've been living in crazy hyperventilating times at least since 1998 or so....

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
                      If you are initially authorized to spend 100 million, and find out you are only getting 95 million, that is still a cut even if you only spent 94 million last year. People will lose their jobs, expected services won't be provided, and people like you will biatch about government being broken if it's something that directly affects you.
                      Totally nonresponsive to the actual original post.

If the forward-looking budget from 2017 to 2025 is projected to grow at 5% each year and the forward-looking budget is adjusted to grow at 3% per year, not a single dollar of the 2017 budget is changed. The 2025 budget will be substantially larger in dollar terms either way. There is no "cut" involved in this year's budget at all, nor is there a "cut" in next year's budget either. It grows in both situations.

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                        AARP is 4x as lethal a lobby as the NRA. Only about fifty percent of men have small dicks, but 100% of both sexes are planning on being old.
                        There is a big difference between what AARP staff want and what AARP members want. The staff wanted PPACA while surveys of seniors in 2010 showed that a majority of seniors strongly opposed it because it took funds from Medicare to finance its promised "benefits."

Comment

It's too bad we can't get some historical track record for various experts' "predictions."

All the projections about the "benefits" of PPACA from 2010 were way, way off compared to what actually happened afterward. These blah-blah-blah "experts" we are hearing from now are just as likely to be wildly inaccurate as well.

They all assume that nobody will change their behavior in the slightest in response to changing incentives. the one thing we know for sure is that incentives matter. Logically, the one thing we know for sure is that all these "experts" are going to be wrong this time as well.

Comment

One of the posters here, I wish I could find the original post, typified perfectly the problem we face:

"I want everyone to have access to above-average healthcare."

and it was said with complete sincerity.

Comment

There is a big difference between what AARP staff want and what AARP members want. The staff wanted PPACA while surveys of seniors in 2010 showed that a majority of seniors strongly opposed it because it took funds from Medicare to finance its promised "benefits."
                              IIRC the staff wanted it because AARP was going to be/is in the supplemental insurance market.
                              CCT '77 & '78
                              4 kids
                              5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                              1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

There is a big difference between what AARP staff want and what AARP members want.
                                This is certainly true of the NRA.

I don't know what point you are trying to make about seniors. The AHCA is about as popular with them as ptomaine.
                                Cornell University

Comment

Working...
                                X