Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The PPACA Thread Part V: Doctor! Doctor! Give me the news!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The PPACA Thread Part V: Doctor! Doctor! Give me the news!

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
    No, 9/11 is when we lost our minds.
    We lost our way in 1980 when we decided that Ayn Rand was God.
    This is an interesting take on the whole situation.

We know that Donald Trump Jr. and people high up in the Trump campaign were actively seeking to meet with Russians. . . to obtain information about their opponent Hillary Clinton, and were disappointed when they didn’t get it, which is collusion by any standard. But also know...that Trump has been inept. He’s embarrassed us on the world scene. He seems to lack knowledge or curiousity. we know that his healthcare is a debacle, that his travel ban was worse. But he’s embarrassed us. He lies at every turn, and he continues to not lose support among his core constituents, even though his approval rating is around 36% with people who I call of average intelligence. People who continue to support him, it’s 85%-89% among Republicans that support him. I have an interesting reason as to why that is.

I think that those people. . . the idea of America. . . you would think if somebody betrayed America by dealing with a foreign power, it would be the height, that would be it, that would be intolerable. But I’ll tell you why I think that hasn’t happened. I think that those people who still support Trump believe that America left them a long time ago. It left them when it got a black President. It left them when it let all these immigrants in. It left them when it gave gays the right to marry. It left them when women excelled. It left them a long time ago. . .

The country that they once knew and loved is gone. And then all of a sudden they hear a man say all of the things they wish they could say, and couldn’t, who’ll deliver America back again. It’ll be theirs again. **** all these foreigners! . . .

He looked them right in the eye and told ‘em, he was going to give it back. And Russia was his instrument. Russia delivered their ‘Messiah’ to them, and they don’t care how it happened. If you were drowning, would you care from where your help came? You wouldn’t care at all. And I think the thing for them is that that is more important than anything else — their goal of getting America back, ‘cuz America is dead to them. The America that they know is dead to them. It’s interesting, ‘cuz I was trying to find a way to encapsulate all of this and I ran across this script’ . . . not that I read the Bible all the time, trust me, but this seemed to typify exactly my thoughts on this thing. It is from 1 Kings, Chapter 3, 16-18.

There were two prostitutes that came to the king and stood before him. One of them said, ’pardon me my lord, this woman and I lived in the same house, and I had a baby while she was there with me. The 3rd day after my child was born, this woman also had a baby. We were alone, there was no one in the house but the two of us. During the night, this woman’s son died because she lay on him. So she got up in the middle of the night and took my son from my side while I, your servant, was asleep. She put him by her breast and she put her dead son by my breast. The next morning, I got up to nurse my son and he was dead. But I looked at him closely in the morning light, and I saw that it wasn’t by son who I had born. The other woman said, “No, the living son is mine, the dead one is yours. The living one is mine.” And they argued before the king. The king said: “This one says my son is alive and your son is dead, while the other one says, no, your son is dead and my son is alive. . . Bring me a sword.” So they brought the king a sword. He then gave the order: “Cut the living child into two and give half to one, and half to the other.”

The woman whose son. . . was alive, was deeply moved out of love for the son and said to the king. . . “please my lord, give her the living baby, do not kill him.” But the other said, “Neither I, nor you shall have him. Cut him in two.”

So there was one woman who loved that baby so much that she said I don’t care if you’re with me or not, as long as you’re alive. The joy of you being alive is what I’m after. It’ll hurt me that you’re not with me, but live, and be with someone else. The other woman said, no, I don’t want the baby, and I don’t want you to have it. I want us both to know the pain of loss. I want you to cut this baby in half. I want it to be dead to both of us.
    I submit to you that that is EXACTLY how Trump supporters feel. They would rather have a dead half-a-country than a whole one that exists without them. They would rather cut this country in half, and have it die off than have it been something they felt not a part of. I honestly believe they would rather have a dead country than the America that moves forward. So they don’t care about Russia. They don’t care about walls. They just care about this: ‘If I can’t have this country the way my fathers had it, then it should die. If it can’t be mine, and mine alone, the it should die. I don’t care if it lives without me. Cut this baby in half. I’d rather have a dead half-a-country than a whole one that exists without me.’
    Last edited by Kepler; 07-28-2017, 12:42 PM.
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
      The Black Horde is an old conservative chestnut. In their fever dreams they believe society will break down and the darkies will spill out of the cities like army ants coming for their crops and daughters.

It's why they stockpile all the guns.
      My post had zero to do with race. Its sad that is what you would read into it. In any case, my point stands that the wrong people are driving both parties.
      Originally posted by BobbyBrady
      Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
        My post had zero to do with race. Its sad that is what you would read into it.
        Let's go to the videotape:

I think Republicans need to acknowledge there is an element in the party that is very undesirable. In a lot of respects, it is equivalent to the inner city welfare crowd that always go for democrats.
        And now let's get an assist from Lee Atwater:

You start out in 1954 by saying, “N-gger, n-gger, n-gger.” By 1968 you can't say “n-gger” — that hurts you. Backfires. So you say stuff like forced busing, states' rights and all that stuff. You're getting so abstract now [that] you're talking about cutting taxes, and all these things you're talking about are totally economic things and a byproduct of them is [that] blacks get hurt worse than whites. And subconsciously maybe that is part of it. I'm not saying that. But I'm saying that if it is getting that abstract, and that coded, that we are doing away with the racial problem one way or the other. You follow me — because obviously sitting around saying, “We want to cut this,” is much more abstract than even the busing thing, and a hell of a lot more abstract than “N-gger, n-gger.”

Interview with Alexander P. Lamis (8 July 1981), as quoted in The Two-Party South (1984)‎ by Alexander P. Lamis
        And some context:

"Inner city," in short, is imprecise in describing today’s urban reality. It captures neither the true geography of poverty or black America, nor the quality of life in many communities in central cities. But politically, its 1970s-era meaning lingers.

“I think it’s actually very useful, and it’s useful as a synonym for ‘black,’” said N. D. B. Connolly, a historian at Johns Hopkins University who never uses the phrase himself. It doesn’t matter, he says, that the term as Mr. Trump uses it is no longer demographically accurate.

The point is, it doesn’t have to be, because what it does is it conjures a narrative about what happened in America during and after the 1960s,” Professor Connolly said. “The inner city is the place that burned when King was assassinated. It was Watts. It was the place Ronald Reagan had to try to conduct the war on drugs.”

The phrase can also imply, Professor Connolly argues, that the problems of “inner cities” are of their own making — and are not the result of decades of policies that withheld mortgages, abetted discrimination or undermined schools. It might be more accurate to call them “disinvested neighborhoods.” That language acknowledges that society actively chose to withhold investment from these places (but that not all urban neighborhoods suffered that fate). Or “neighborhoods of concentrated poverty” might be a better phrase: If what we really want to talk about is deep poverty, this recognizes that it can be found anywhere, whether in rural Appalachia, suburbia or Detroit.
        As we've told Fishy, you can pull that kind of stuff on intellectually slovenly echo chamber sites like Redstate, the Blaze or PJMedia, but the requirements are higher here. Up your game or go back to the minors.

Again, as we've told Fishy, we don't mind you being a talking point dispenser, we only mind if you're lazy about it. Show us some respect when you try to play games.
        Last edited by Kepler; 07-28-2017, 01:11 PM.
        Cornell University
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

I think Republicans need to acknowledge there is an element in the party that is very undesirable.
          62 million of you voted for Trump. That's not an element, it's stage 4.

Comment

• Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
            My post had zero to do with race. Its sad that is what you would read into it. In any case, my point stands that the wrong people are driving both parties.
            Sure. And when sports announcers refer to some players as scrappy and others as athletic, those also have no racial connotations, either.

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
              Sure. And when sports announcers refer to some players as scrappy and others as athletic, those also have no racial connotations, either.
              Hey, now. Drew doesn't see color. He's just concerned about what's going on in the "inner city."

Any more dog whistles and I expect NAPALM to come running...
              Cornell University

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                The party is not a joke. The leadership needs to be replaced.
                I really think you're missing the boat on this one, joe. How does the party leadership become "The Leadership?" They're put into place for holding unpopular positions within the party? Yes, there will be dissent, but there's always some level of dissent.
                "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

• Originally posted by unofan View Post
                  Either way tom Brady is a cheater
                  a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

So then explain how your deplorable are at all similar with inner city welfare people.

We have racist xenophobes in one corner and poor people (normally of non white race) in the other.

I don't get that connection what so ever.

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                      This is an interesting take on the whole situation.
                      that makes a lot of sense, now.

Very much adds to the contempt I have for people who have no problem with the russian investigation, as whole, though.

We won the cold war, but some want us to lose it for the sake of losing it.

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                        Either way tom Brady is a cheater
                        So say we all.
                        Cornell University

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                          We won the cold war, but some want us to lose it for the sake of losing it.
                          https://www.thenation.com/article/a-...e-under-trump/
                          Cornell University

Comment

• Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                            that makes a lot of sense, now.
                            Agreed. I knew of the parable, but wasn't sure how it fit. But then it was made pretty obvious.

Thanks for that Kep!
                            “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

• Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                              So then explain how your deplorable are at all similar with inner city welfare people.

We have racist xenophobes in one corner and poor people (normally of non white race) in the other.

I don't get that connection what so ever.
                              You don't think a lot of the 'deplorables' are poor as well? I think my comment in a lot of ways goes back to the WSJ article I referenced a few weeks ago about rural areas being the new inner city. Read that and get back to me.
                              Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                              Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

• Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
                                You don't think a lot of the 'deplorables' are poor as well? I think my comment in a lot of ways goes back to the WSJ article I referenced a few weeks ago about rural areas being the new inner city. Read that and get back to me.
                                You are obviously referring to the rural blacks all over New England. So stop it you racists swine!!
                                a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Working...
                                X