Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The PPACA Thread Part V: Doctor! Doctor! Give me the news!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The PPACA Thread Part V: Doctor! Doctor! Give me the news!

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
    Oh, they wanted. They had 800 billion reasons to want it.

Ultimately this not passing may be a bad thing. No one is really going to fix the system now. And, our President is actively campaigning for Obamacare to fail so he can hold a gun to the Democrats heads. This could blow up in the Democrats face just like most things do. When you're the only ones governing the country you end up responsible for everything that happens.
    We'll see.

The thing is, once the reality of what it meat to appeal the ACA hit the public, they demanded that it does not get full repeal. Otherwise, all of those super angry people demanding to have health care would have been the original ones accusing the government of having death conferences. Now that we see how the public likes it, it's now safe for Democrats to run WITH the ACA instead of hiding from it. To the point that they can accuse republicans of hijacking it and making it fail. Again, who is in charge, now, matters.

If enough R's finally reach across the chamber, and work the problem- that could all be turned on it's head.

It's easy to have hearings to figure out what in the ACA doesn't work or isn't working as intended and just fix it. That, for sure, would get both sides talking. Then you can have a 55-45 win with the 45 no's evenly split between the super conservatives who want no public assistance and the super liberal democrats who want 100% single payer. That would be progress. Even if it's 51-49 but with a decent distribution of votes.

But I don't see that happening soon, with republicans blaming democrats for them being excluded from private and closed meetings.

Comment

Originally posted by BassAle View Post
      Obama told the democrats healthcare was worth jeopardizing their chances for re-election. They went along with him.
      And now that threat has been turned around, hasn't it?

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
        We'll see.

The thing is, once the reality of what it meat to appeal the ACA hit the public, they demanded that it does not get full repeal. Otherwise, all of those super angry people demanding to have health care would have been the original ones accusing the government of having death conferences. Now that we see how the public likes it, it's now safe for Democrats to run WITH the ACA instead of hiding from it. To the point that they can accuse republicans of hijacking it and making it fail. Again, who is in charge, now, matters.

If enough R's finally reach across the chamber, and work the problem- that could all be turned on it's head.

It's easy to have hearings to figure out what in the ACA doesn't work or isn't working as intended and just fix it. That, for sure, would get both sides talking. Then you can have a 55-45 win with the 45 no's evenly split between the super conservatives who want no public assistance and the super liberal democrats who want 100% single payer. That would be progress. Even if it's 51-49 but with a decent distribution of votes.

But I don't see that happening soon, with republicans blaming democrats for them being excluded from private and closed meetings.
        You're putting too much thought into this. People didn't want the ACA repealed, they wanted Obamacare repealed. Now why would that be...

Comment

We'll see.

We'll see if it works. The problem is Republicans lying about what is actual going on works and has worked for years. Breaking that logjam is going to be difficult to near impossible for the Democrats.
          **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
          Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by bronconick View Post
            McCain is a no. Shocked, tbh.
            Me too. Gotta hand it to the old fart, he did deliver in the end.
            Cornell University
            National Champion 1967, 1970
            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

We'll see if it works. The problem is Republicans lying about what is actual going on works and has worked for years. Breaking that logjam is going to be difficult to near impossible for the Democrats.
              If in 18 more months, nothing has happened, well- that will end up being a very interesting mid-term.

Comment

Now that we see how the public likes it, it's now safe for Democrats to run WITH the ACA instead of hiding from it. To the point that they can accuse republicans of hijacking it and making it fail. Again, who is in charge, now, matters.

The Democrats and the Republican Moderates could form a working majority and neuter the orcs. They would each get credit for professionalism and compromise and moving the country forward, and that would leave Hate Radio and Fox sputtering out in the cold with the Freedumb Caucus.

With significant achievements the GOP Moderates would be able to withstand primary challenges from the far right nutbars who have now been exposed as failures, and the country would benefit from the banishing of this domestic political terrorist movement that has destroyed governance since the mid-90s. The Democrats would lose the chance to have a tidal wave election in 2018, but the amputation of the Bircher lunatic right would be a long run win since the Overton window would readjust to where it has normally been in American politics.

And don't think Trump would reject this out of hand -- he has zero political ideas, he only wants to be lionized, and he could play the part of the Great Statesman who finally healed the nation. Plus he could turn his snark on the hard right and actually be applauded by the public rather than vilified.

This can be done, but the GOP needs new leadership in Congress. Ryan as one of the pinwheel-eyed radicals has to go. McConnell could theoretically stay -- he has no principles and just wants a featherbed for his donors and cronies -- but he's probably too damaged and just too darn untrustworthy to build a sane coalition around. Lamar Alexander or somebody like that would be a better choice. Heck, maybe even Murkowski or Collins.
                Last edited by Kepler; 07-28-2017, 08:53 AM.
                Cornell University
                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                  Me too. Gotta hand it to the old fart, he did deliver in the end.
                  Isn't this exactly what we predicted was going to happen back when everyone here got their panties in a bunch over passage of the House bill?

The House is where the Republican vulnerability lie. They had to give the base what they wanted. It was going to die in the Senate. It just had to be done in a way not to affect the mid terms.

Collins, Murkowski, McCain.

Collins is popular. If Murkowski gets ousted in Alaska for voting no, it's going to be by another Republican who will then win the seat. McCain will be dead and his vote will be forgotten.

There was no way the Senate could pass this bill. That would have been political suicide for the Republicans. But right now every single one of them in both the House and Senate are going to be able to go back to the base and correctly claim "we tried." Just Collins, Murkowski and McCain.

I don't know that I would necessarily laugh at the job of the Senate leadership on this one.
                  That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                    Isn't this exactly what we predicted was going to happen back when everyone here got their panties in a bunch over passage of the House bill?

The House is where the Republican vulnerability lie. They had to give the base what they wanted. It was going to die in the Senate. It just had to be done in a way not to affect the mid terms.

Collins, Murkowski, McCain.

Collins is popular. If Murkowski gets ousted in Alaska for voting no, it's going to be by another Republican who will then win the seat. McCain will be dead and his vote will be forgotten.

There was no way the Senate could pass this bill. That would have been political suicide for the Republicans. But right now every single one of them in both the House and Senate are going to be able to go back to the base and correctly claim "we tried." Just Collins, Murkowski and McCain.

I don't know that I would necessarily laugh at the job of the Senate leadership on this one.
                    Exactly what I fear. Nothing will change. This is the exact result they wanted.
                    **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Hilarious that you folks think that the general public understands or cares about whether the GOP is lying or not when they blame the Dems.

And the Dems don't know how to street fight and can't get out of their own way to fight back. Bunch of *******.

Love whenever I see their "star" Elizabeth Warren. She always sounds like she's about to start crying.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                        The Democrats and the Republican Moderates could form a working majority and neuter the orcs. They would each get credit for professionalism and compromise and moving the country forward, and that would leave Hate Radio and Fox sputtering out in the cold with the Freedumb Caucus.

With significant achievements the GOP Moderates would be able to withstand primary challenges from the far right nutbars who have now been exposed as failures, and the country would benefit from the banishing of this domestic political terrorist movement that has destroyed governance since the mid-90s. The Democrats would lose the chance to have a tidal wave election in 2018, but the amputation of the Bircher lunatic right would be a long run win since the Overton window would readjust to where it has normally been in American politics.
                        Collins is incredibly safe in her seat. She is insanely popular in Maine. She is probably going to run for governor though. She's getting old and has probably had enough with the GOP nutjobs in Washington.

Comment

You can pretend this was all part of the plan but it wasnt. There is a reason Mitch had two speeches on he floor written (one for a win and one for a loss) and sounded like a 5 year old who lost in Little League after the vote. Watch the videos the look on his face when McCain votes no goes from "Happy" to "You Have to be Kidding Me". He wanted this to pass, he threw a ton of political capitol and all of his strength as Majority Leader behind it. He even attempted to bribe Murkowski with special additions that only Alaska qualified for. Mitch and the GOP caucus was all in.

The problem was they werent able to do it fast enough and attempted to do it in secret. When the video went viral of the GOP Whip accusing the Dems of not playing along and helping even after (during the video) Schumer says "pull the bill and we can talk about fixing it but we wont repeal" along with the GOP Whip saying "you never read the bill" to which Schumer and other Dems said "we all read it but there is nothing in it" causing again the Whip to again change his tune and say it was incomplete cause it was only a draft...that was the beginning of the end. Then the CBO put out its numbers and it was dead.
                          Last edited by Handyman; 07-28-2017, 09:31 AM.
                          "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                          -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                          -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                          -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Exactly what I fear. Nothing will change. This is the exact result they wanted.
                            Then you didnt watch Scooby...the GOP is not that good of actors. And now their tax cuts are all but dead.
                            "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                            -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                            -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                            -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                              And now their tax cuts are all but dead.
                              The Republican party is a machine for stealing public assets and handing them to the 1%. It can't be reasoned with. It doesn't feel pity or remorse or fear, and it absolutely will not stop, ever.
                              Cornell University

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                                Then you didnt watch Scooby...the GOP is not that good of actors. And now their tax cuts are all but dead.
                                We'll see. I hope so. But, we'll see.

Comment

Working...
                                X