• Show
Clear All

• walrus
    replied
    The fans are awesome, the dart throwing holy crap

Leave a comment:

• Jimjamesak
    replied
    The World Darts Championship is insane and I want to attend one day.

Leave a comment:

• dxmnkd316
    replied
    100% agree. There were some monumental tasks carried out on a seemingly inconsequential island.

Leave a comment:

• MichVandal
    replied
    Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    I still watch it. It's a lot of the same.

Dirt? On an island? Next to the water? In Canada? In the spring?

(it's not that bad but... almost)

bigblue_dl told me that he isn't sure anything like a treasure is buried there. But something happened on that island and it's interesting.

I think he's right. I don't think they'll find buried treasure. But I do enjoy the archaeology and the history when they stay away from the Templar nonsense.
    We watch it, too. At least they are finding more things than they did a few seasons ago.

And also agree that it's not likely there's anything there of financial value. Something did happen, and it will be interesting to get to the bottom of it. Could change history or could be a basic footnote. But constructing a tunnel like that on an island so close to the ocean can't have been trivial- so the who's and why's have to be pretty significant.

Leave a comment:

• dxmnkd316
    replied
    I still watch it. It's a lot of the same.

Dirt? On an island? Next to the water? In Canada? In the spring?

(it's not that bad but... almost)

bigblue_dl told me that he isn't sure anything like a treasure is buried there. But something happened on that island and it's interesting.

I think he's right. I don't think they'll find buried treasure. But I do enjoy the archaeology and the history when they stay away from the Templar nonsense.

Leave a comment:

• state of hockey
    replied
    Awesome but terrible show. It being so formulaic made it feel like a big, warm hug during the early pandemic in our house. Crack open a few beers and laugh at these guys tear apart an island for a few hours. Eventually we ran out of episodes to see for the first time and they were between seasons, so we were forced to take a break and we never got into it again.

I believe those yoopers are still out there slammin can, though.

Leave a comment:

• dxmnkd316
    replied
    Originally posted by Kepler View Post

Is that a serious recommendation? I'll try anything twice.
    Oak Island metal detection expert Gary Drayton. It's his uh... little pick up line when he finds something good. Great terrible show. Love watching it. But like, it's bad. Or at least chunks of it are ahistorical and not great.

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied

Bobby dazzler or GTFO
    Is that a serious recommendation? I'll try anything twice.

Leave a comment:

• dxmnkd316
    replied
    Originally posted by state of hockey View Post

It really is all about those top pocket finds. Especially ones from the sixteen oondreds.
    Lmao. Perfect.

Leave a comment:

• state of hockey
    replied

Bobby dazzler or GTFO
    It really is all about those top pocket finds. Especially ones from the sixteen oondreds.

Leave a comment:

• dxmnkd316
    replied
    Originally posted by Kepler View Post
    Going to try this in 2023.
    Bobby dazzler or GTFO

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied
    Going to try this in 2023.

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied
    Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
    "Dork", "Geek", and "Nerd" have all gone through a 180* shift in context over the last 20 years within a majority of American society. They were all derogatory in the 80's but have become compliments and badges of honor.
    When I was in high school in the late 70s, early 80s:
    • Dork was intended to be hurtful by the dumb kids, but smart kids actually took it as a pet name for each other.
    • Geek was fightin' words. It was used by the dumb kids to attack smart or othered kids and it was perfectly justified to attempt to break somebody's face over that.
    • Nerd was already a term of endearment, even among dumb kids. In fact smart kids would bridle when dumb kids would call each other "nerd," for something like actually doing the reading. It was stolen valor for what they perceived as being brain work but which was the HS equivalent of admiring Malcolm Gladwell.

Forever September seems to have changed everything, since now EVERYONE is a slave to screens, even the jocks and cheerleaders. I'm sure dumb kids still pick on smart kids out of fear and hatred just as sure I am that some kids grow up to be Republicans. Hopefully calling kids gay as an insult has died off. In my HS the only kids who used the n word were the worst trash derps of the Palin variety, but ten years before when my brother was in HS it was still the ubiquitous go to insult, as gay was when I was in school.

There must be new slurs that have replaced the old ones, though. It's not as if the average kid has gotten any nicer. So what's the way kids pay forward hate now?

Leave a comment:

• FadeToBlack&Gold
    replied
    Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
    "Dork", "Geek", and "Nerd" have all gone through a 180* shift in context over the last 20 years within a majority of American society. They were all derogatory in the 80's but have become compliments and badges of honor.

We've also seen use of "Gay" and "********" fall out of use over that time. They were commonly used to describe something as being lame/dumb, but have fallen out due to the obvious negative context associated with them. (the *****'s are for the R-word that mean delayed/slow)

Hell, 8 years ago the word "yeet" didn't even exist, ha ha ha.

Language evolves over time.
    I still distinguish between "geek" and "nerd". A geek is someone who takes an especially strong interest in any topic or hobby, but still has social skills, particularly with the opposite sex. A nerd is someone who flat-out prefers computers and machines to the company of other people and struggles socially.

Leave a comment:

• busterman62
    replied
    Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
    It’s all about context. Favorite example: the same word can have different baggage attached to it, depending on the culture. Thanks to Bugs Bunny, “Nimrod” is used as an insult in the US. But why did Bugs Bunny repeatedly call Elmer Fudd Numrod? At the time, it was simply sarcastic: Nimrod is a name that comes from Genesis, where Nimrod is mentioned as a mighty hunter. Over time, though, after generations of school kids imitated art by calling each other Nimrod, the meaning morphed into a more generalized reference to a dumb or inept person. In the UK, no such transition occurred, so the term Nimrod has retained its original definition as a mighty hunter, to the point that their submarine-hunting aircraft was lovingly named the Nimrod.

When I worked with a bunch of BAE engineers on F-35 in Fort Worth, many of them had company swag (shirts, wallets, keychains, etc) proudly emblazoned with the word Nimrod, which amused us American engineers to no end.
    https://www.prepsportswear.com/schoo...choolid=206323

Leave a comment:

Working...
X