Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2017 Atlantic Hurricane Season: Non-Minnesotans arguing about the weather...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2017 Atlantic Hurricane Season: Non-Minnesotans arguing about the weather...

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    Link?
    Here's a YouTube vid depicting before & during, with a still comparison of before/after.

Comment

• Re: 2017 Atlantic Hurricane Season: Non-Minnesotans arguing about the weather...

This new track is freaking me out a little bit, if it's still a "major hurricane" where that "M" is planted the damage is nearly immeasurable.
      http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/graphics_at1.shtml?cone
      Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
      USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

On the heels of Harvey, which likely will eclipse Katrina for costliest US disaster... Irma may eclipse that.

Decided to hope for the best with my house and stay at work. 2011 build, so it's up to the latest code and my most exposed side is to the south. As long as the storm passes east of it, hopefully it will take the brunt of it.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
          The famous Maho Beach is no more.
          The bar is still there All the sand is now on the airport . Probably the least of their worries at this point. First place we went once on the island
          I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by BassAle View Post
            apparently there are 14 Mainers in St Maarten for a wedding (some are friends of my brother in law). They've been told it could be 4 weeks to get out. The hotel put them all in a room with concrete walls, one of which was still standing.
            Apparently, there are 6000 US citizens in St Maarten.

The airport and it's surroundings are going to be high on the rebuilding list- since France and the Netherlands can use that to air lift stuff in. But also, the port in Phillipsburg appears to be less damaged- other than containers that were pushed around a lot by water. So they should be able to use that port as well to bring in supplies once Jose passes. In theory, the port can be used by cruise ships to take people off the island, too. Given the cancellation of cruises, it's something they can do with empty ships.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
              The famous Maho Beach is no more.
              I thought that was a figure of speech. Whoa, no, it's literal truth.
              Cornell University
              National Champion 1967, 1970
              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by geezer View Post
                This new track is freaking me out a little bit, if it's still a "major hurricane" where that "M" is planted the damage is nearly immeasurable.
                http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/graphics_at1.shtml?cone
                That track could very well pulverize Homestead...again.

Comment

While everyone was staring at Irma, Jose went to Category 4. Bad news for the same group of islands that just got pounded by Irma, but it looks like Jose will curl northward after that.

On a side note, I graduated HS with Forecaster Zelinsky.

Comment

Well, my aunt in Crawfordville, FL isn't able to get out so they're going to ride it out. She doesn't move well and can't really afford the gas to drive out and find a place to stay. It's a lowlands area so I'm kind of worried. It's up just south of Tallahassee. I'm hoping this thing dies down by the time it gets there.

Code:
                    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                    Originally posted by SanTropez
                    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                    Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                    Originally posted by Kepler
                    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Back up to Cat 5..,

And we now have friends in Havana we have to worry about.

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                        Well, my aunt in Crawfordville, FL isn't able to get out so they're going to ride it out. She doesn't move well and can't really afford the gas to drive out and find a place to stay. It's a lowlands area so I'm kind of worried. It's up just south of Tallahassee. I'm hoping this thing dies down by the time it gets there.

I am sitting about 20 miles North of there in Tallahassee. Currently no on here is very worried as the track shows it dissipating to TS level by the time Irma gets this far North. If there is some drastic, drastic change, FSU and FAMU are both shut down and have tons of room to shelter, if for example a Cat 4 hits here. She looks to be in very good shape as TS is more just a don't go walking around outside in it type of deal. Also the weather here was beautiful today. I'd stay but our reservations are up in the morning and we have to head west toward Pensacola in the am.

Currently my house is within 25 miles of the forecast track in SWFL where Irma is expected to hit as a Cat 5. Not feeling too good about that at the moment. Expecting massive devastation in the area.
                        Originally posted by WiscTJK
                        I'm with Wisko and Tim.
                        Originally posted by Timothy A
                        Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

Thanks, that's good to know.

Keep us posted about your situation. If you need anything let us know.

Good luck man...
                          Code:
                          As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                          College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                          BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                          Originally posted by SanTropez
                          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                          Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                          I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                          Originally posted by Kepler
                          When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Hoping for the best for you and those around you, Wisko.

Fortunately, it should weaken to a Cat 2 (ish) before it gets to my neck of the woods. Hoping my place will be alright, but it's still stressful not being there and not knowing.

Comment

Looks like west coast of Florida is the track now. Also jose is going to crush leeward islands.
                              Stories about Mainers stuck on St Martin don't sound good. Will be worse after Jose blows thru

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
                              I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
                                Looks like west coast of Florida is the track now. Also jose is going to crush leeward islands.
                                Stories about Mainers stuck on St Martin don't sound good. Will be worse after Jose blows thru

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
                                Pretty soon, TWC is going to have to start talking about Jose. Puerto Rico news is- it should turn north Sunday morning, but still to hit the leeward islands. There's SO much heat in the water- it's going to at least stay a Cat4.

Cuba is getting hammered really hard, too. They had pretty short warnings- at least long enough to evacuate people from the Cays that the hurricane is over now. But they didn't get the warnings out like Florida has. If anything, we need to do a better job with info to them, and their recovery is going to be tougher than everyone else- given that their best partner right now is Venezuela.... We saw plenty of buildings just off the Malecon that will likely be totally wiped out with this.

Comment

Working...
                                X