Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2017 Atlantic Hurricane Season: Non-Minnesotans arguing about the weather...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2017 Atlantic Hurricane Season: Non-Minnesotans arguing about the weather...

Heavy rains are back, have been for last 4-5 hours according to my Captain.

Future radar doesn't show signs of letting up through the better part of the night atleast, too.

I'll be honest, it's been a pretty spot on job by the meteorologists on this. You hear 50+ inches of rain and wonder if it's a bit of hype/doom and gloom, but those numbers will be hit.

Comment

• Re: 2017 Atlantic Hurricane Season: Non-Minnesotans arguing about the weather...

Originally posted by hockeyplayer1015 View Post
      Heavy rains are back, have been for last 4-5 hours according to my Captain.

Future radar doesn't show signs of letting up through the better part of the night atleast, too.

I'll be honest, it's been a pretty spot on job by the meteorologists on this. You hear 50+ inches of rain and wonder if it's a bit of hype/doom and gloom, but those numbers will be hit.
      I agree that the meteorologists did a great job. tD will probably cut their funding more now.
      sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

I can't wrap my head around the amount of rain this storm has dumped...
        It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
          It is pretty hard to fathom.

Being from the northern part of the country, I always like to think of it in terms of snow. Since, on average, one inch or rain equals about 13 inches of snow, that storm would be about 650 inches of snow, or 50+ feet.

I assume somewhere my government has been planning to cover that eventuality.
          That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

There is a chemical plant in Crosby, TX (NE of Houston) that is experiencing heavy flooding. They have/are evacuating the area in anticipation of a possible anhydrous ammonia explosion within the next 8 hours. The plant has lost or reduced the capacity to keep it cool.

http://www.arkema-americas.com/en/social-responsibility/incident-news/

Comment

Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
              1 inch of liquid rain is about equivalent to 10 inches of uncompressed fallen snow.

Houghton gets 150-200 inches of snow or so a year. (The all time record is 355.9 inches in 1978-79.)

Looking at it that way, Houston has received the equivalent of two Tech winters' worth of water in 4 days.
              Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

Comment

Originally posted by hockeyplayer1015 View Post
                There is a chemical plant in Crosby, TX (NE of Houston) that is experiencing heavy flooding. They have/are evacuating the area in anticipation of a possible anhydrous ammonia explosion within the next 8 hours. The plant has lost or reduced the capacity to keep it cool.

http://www.arkema-americas.com/en/so...incident-news/
                That's bad, right?
                CCT '77 & '78
                4 kids
                5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                  That's bad, right?
                  This is why I laugh when people criticize NIMBY. NIMBY means your kids don't grow up with two heads.
                  Cornell University
                  National Champion 1967, 1970
                  ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                  Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                    This is why I laugh when people criticize NIMBY. NIMBY means your kids don't grow up with two heads.
                    NIMBY generally means we don't care where it goes just not near me. The nimbies (is that a word?) will still demand, buy the product.
                    I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                      That's bad, right?
                      It's basically the stuff that makes a fertilizer bomb (such as the one used by McVeigh and Nichols) go boom-boom.

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
                        NIMBY generally means we don't care where it goes just not near me.
                        Yes, that was what I was referring to.
                        Cornell University
                        National Champion 1967, 1970
                        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
                          Heard on the radio this morning from a respected meteorogolist that with the amount of water Houston already has and the amount that's yet to come, given the size of the city, it's enough water to fill every NFL and Division I football stadium, and still have water leftover. Wow. Don't know how true it is though, but that's massive.
                          Uncle Mickey: July 23, 1950-July 22, 2003

WRPI, 91.5 FM...usually color commentary.

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                            This is actually a case where NIMBY is appropriate. Zoning laws shouldn't allow plants that process large amounts of highly energetic material. This is basic city planning.

SOmething like a windmill? Kindly shut the **** up.
                            Code:
                            As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                            College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                            BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                            Originally posted by SanTropez
                            May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                            Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                            I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                            Originally posted by Kepler
                            When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                            He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

http://www.wsbradio.com/news/nationa...FGovfkhb0SkvL/

A man closer to God than Joel Osteen.
                              Code:
                              May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                              He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

bigblue_dl posted this on one my Facebook posts: https://***********/JJWatt

JJ Watt had pledged to match every dollar donated to his charity to help Houston. It's at $4.25 million right now and he's figuratively doubled down on his match commitment. His new goal is $5 million.
                                Code:

Comment

Working...
                                X