Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2017 Atlantic Hurricane Season: Non-Minnesotans arguing about the weather...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    Allison 2: Electric Boogaloo?
    Was BS'ing with my Capt this am wondering if it might also experience some Brown Ocean Effect, like Allison did.

Essentially it maintains or even strengthens over land, drawing moisture from the soil, believe it or not.

Erin in 07 or 08 also did this.

Comment

Re: 2017 Atlantic Hurricane Season: Non-Minnesotans arguing about the weather...

Originally posted by hockeyplayer1015 View Post
      Was BS'ing with my Capt this am wondering if it might also experience some Brown Ocean Effect, like Allison did.

Essentially it maintains or even strengthens over land, drawing moisture from the soil, believe it or not.

Erin in 07 or 08 also did this.
      How can that happen? Is it because heavy rains have already saturated the ground?
      Cornell University
      National Champion 1967, 1970
      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
        How can that happen? Is it because heavy rains have already saturated the ground?
        https://weather.com/storms/hurricane/news/brown-oceans-known-fuel-tropical-systems-over-land-20130718

Several examples of this happening.

Comment

Re: 2017 Atlantic Hurricane Season: Non-Minnesotans arguing about the weather...

Harvey is looking pretty nasty as-is. If the track holds, and there's any sort of deepening in the next 24-36 hours, he could wipe a pretty good chunk of Corpus Christi off the map.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/text/refresh...l/250234.shtml

Comment

Harvey gets no respect.
            Code:
            As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
            College Hockey 6       College Football 0
            BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
            Originally posted by SanTropez
            May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
            Originally posted by bigblue_dl
            I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
            Originally posted by Kepler
            When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
            He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
              Harvey is looking pretty nasty as-is. If the track holds, and there's any sort of deepening in the next 24-36 hours, he could wipe a pretty good chunk of Corpus Christi off the map.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/text/refresh...l/250234.shtml
              This afternoon was pretty incredible with the sudden change in outlook and strength.

I've got a gut feeling that this may have some similarities to Katrina before things are all over. The rainfall alone is going to be mind boggling, let alone the additional widespread surge.

My Capt and I feel we have a decent plan in place to ride this thing out. I've said since I started that I wanted to ride a storm out on the boat, well... I'm getting my wish.

Comment

Let the conference calls begin. Only taken out a few flights to HRL so far, and have been advised to keep alternates north, east, and not AUS.
                Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
                Originally posted by Quizmire
                mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
                MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
                MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
                I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

Headed for Cat 3.
                  Cornell University
                  ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                  Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Up to 110 MPH max sustained per the latest complete summary. Storm surge at high tide now forecast at 6-12 ft in the center of the expected landfall zone, and that won't include the rainfall.

Comment

Charlatan News Network is already politicizing it: https://www.infowars.com/cnns-acosta...icane-warning/

Comment

I dearly hope every Texan thinking "hurr, CNN is fake news" stays right where he is.
                        Last edited by Kepler; 08-25-2017, 12:52 PM.
                        Cornell University

Comment

Oh man I just about died listening to the morons in charge down there say, "well, I think people are smart enough to know when to leave. Besides, we don't really have the authority to require an evacuation."

First, people are NOT smart enough. And when they finally realize it, it's far too late, they panic, clog up the roads, and die.

Second, you can't physically remove someone, but you can issue a mandatory evacuation.
                          Code:
                          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                            Second, you can't physically remove someone, but you can issue a mandatory evacuation.
                            Has anyone ever been cited for "failure to evacuate"?
                            The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
                              Has anyone ever been cited for "failure to evacuate"?
                              Probably not. But if choose to not evacuate during a mandatory event, can't you be billed for any rescue services needed to bail your stupid *** out?

Also, the potential penalty is death. So there's that.
                              Code:

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                                But if choose to not evacuate during a mandatory event, can't you be billed for any rescue services needed to bail your stupid *** out?
                                I believe so; however, doesn't a mandatory evacuation notice include a statement that emergency services are shut down and no help is coming.
                                The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Working...
                                X