Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2017 Atlantic Hurricane Season: Non-Minnesotans arguing about the weather...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mookie1995
    replied
    Re: 2017 Atlantic Hurricane Season: Non-Minnesotans arguing about the weather...

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    Holy crap. I've stood on those rocks before.

http://eagleharborcam.com/
    looks as though one could still be standing on them!

Leave a comment:

• RaceBoarder
    replied
    Re: 2017 Atlantic Hurricane Season: Non-Minnesotans arguing about the weather...

I'm sorry, but the whole deal I MQT today was just Darwinism at work. I've stood at the exact spot where this went down and it was just flat out stupid to be put there in today's conditions. It's cold, but I have no sympathy.

Leave a comment:

• walrus
    replied

Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
    -- in the lake is definitely not a good place to be.
    At this point its called looking for bodies. Huge water is unforgiving

Leave a comment:

• Wisko McBadgerton
    replied

Originally posted by geezer View Post
    A buoy near Munising just recorded the highest wave ever recorded by a great lakes buoy (30 years of incomplete records). 28.8 feet and building.
    An attempted water rescue is underway in Marquette. Some Presque Isle tourists got washed in.
    I'm going out this afternoon to get some pics but have no intention of getting that close.
    I read this and thought what kind of insane person would be ON the lake today, so I checked, and found this. Theory is apparently they fell in from on shore. Seems unconfirmed yet but if the CG is out there in this weather it's obviously serious.

Water temp is what? Probably 50 degrees or so right now? That plus 30 ft. waves -- in the lake is definitely not a good place to be.

Leave a comment:

• geezer
    replied

A buoy near Munising just recorded the highest wave ever recorded by a great lakes buoy (30 years of incomplete records). 28.8 feet and building.
    An attempted water rescue is underway in Marquette. Some Presque Isle tourists got washed in.
    I'm going out this afternoon to get some pics but have no intention of getting that close.
    Last edited by geezer; 10-24-2017, 03:14 PM.

Leave a comment:

• MinnesotaNorthStar
    replied

Some not so light chop

Leave a comment:

• Wisko McBadgerton
    replied

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
    I take it then that that is unusual.
    I'm just surprised you haven't heard about it because the legend lives on from the Chippewa on down of the big lake they called 'gitche gumee'. The lake, it is said, never gives up her dead when the skies of November turn gloomy.

Leave a comment:

• geezer
    replied

On the great lakes, anything over 10 footers is unusual - maybe 2-3 times/year. Today's 20-25-footers (forecast) happen maybe once in 3 years. When combined with near-record-high water levels, there is a lot of lawn and campgrounds and whatnot right on the lake that will be destroyed.

Leave a comment:

• joecct
    replied
    Not as unusual as a hurricane in NYC.

I wonder how good is the surfing??

Leave a comment:

• Ralph Baer
    replied

Originally posted by hockeyplayer1015 View Post
    Great Lakes experiencing strong winds, leading to high "seas".

Leave a comment:

• hockeyplayer1015
    replied
    Could someone explain to an easterner what the recent posts are about?
    Great Lakes experiencing strong winds, leading to high "seas".

Leave a comment:

• Ralph Baer
    replied

Could someone explain to an easterner what the recent posts are about?

Leave a comment:

• dxmnkd316
    replied

Too soon

Leave a comment:

• Wisko McBadgerton
    replied

Fellas, it's been good t'know ya.

Leave a comment:

• dxmnkd316
    replied

Holy crap. I've stood on those rocks before.

http://eagleharborcam.com/

Leave a comment:

Working...
X