Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2017 Atlantic Hurricane Season: Non-Minnesotans arguing about the weather...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2017 Atlantic Hurricane Season: Non-Minnesotans arguing about the weather...

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
    Laddy. Don't you think you should rephrase that?
    I have a PDF of the Globe article on your last NCAA championship. Want a copy??
    CCT '77 & '78
    4 kids
    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

• JJ Watt's hurricane fund is up to $15 million.
      Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
      "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
      Patreon for exclusive writing content
      Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

• Re: 2017 Atlantic Hurricane Season: Non-Minnesotans arguing about the weather...

Wanted to share my sister-in-law's post, including a Houston Chronicle article.

"Our neighborhood has been in the same central Houston location since the 1950s and never had the kind of flooding we've seen since 2015. We bought our house, which had never flooded, until last week, in 2011. Many of our neighbors flooded in 2015 and then again in 2016. And again now. But West of us, there's been a lot of development. And Brays Bayou runs from them down to us. And so does all the rain.

We are close to the city and have a walkable neighborhood. We walk to the library and the grocery store all the time. But the development out west is suburban subdivisions. Sprawl. The kind of thing we're not supposed to actively encourage. And those developments are killing my neighborhood. There are lots of factors that cause these floods, but to pretend that this isn't one of the biggest ones would be wrong.

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/loca...er-7377091.php
        Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
        wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.

Arenas visited:
        7 B1G
        7 CCHA (all except St Thomas)
        6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU)
        5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont)
        5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson)
        2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT)
        2 Alaskan

Comment

Irma's track moved south again today. Here's four models putting Florida and possibly the Gulf back in play. (Euro has it staying just off the coast.)

Hurricane watches now issued in the Leeward's and the Bahamas are looking to be in the path of a Major storm. Need that high in the Atlantic to get East so Irma can hook back out to sea. Long ways out yet and lot's of changes will happen, but the tension is turned up a click.

Edit: Noticed the upper left model has pressure at 889... that would be the third lowest pressure ever in an Atlantic storm. Hurricanes below 900 all contained 180-190 mph winds.
          Last edited by Wisko McBadgerton; 09-03-2017, 04:25 PM.
          Originally posted by WiscTJK
          I'm with Wisko and Tim.
          Originally posted by Timothy A
          Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

5AM track has it heading for the Gulf by shooting the gap between Florida and Cuba. No swing North along Atlantic Coast.

I have relatives in the Keys. Guess their go bag is packed.
            CCT '77 & '78
            4 kids

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
              5AM track has it heading for the Gulf by shooting the gap between Florida and Cuba. No swing North along Atlantic Coast.

The Keys have been lucky for many many years. I was there a few years ago and we did a tour and the guy said over 100 years since any major damage?? Doesn't seem possible.
              If it gets into the gulf, wow
              I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

• Originally posted by walrus View Post
                The Keys have been lucky for many many years. I was there a few years ago and we did a tour and the guy said over 100 years since any major damage?? Doesn't seem possible.
                https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1919...Keys_hurricane

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1935..._Day_hurricane
                Last edited by joecct; 09-04-2017, 08:48 AM.
                CCT '77 & '78
                4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Yes.
                  Cornell University
                  National Champion 1967, 1970
                  ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                  Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                    Yes.
                    ok. the tbrw email work?

-----------
                    Irma keeps tracking southward. Now projected to graze Cuba.
                    CCT '77 & '78
                    4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

mookie didn't know they had pdf back then.....

a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

• Originally posted by joecct View Post

Euro has it then shooting the gap between Miami and Bahamas, then up to SC/NC. GFS isn't so kind, that prefers a more up the gut of Florida track.

Still a decent ways out on these model runs though, probably further than "reasonable accuracy".

Comment

ok. the tbrw email work?

-----------
                          Irma keeps tracking southward. Now projected to graze Cuba.
                          Yes. Thanks!
                          Cornell University
                          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
                            But what about the storm in "Key Largo"?

I agree -- seems amazing they have gone that long. There must be some geographic reason why they get missed. I assume there is some logic to hurricane paths and not total randomness.
                            Cornell University

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                              Yes. Thanks!
                              Check your email. I get depressed reading them.
                              CCT '77 & '78
                              4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
                                I think the key to this statement must be the definition of "major damage" and it must apply to Key West, which although it's been hit by hurricanes, they've been relatively benign. The rest of the keys have been hammered quite often, Donna, Betsy, Inez, Floyd, Andrew, Irene all caused big damage in the Keys.

As Irma stands at the moment, it's heading for my back yard and Florida residents are under the gun and starting to prepare. This is a tricky deal, because it all seems to hinge on When it will turn north. Early and it could still miss Florida, later and it could head over the lower keys and right up the middle of the state, later still and it could go past toward the gulf and then hook back to the FL west coast. Right now our tentative plan is to make the call Friday morning as to whether to flee north or not. Weird because if it heads North through the center of FL we could leave and not be able to get back for several more days even after the storm has passed.

Anguilla and BVI are looking to get run right over. If Irma stays south, PR, DR and Cuba, are all in big trouble. Things could get pretty bad down here in paradise.
                                Originally posted by WiscTJK
                                I'm with Wisko and Tim.
                                Originally posted by Timothy A
                                Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

Working...
                                X