X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Movies: New Ideas Welcome II Prequel Reboot

Icarus:

About the Russian doping scandal. I will just say watch it, with obvious slant taken into account. It's still amazing.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
      The slang just got to me, and for whatever reason, I have trouble understanding British accents of that nature. Also see: Lock, Stock, And Two Smoking Barrels.
      The book actually had a glossary. But I didn't have any problems from context.
      Cornell University
      National Champion 1967, 1970
      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
        The book actually had a glossary. But I didn't have any problems from context.
        The context was fine. It was a good premise for a movie. I thought it was over-rated, but good premise.
        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

The context was fine. It was a good premise for a movie. I thought it was over-rated, but good premise.
          He means understanding the lingo based upon the context in which the language was used, not the premise of the movie and context of popular culture at that time.
          "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
            He means understanding the lingo based upon the context in which the language was used, not the premise of the movie and context of popular culture at that time.
            Yes.
            Cornell University
            National Champion 1967, 1970
            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Gotcha.

Comment

Pure:

A 10 year old boy has to become the man of the house after his dad prematurely dies. He helps his sick mother with her medicine, until he realizes the "medicine" is heroin. He steps up and tries to help her end her addiction.

Very bleak drama. All the characters really get you into the movie, and make it real. It doesn't glamorize anything, but does have some gloss in certain moments. Worth watching. Heck, even Kiera Knightley does a half-decent job in it, and for me to type that...that's an accomplishment.

Comment

A Dog's Purpose

Great book. Very good movie. But, the Rotten Tomatoes average is rather low. Can somebody explain to me what the reviewers didn't like about this movie?

Or, Can Brent come here and tell me how stupid I am? That would work too.
                  Fighting Sioux Forever

Comment

Originally posted by MadTownSioux View Post
                    A Dog's Purpose

Great book. Very good movie. But, the Rotten Tomatoes average is rather low. Can somebody explain to me what the reviewers didn't like about this movie?

Never saw it, can't comment. But now you have me adding it to the list.

I don't pay attention to critic/fan rating sites. Everyone has so many different tastes...it's difficult to really nail down a good or bad movie, unless it's extremely good or bad.

Edit: it's 3.5/5 stars on Netflix, FTR.

Comment

Never saw it, can't comment. But now you have me adding it to the list.

I don't pay attention to critic/fan rating sites. Everyone has so many different tastes...it's difficult to really nail down a good or bad movie, unless it's extremely good or bad.

Edit: it's 3.5/5 stars on Netflix, FTR.
                      Did you read the book? Really good.
                      Fighting Sioux Forever

Comment

Did you read the book? Really good.
                        I did not. Outside of the "Girl With" trilogy, I haven't read a fiction book since I was a child. Can't get into them.

Comment

A Dog's Purpose

When the movie was released there were rumors swirling that the dog used for some specific stunt was harmed - beaten or drowned, I forget which. Dennis Quaid spent half of his promo time when I heard him talking about the moving trying to dispel the rumors, saying he'd have walked away from the movie had any harm come to any of the animals on set.
                          "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Yeah I believe that rumor started because some picture went viral or something. It was proven incorrect almost immediately but no one cared...
                            "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                            -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                            -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                            -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                              When the movie was released there were rumors swirling that the dog used for some specific stunt was harmed - beaten or drowned, I forget which. Dennis Quaid spent half of his promo time when I heard him talking about the moving trying to dispel the rumors, saying he'd have walked away from the movie had any harm come to any of the animals on set.
                              You get that change.org email about the dog spinning in Romania or Bulgaria or some chit

Mookie almost wanted to give to continue it for YouTube
                              a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Drone:

A man whose family was killed by a drone confronts the person who fired said drone.

90 minute~ movie, and the first 70 minutes are awesome. 0-10 in the first few minutes, then dials it WAYYYYYYYYY back for a slow burn. Unfortunately they made no effort for a finale. Cookie-cutter cliched BS. Add to that a subplot or two that went NOWHERE/didn't expand/had no real effect on the main plot....meh. If the payoff was better, could have been a really good movie. The faults outweigh the good of it.

Comment

Working...
                                X