X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Movies: New Ideas Welcome II Prequel Reboot

Nocturnal Animals:

Jake G and Amy Adams continue to impress me. Well-told story about a woman who receives a manuscript from her ex-husband. Real life and the novel come face-to-face. Then ending is obvious, and it kinda stunk because of its predictability. However, the story-telling was top notch until that point. Definitely recommend.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Vantage Point:

US Pres is assassinated at a summit of sorts in Spain. Told from about 5-6....wait for it.....vantage points. Friggin' intense. Brings you to the cusp of all that happened, then dials back and makes you watch it again from a different viewpoint. Very well done, loved it.
      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

Went to the movies 4 times in the last 2 weeks.
        1) Cult Classics -- Indiana Jones and The Last Crusade. Still holds up as an enjoyable movie. It was more of a buddy comedy than I remembered it being, but still enjoyable.
        2) The Big Sick -- Loved this. It was sad, funny, poignant, topical. I can't say enough good things about the writing and acting.
        3) Spiderman -- I wasn't looking forward to this from Marvel. I don't particularly like the character and I couldn't stand the Tobey Maguire iterations. I didn't even see the Andrew Garfield versions. This was pleasantly surprising. Not the best offering from Marvel, but certainly enjoyable.
        4) Atomic Blonde -- I wanted this to be better. It was fun and looked fantastic (visually akin to Blade Runner), but the fight scenes were drawn out and not particularly interesting. Charlize Theron was very entertaining. James McAvoy was...eh.

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
          Vantage Point:

US Pres is assassinated at a summit of sorts in Spain. Told from about 5-6....wait for it.....vantage points. Friggin' intense. Brings you to the cusp of all that happened, then dials back and makes you watch it again from a different viewpoint. Very well done, loved it.
          Nah that movie was pretentious crap. The first 2 vantage points were good...after that it got laughable. I remember watching it with friends and when the last one came up we all literally started laughing and yelled "seriously...another one?!?!". That movie went too far into the realm of "look how creative we can be!!!" and just got annoying.
          "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
          -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
          -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
          -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
            Nah that movie was pretentious crap. The first 2 vantage points were good...after that it got laughable. I remember watching it with friends and when the last one came up we all literally started laughing and yelled "seriously...another one?!?!". That movie went too far into the realm of "look how creative we can be!!!" and just got annoying.
            Vantage Point wasn't pretentious, it just wasn't well executed. It was "Rashoman as directed by Pierre Morel." It could have been an interesting movie if it more Hitchcockian and less car chases and smoldering Anthony Banderas pose acting.
            Cornell University
            National Champion 1967, 1970
            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Just got back from Dunkirk. It's a cromulent war drama, and I'm sure it's going to win a bunch of awards. Nolan tried to weave together the story of the evacuation effort from multiple points of view, which is always a challenge for any filmmaker, while still trying to maintain a cohesive narrative. It's difficult to get emotionally invested in any one particular character, which means there isn't a lot of character development. Which I suppose is the point when you're portraying a nation's effort to put a silver lining on what was otherwise one of the lowest points of the war for the Allies.

It's not too overboard with the 'Splosions and actually quite conservative with gore, but the body count is there when needed to convey tension and drama. The air-to-air dogfights are well-choreographed, the effects are pretty good, and overall the film is well-shot. The ending is predictable (no Chris, having one of the surviving troops read that speech aloud from the local paper does not make it any less of a lazy cliche).

Comment

Suntan:

A middle-aged doctor becomes obsessed with a woman half his age, and the feeling isn't really mutual.
                What started out as a sad portrayal of a lost man started to become a story of a pathetic creeper. I stopped it halfway through, figured it was going somewhere I didn't want to visit, looked up the ending on wiki, and I was correct. I'm glad I didn't watch the rest of it. Ew. Just, ew.

It's a Greek movie, btw, so lots of casual nudity (many scenes are at a nude beach); be warned on that.

Comment

Take Me:

With his simulated kidnapping business on a downturn, a man jumps at the opportunity for a weekend abduction. Then things go very wrong.

This is one effed up movie. Drama, dark comedy, a bit of suspense. Quite the rollercoaster. It was done well enough to raise questions throughout the movie, and keeps you guessing. Every time you think you have the answer, something comes up to make you question it. Definitely recommend.

Comment

• Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                    Suntan:

A middle-aged doctor becomes obsessed with a woman half his age, and the feeling isn't really mutual.
                    What started out as a sad portrayal of a lost man started to become a story of a pathetic creeper. I stopped it halfway through, figured it was going somewhere I didn't want to visit, looked up the ending on wiki, and I was correct. I'm glad I didn't watch the rest of it. Ew. Just, ew.

It's a Greek movie, btw, so lots of casual nudity (many scenes are at a nude beach); be warned on that.
                    I somehow finished it. Just terrible.

Comment

Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
                      I somehow finished it. Just terrible.
                      I just can't...ugh. So ugh. You are kinda feeling happy for the guy at first, he found a little light in his life, then "Ok, dude, stop. No, don't do....no, what are you doing?" I stopped the movie very soon after the kissing party part. Very soon. So glad I did.

Comment

Went to see war for the planet of the apes. Side benefit was the Arabic subtitles.
                        So now Mookie knows how to read and write "no" and "I am"
                        a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                          Went to see war for the planet of the apes. Side benefit was the Arabic subtitles.
                          This is such an awesome image.
                          Cornell University
                          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

"I think it knows."
                            Cornell University

Comment

Shin Godzilla:

Recommended to me by Armadillo (GPL regular, rarely posts on here), it was a solid take on the original Gojira. However, the first intro to the monster is laughable. The tail and eyes....you kidding me? Get past that....awesome movie.

Comment

Wonder Woman.

Perfectly cromulent movie elevated by excellent main character. It could have gone wrong a hundred ways and didn't. A-, with Gal Gadot an A+.

Oddly, Dr. Mrs. hated it, although she did like GG.
                                Last edited by Kepler; 08-05-2017, 10:01 PM.
                                Cornell University

Comment

Working...
                                X