This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Movies: New Ideas Welcome II Prequel Reboot

Slate is full of crap no one is having that argument outside of a few people in New York. (like the writer of the Village Voice) It is getting almost complete universal praise and there isnt much politics behind it except whether it is feminist enough. (those are the 12 liberals that are biotching) Plus the ban in Lebanon didnt happen the movie is being shown last I heard.
    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
    -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
    -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

The only beef I heard about was the women-only screenings, and how they were sexist.

That would be correct. Female only and no males? That would be sexist by definition. I can't imagine a "male-only" viewing going well.

Still pumped to see the movie.
      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
      Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

The "politics" of WW is completely manufactured/fabricated. It is a effing superhero movie.
        the state of hockey is good

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
          The only beef I heard about was the women-only screenings, and how they were sexist.

That would be correct. Female only and no males? That would be sexist by definition. I can't imagine a "male-only" viewing going well.

Still pumped to see the movie.
          Yeah it is about as sexist as "Ladies Night". It isnt like there wasnt other showings it was a publicity stunt to promote the fact that the movie is about a Woman Superhero directed by a woman and a bunch of limp dicked Texas d-bags just couldnt handle that. Then the Alamo Drafthouse (who set up the original) decided to troll them and make more of them just to twist the knife a bit.

Sorry but that is just a crock of crap. That is like people who ask why their isnt White History Month...well if you cant figure out why then you arent smart enough to ask the question in the first place. No one was being harmed by Alamo Drafthouse setting up a showing for women in a celebration of feminism. (and it was announced as such in advance so it wasnt like Cletus didnt know he would have to wait 2 hours to smack his wife around for being uppity)
          "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
          -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
          -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
          -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Originally posted by Handyman View Post
            Slate is full of crap no one is having that argument outside of a few people in New York. (like the writer of the Village Voice) It is getting almost complete universal praise and there isnt much politics behind it except whether it is feminist enough. (those are the 12 liberals that are biotching) Plus the ban in Lebanon didnt happen the movie is being shown last I heard.
            Slate is well known for ginning up controversy out of scant grist. And I'm an exaggerator. But it seems like it's a true story over there. Lebanon pulled the plug.
            Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
            USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

• Originally posted by geezer View Post
              Slate is well known for ginning up controversy out of scant grist. And I'm an exaggerator. But it seems like it's a true story over there. Lebanon pulled the plug.
              I wouldn't be surprised if they did. Egypt banned Marilyn Monroe movies when she converted to Judaism.
              the state of hockey is good

Comment

Originally posted by geezer View Post
                Well I dont much care what Lebanon thinks about anything let alone a superhero movie.
                -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                  Yeah it is about as sexist as "Ladies Night". It isnt like there wasnt other showings it was a publicity stunt to promote the fact that the movie is about a Woman Superhero directed by a woman and a bunch of limp dicked Texas d-bags just couldnt handle that. Then the Alamo Drafthouse (who set up the original) decided to troll them and make more of them just to twist the knife a bit.

Sorry but that is just a crock of crap. That is like people who ask why their isnt White History Month...well if you cant figure out why then you arent smart enough to ask the question in the first place. No one was being harmed by Alamo Drafthouse setting up a showing for women in a celebration of feminism. (and it was announced as such in advance so it wasnt like Cletus didnt know he would have to wait 2 hours to smack his wife around for being uppity)
                  The underlined is sexist. You forgot one thing: I don't really give a sh*.
                  Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

Originally posted by state of hockey View Post
                    The "politics" of WW is completely manufactured/fabricated. It is a effing superhero movie.
                    Let's not start putting things into context now. That'd be insane.
                    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Wonder Woman is fantastic. It fell short on the same thing Marvel films fall short on though, the villain. There is one simple change to the movie I would make and it would have fixed most of this problem. Won't say what it is cause it might spoil it.

Give DC some credit here. They did a period Superhero film better than Marvel did (Captain America), and they did a Superhero film where the character itself is a god better than Marvel did (Thor).

This is the best DC film since Dark Knight (I would put it slightly behind it) but only because of Ledger. If we center on the hero itself this is the best DC Film since Superman II.

DC has also beaten Marvel to the punch on a Female centered Superhero movie. I'm surprised by that. This should up the stakes for Marvel when they release Captain Marvel in 2019.
                      **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                      Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

I don't know how many of you have access to HBO movies, but I watched Mommie Dead and Dearest last night, and it was fantastic. An HBO documentary. It was more engrossing than Making a Murderer, I thought.

I won't ruin the plot, but basically the movie opens with a middle-aged woman having been brutally slain, by knife, in Springfield, MO. She has a daughter who appears to be both physically and mentally disabled, of middle teenage years, who is wheelchair bound and who is being harshly interrogated by some Wisconsin cops about the murder, and you're thinking "here we go again" with Wisconsin law enforcement and interrogating mentally incapacitated children. Then they show you this chilling text about the murder by the girl, AND THAT'S THE NORMAL PART OF THE MOVIE.

Down the rabbit hole you go.

Definitely watch it if you have an interest in well made true crime documentaries.
                        That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                          Wonder Woman is fantastic. It fell short on the same thing Marvel films fall short on though, the villain. There is one simple change to the movie I would make and it would have fixed most of this problem. Won't say what it is cause it might spoil it.

Give DC some credit here. They did a period Superhero film better than Marvel did (Captain America), and they did a Superhero film where the character itself is a god better than Marvel did (Thor).

This is the best DC film since Dark Knight (I would put it slightly behind it) but only because of Ledger. If we center on the hero itself this is the best DC Film since Superman II.

DC has also beaten Marvel to the punch on a Female centered Superhero movie. I'm surprised by that. This should up the stakes for Marvel when they release Captain Marvel in 2019.
                          I knew you would like it! My opinion mirrors your almost exactly though I liked the villain more than I usually do.

I had the same feeling watching this film as I did as a kid watching Superman or Batman '89. I never get that feeling anymore from these movies. I told my gf after the movie if I had seen this when I was 8 Wonder Woman would be my favorite hero ever not Superman. It is just that well done
                          -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                            I don't know how many of you have access to HBO movies, but I watched Mommie Dead and Dearest last night, and it was fantastic. An HBO documentary. It was more engrossing than Making a Murderer, I thought.

I won't ruin the plot, but basically the movie opens with a middle-aged woman having been brutally slain, by knife, in Springfield, MO. She has a daughter who appears to be both physically and mentally disabled, of middle teenage years, who is wheelchair bound and who is being harshly interrogated by some Wisconsin cops about the murder, and you're thinking "here we go again" with Wisconsin law enforcement and interrogating mentally incapacitated children. Then they show you this chilling text about the murder by the girl, AND THAT'S THE NORMAL PART OF THE MOVIE.

Down the rabbit hole you go.

Definitely watch it if you have an interest in well made true crime documentaries.
                            Sounds awesome Thanks for the heads up
                            -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Both Wonder Woman and that doc sound excellent. Thanks for the reviews, looking forward to both. While I love me a good documentary, I'm kind of surprised that I really want to see Wonder Woman.

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                                I knew you would like it! My opinion mirrors your almost exactly though I liked the villain more than I usually do.

I had the same feeling watching this film as I did as a kid watching Superman or Batman '89. I never get that feeling anymore from these movies. I told my gf after the movie if I had seen this when I was 8 Wonder Woman would be my favorite hero ever not Superman. It is just that well done
                                The first scene where you see her in her full costume (well done, glad they ultimately changed it to match the comic book in color scheme) and she goes to battle might be my favorite superhero movie scene ever. It rivals the puny god scene from Avengers.
                                **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                                Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Working...
                                X