X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jimjamesak
    replied
    Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
    The movie was lampooning propaganda movies from back in the day, hyper violent to drive home the cost of a nation/govt/people obsessed with warring ways, and they did it with bad acting all the to the end. Then it spoofed action movies from the 80s. If you weren't ready for some actually smart spoofing, the whole thing was going to fall flat.
    It's a full on left-wing spoof of right-wing politics with a title from a right-wing beat off material book.

That said, it's *ing hilarious. "Medic!"

Leave a comment:

• St. Clown
    replied
    Re: Movies: New Ideas Welcome II Prequel Reboot

Originally posted by joecct View Post
    Read the book? The only thing the movie had in common with the book was the title.
    The movie was lampooning propaganda movies from back in the day, hyper violent to drive home the cost of a nation/govt/people obsessed with warring ways, and they did it with bad acting all the to the end. Then it spoofed action movies from the 80s. If you weren't ready for some actually smart spoofing, the whole thing was going to fall flat.

Leave a comment:

• state of hockey
    replied

Starship Troopers is incredible. I'm so happy to find others that agree. Most of my peers give me a stink eye. So good.

Leave a comment:

• joecct
    replied
    Originally posted by Kepler View Post
    Hadn't seen Starship Troopers in a long time. It's so awesome; I can't believe how they suckered the studios, the money, and everybody else. How could they have seen the rushes and not realized what it was until it was too late?

It's also the best parody of big budget movies in the 80s ever made, and possibly the most biting satire of The Empire ever made.

Lots grosser now of course that we're a hundred times worse.
    Read the book? The only thing the movie had in common with the book was the title.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Love Starship Troopers!

Caught the start of Dazed and Confused and got sucked in. Haven't seen it since it came out and don't remember liking it all that much.

LOVED it tonight.

And it's really about nothing.

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied

Hadn't seen Starship Troopers in a long time. It's so awesome; I can't believe how they suckered the studios, the money, and everybody else. How could they have seen the rushes and not realized what it was until it was too late?

It's also the best parody of big budget movies in the 80s ever made, and possibly the most biting satire of The Empire ever made.

Lots grosser now of course that we're a hundred times worse.

Leave a comment:

• Handyman
    replied

War For The Planet of the Apes was awesome...that is all

Leave a comment:

• rufus
    replied

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
    walked past a restaurant here named "cereal killer cafe". guessed it was breakfast... didn't go look. (a-scared to)
    One of my favorite albums.

http://www.allmusic.com/album/cereal...s-mw0000674508

Leave a comment:

• mookie1995
    replied

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
    Taking Lives:

Angie Jolie plays an FBI profiler who helps out Canadian cops try to find a serial killer; only has one witness. To believe him or not? It was ok. A couple red herrings tossed into some twists and turns, but the ending was rather predictable. Worth it if you have some time to kill.
    walked past a restaurant here named "cereal killer cafe". guessed it was breakfast... didn't go look. (a-scared to)

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied

Originally posted by joecct View Post
    Going to watch the sequel?
    Yes. I am very cautiously optimistic.

Leave a comment:

• joecct
    replied
    Originally posted by Kepler View Post
    I would have sworn I knew Blade Runner by heart, but the soundtrack includes the song "One More Kiss, Dear" and I have no idea where it is used. Cutting room floor, half second reference, or whazzit?
    Going to watch the sequel?

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied

I would have sworn I knew Blade Runner by heart, but the soundtrack includes the song "One More Kiss, Dear" and I have no idea where it is used. Cutting room floor, half second reference, or whazzit?

Leave a comment:

• The Rube
    replied

Taking Lives:

Angie Jolie plays an FBI profiler who helps out Canadian cops try to find a serial killer; only has one witness. To believe him or not? It was ok. A couple red herrings tossed into some twists and turns, but the ending was rather predictable. Worth it if you have some time to kill.

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
    Many bombings, Columbine, other shootings.....the book was found in the suspects' dwellings, due to the information in it. It has been put on the internet in various forms over the years, etc. Who really knows if the techniques would have been found out by the suspects if the original book never existed? (personally, I think the info would have been found out eventually, with some work, but I digress).

For the sake of argument, what if the book was never written (or banned from publication)? Could those suspects have done what they did in that "efficient" of a fashion? WOULD they have done what they did, if they had to actually dig deep to find that information on bombs/evasive techniques/altering weapons/etc? It's some of the things covered in the interview.
    Very interesting. OK.

Leave a comment:

• The Rube
    replied

Smoke And Mirrors:

Ex-Spanish CIA equivalent gets burned by the organization, so he decides to con them out of money. Fiction intertwined with a true story about an official who DID embezzle a ton of money. Decent con-man story with many levels of deception.

I.T.

Disgruntled fired IT worker decides to make his former boss' "smart-house" work against him, amongst other things. Basic "new friend/employee is really a creepy maniac" story. Meh. Was fun until the end, then the end is all the cliches.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X