X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Movies: New Ideas Welcome II Prequel Reboot

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    Techies (the general kind, not necessarily the MTU kind) still use command prompts, although it is slowly becoming obsolete as applications continue to move to "the cloud".
    The cloud honestly scares me. With hacking the way it is.....you really wanna trust that format? Peons like me probably have no worries, but the bigger folks? I'd be wary, don't care about encryption guarantees.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

No discussion of the supposed Top Gun sequel?

the state of hockey is good

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
        This. It's not just using 10%, it's knowing how to actually do things. I know I'm just an advanced user. I used to b the server and domain admin at my old company. I had to deploy entire servers and distributed applications there during the Great Recession just to keep getting a paycheck.

At my current job, I'm the first line for most of my department. Which is pathetic because I don't consider myself anything more than an advanced user. The vast, vast majority of people don't even und Ratana's a simple set of IPCONFIG commands, which is the difference between them, "I can't connect to the internet" and me, "sigh"
        That's why I asked about your computer requirements for your job. Yes, YOU need to know this stuff, that is completely understandable. That's all.
        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
          I wholly agree with that. And that actually adds to my point. If I'm just a user (and I am), why would I need to learn DOS?
          Because it's a useful tool. And if you don't understand that, you can't even begin to claim you know computers.
          Code:
          As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
          College Hockey 6       College Football 0
          BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
          Originally posted by SanTropez
          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
          Originally posted by bigblue_dl
          I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
          Originally posted by Kepler
          When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

That's why I asked about your computer requirements for your job. Yes, YOU need to know this stuff, that is completely understandable. That's all.
            No. I don't need to understand it. I just do.

99% of people in Engineering don't know the difference between a subnet and a domain. They never will. I do because it was useful information.
            Code:
            As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
            College Hockey 6       College Football 0
            BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
            Originally posted by SanTropez
            May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
            Originally posted by bigblue_dl
            I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
            Originally posted by Kepler
            When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
            He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Um, also know how to use computers, but unless I was working specifically with DOS/related, why would I need to learn DOS? All the programs I use are basically point and click. No commands necessary, in the DOS-type format.
              You don't *need* to learn DOS, but everything that Windows shows you is still built upon the archaic language accessible through DOS. Some Windows files get corrupted and prevent you from starting up? You can boot into DOS to access the file system and attempt to fix it.

Even your Android Smart Phone is a fancy visual wrapper for a branch of Linux, of which Linux is just a graphical representation of one form of the UNIX file system. Rebooting the phone after an update sometimes leads to seeing the command line prompts once instead of a fancy splash screen on the phone.

Apple iOS is also built upon a flavor of UNIX, but Apple has done a lot to prevent iOS from showing the command line interface.

Also, certain programs utilize a command line system for their work. Computer Aided Design software (AutoCAD, Microstation) still provide the command line and are built upon the command line, offering the user interface as a secondary way to work. Good CAD technicians, similar to IT technicians, are much faster at typing out a set of commands instead of mousing to the command they need, mouse to where on the screen they need to go, mouse to complete the command, etc.

IIRC, manufacturing is also another area where machines are set up for command prompt interfaces over the GUI because it's faster for employees to enter what they need to do, again versus mousing to everything.
              “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Because it's a useful tool. And if you don't understand that, you can't even begin to claim you know computers.
                Do I know computers like the Silicon Valley people? No. I will never even imagine to pretend that I do. But your OP (that's "original post") claims that I can't use a computer, and that is patently false. So step down from your high horse.

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
                  Even your Android Smart Phone
                  My what? (had to, sorry)

Comment

My what? (had to, sorry)

Even your dumb flip phone* is built upon lines of code executed under a fancy graphical interface.

* If you're still using a bag phone with a 10' car antenna magnetic mounted to your Camaro, the dot matrix display is built upon an assembly language that, yes, even that has a command line. For devices where the code is "baked" into the hardware like a flip phone or older equipment, you'll have to work in a command prompt from your computer to modify the code and then "assemble" it to put it back onto the old equipment.

*edit* I'm pretty sure I just heard F2B&G's and St. Cloud's brains just melt as I over-simplified these descriptions.
                    Last edited by aparch; 05-26-2017, 12:09 AM.

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

99% of people in Engineering don't know the difference between a subnet and a domain.
                      There are people in IT who don't.

Even your Android Smart Phone is a fancy visual wrapper for a branch of Linux, of which Linux is just a graphical representation of one form of the UNIX file system. Rebooting the phone after an update sometimes leads to seeing the command line prompts once instead of a fancy splash screen on the phone.

Apple iOS is also built upon a flavor of UNIX, but Apple has done a lot to prevent iOS from showing the command line interface.
                      OMG, the NMU guy knows.

We're fcked.

Comment

Even your dumb flip phone* is built upon lines of code executed under a fancy graphical interface.

* If you're still using a bag phone with a 10' car antenna magnetic mounted to your Camaro, the dot matrix display is built upon an archaic assembly language that, yes, even that has a command line. For devices where the code is "baked" into the hardware like a flip phone or older equipment, you'll have to work in a command prompt from your computer to modify the code and then "assemble" it to put it back onto the old equipment.
                        Everything is built on command lines and codes. I know this. The issue is, I didn't need to know it then, due to the work I ended up doing, and due to the recreation I partake in now, in relation to computers. For others, yes, completely different story and that's fine and dandy.

Comment

OMG, the NMU guy knows.

We're fcked.

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

There are people in IT who don't.

OMG, the NMU guy knows.

We're fcked.
                            *slowlybacksaway*

Comment

Originally posted by French Rage View Post
                              IBM's problem was that they let Microsoft license DOS to everyone instead of getting it exclusively. Over time it was easy for others to combine an Intel chip and DOS and do the packaging themselves, so IBM didn't have much of a moat that made them special.
                              Most of the time, IBM would have just bought out the nascent Microsoft and made it another division. However, at the time they were negotiating with Bill Gates, they were under anti-trust investigation, and were constrained from following their usual practice as a result.
                              "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
                                Most of the time, IBM would have just bought out the nascent Microsoft and made it another division. However, at the time they were negotiating with Bill Gates, they were under anti-trust investigation, and were constrained from following their usual practice as a result.
                                I never knew this.

To be honest I always wondered why when it became apparent he was eating their lunch they didn't just roll over and crush him with a lazy gesture. For all the imperial worship Gates is not that bright -- like Zuckerberg he is a talented opportunist; a businessman, a fungible, not a technical innovator or creator of anything. IBM or DEC could have lured away the actual brains at Redmond with pocket lint. They wouldn't even have needed to buy Gates out -- the only value Gates controlled was his gussied up DOS, and the SMEs at the big companies could have designed a more powerful OS from cold iron overnight. They were stodgy, but they were brilliant too. And if they ran dry they had an endless conveyor belt of MIT TMRC nerds to tap.

Hell, at the very worst invite Gates to run a new programming division, stick him behind a desk next to Ross Perot to haggle over crooked USG contracts, and let the real geniuses on the floor loose.
                                Last edited by Kepler; 05-26-2017, 08:51 AM.
                                Cornell University
                                National Champion 1967, 1970
                                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Working...
                                X