• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mookie1995
    replied
    Re: Movies: New Ideas Welcome II Prequel Reboot

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
    This list
    1. "Greatest" lists should not include anything released in the last 20 years. Half the movies since 1997 on that list will drop off it by that rule.

dude. lost in translation was definitely made after 1997!!!

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied

Originally posted by French Rage View Post
    That's an odd way of spelling "Blade Runner".
    Please. Blade Runner is a 9. Usual Suspects is a workaday 7. Reservoir Dogs is a 6 and the least interesting of all Q's films except the opening which is terrific.

All ratings are within genre (i.e., you can't judge a RomCom and a Horror by the same standards -- apples and oranges).

Most overrated film of all time is The Searchers. It's strictly up there as a message film. As a movie it's not in the top 100 Westerns -- probably not even in the top 250. Except, of course, the cinematography, which is amazing.

Another sub-5 often mistaken for a 10: the Kurosawa Seven Samurai, which is watching paint dry. The Magnifect Seven is a far, far better movie than the original. The film that does deserve the praise is Yojimbo, a genuine 10.

I guarantee Handy's "most overrated" film is Citizen Kane. It's exactly the sort of performative anti-elitist nonsense he's peddled elsewhere. I mean that with respect, of course.
    Last edited by Kepler; 08-23-2017, 12:53 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Handyman
    replied

Originally posted by French Rage View Post
    LOL so true. Though that isnt my most overrated film...I wont name it because every film nerd and fanboy will flame me to the point that the board will crash (and no it isnt Reservoir Dogs though that makes my Top 10 most overrated)

Leave a comment:

• French Rage
    replied

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
    I didn't look at the list but is the most overrated film of all time (Usual Suspects) on it?

Leave a comment:

• Slap Shot
    replied

Kep ripped off The Departed. It should be an easy 4, maybe even a 5.

I didn't look at the list but is the most overrated film of all time (Usual Suspects) on it?

Leave a comment:

• Handyman
    replied

You know just because you have an opinion and think highly of it doesnt mean you are right

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
    It is if they're both 10's.
    No, it's still not a rip, it's a difference of opinion.

The Departed is a 1. That's a rip.

Leave a comment:

• ScoobyDoo
    replied

FFS. It's not a "rip" to say a 7 is not a 10.
    It is if they're both 10's.

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
    Leave it to you to rip two of the greatest films ever made. They both belong on the list. Whatever list it is. And Dumb and Dumber belongs on the list so that's the major flaw.
    FFS. It's not a "rip" to say a 7 is not a 10.

Leave a comment:

• ScoobyDoo
    replied

This list reinforces two things for me.

1. "Greatest" lists should not include anything released in the last 20 years. Half the movies since 1997 on that list will drop off it by that rule.

2. Some Like it Hot still fools critics on pure inter-generational momentum. It's a good comedy, sure, a perfectly cromulent comedy. But for f-ck's sake it doesn't even belong in the top 50, and I LOVE Billy Wilder.

Annie Hall is also grossly overrated because it's a movie essentially made for film critics. It's good and my god that ending but again, not even top 50.
    Leave it to you to rip two of the greatest films ever made. They both belong on the list. Whatever list it is. And Dumb and Dumber belongs on the list so that's the major flaw.

Leave a comment:

• burd
    replied

2. Some Like it Hot still fools critics on pure inter-generational momentum. It's a good comedy, sure, a perfectly cromulent comedy. But for f-ck's sake it doesn't even belong in the top 50, and I LOVE Billy Wilder.

Annie Hall is also grossly overrated because it's a movie essentially made for film critics. It's good and my god that ending but again, not even top 50.
    I'd put City Lights ahead of The Great Dictator and close to Modern Times.

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied

Last edited by Kepler; 08-23-2017, 09:24 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
    I liked Cruise in Collateral (was that it? With Jamie Foxx as the cab driver).
    Cruise was good in Edge Of Tomorrow but probably only because it was such a great story.

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
    A frustrated novelist finds new zest in life with the help of his imaginary superhero friend and a local teenage girl (no, not in THAT way).
    Gotta admit though, it does give one a zest for life.

Leave a comment:

• The Rube
    replied

Oblivion was... bad.

I do not understand the appeal of the short-legged Scientologist, but this was bad even for him.

Also: don't have a three actor set piece when all three of your actors can't act.
    I liked Cruise in Collateral (was that it? With Jamie Foxx as the cab driver).

Paper Man:

A frustrated novelist finds new zest in life with the help of his imaginary superhero friend and a local teenage girl (no, not in THAT way).

It's about an hour and a half of awkwardness with a decent final 20 minutes. Overall, I liked the movie, I thought it was well done. The cast definitely helped: Lisa Kudrow, Jeff Daniels, Emma Stone, Ryan Reynolds.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X