Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Show Yourselves, Part 4: Sucking up bandwidth with poor pictures of weird tattoos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Show Yourselves, Part 4: Sucking up bandwidth with poor pictures of weird tattoos

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
    Are you sure that something else isn't set wrong? Maybe they are being overexposed due to exposure settings. If not...

70-300? Can I assume you're taking photos from a distance?

For shooting sports outside, where sun can change quickly or exposure can change depending on which direction you're looking, I'd suggest using the AV setting. This bases the shutter speed on the f-stop setting that you choose. For sports, most people like a shallow depth of field, so set it as low as it will go. Some 70-300s will be able to go to 2.8, many others are in the 4.5 range.

Setting it low will have your subject in focus and the background blurry. Once set in AV, the camera will automatically choose the shutter speed that it believes will expose your shot correctly, based on how it's reading the lighting.

The other consideration will be shutter speed as a running (moving) subject will require a faster speed. If they're bigger/older kids, it's likely that 1/320 will be the minimum speed that you can get away with. The camera will take care of this for you, but if it's an overcast day, the camera may have to choose a shutter speed around, say 1/100, which will most likely give you blurry subjects.

If you're seeing slow shutter speeds due to lower lighting, bump up the iso setting to 200, 400 or 800 until you see the speeds in the range where you need them.

Hope this helps. I've shot thousands and thousands (and THOUSANDS) of lacrosse, baseball & hockey photos.

I love talking camera geek stuff.
    Thanks. This is the 4th yr of shooting (somewhere around 80K but probably more) of images and have never had this issue. It is happening with both stills and running shots, cloudy or regular weather. I rarely take on a shorter lens. I have never had this problem and have used the settings I have pretty much the whole time. It also seems to be struggling to capture the subject on auto focus.

I probably need to get my camera and lens serviced but it goes away for a month if I do that and I can't spare it that long. What I am really pondering is do I look into replacing something or not. The lens is old- I think 5 yrs. The camera is maybe 2. The lesn has been out for service last yr. I think it doesn't owe me anything but it is so expensive

Comment

• Re: Show Yourselves, Part 4: Sucking up bandwidth with poor pictures of weird tattoos

Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
      Thanks. This is the 4th yr of shooting (somewhere around 80K but probably more) of images and have never had this issue. It is happening with both stills and running shots, cloudy or regular weather. I rarely take on a shorter lens. I have never had this problem and have used the settings I have pretty much the whole time. It also seems to be struggling to capture the subject on auto focus.

I probably need to get my camera and lens serviced but it goes away for a month if I do that and I can't spare it that long. What I am really pondering is do I look into replacing something or not. The lens is old- I think 5 yrs. The camera is maybe 2. The lesn has been out for service last yr. I think it doesn't owe me anything but it is so expensive

Could be the camera body as they're typically good for 50-60k photos - that's what most will say is their expected life.

Do you have a way to email me one of the photos? I could look at the meta data and see if anything jumps out.

Comment

Could be the camera body as they're typically good for 50-60k photos - that's what most will say is their expected life.

Do you have a way to email me one of the photos? I could look at the meta data and see if anything jumps out.
        Thanks for the offer.
        Just spoke to the 2 local camera places and they both said lens with me saying nothing more than the symptoms. Just talked Best Buy into giving me a lens for 100 less than list. Will see. If it is still screwed up I have another body and can send this one out to the hospital.

I am bringing in my laptop for some other stuff and will show the camera folks the images just to be sure.

Comment

New lens helped with the focus but everything was still bleached out then started to look like I was filtering colors. Realized it is probably my SD card which has had >50K of pics go on and off it. Found out it should last for only a few thousand. Well. I never knew that.

Comment

Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
            New lens helped with the focus but everything was still bleached out then started to look like I was filtering colors. Realized it is probably my SD card which has had >50K of pics go on and off it. Found out it should last for only a few thousand. Well. I never knew that.

I don't know. I've never had an SD card go bad and have shot thousands and thousands of photos.

It's easy (and relatively inexpensive) to check though.

Offer stands on sending me a photo though if it's not the card...

Comment

I don't know. I've never had an SD card go bad and have shot thousands and thousands of photos.

It's easy (and relatively inexpensive) to check though.

Offer stands on sending me a photo though if it's not the card...
              Thanks

Comment

With Olympic marathoner Shalane Flanagan.

S3012792
                Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                Patreon for exclusive writing content
                Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

• Originally posted by ShirtlessBob View Post
                  With Olympic marathoner Shalane Flanagan.

S3012792
                  Wow......

Comment

Working...
                  X