This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
    This is something I've been wondering for awhile. Why am I supposed to try and understand their views when they refuse to consider things like science?
    For this in particular, understand that it's an act performed for the sake of negotiation. I had a frank talk with a climate change denier in November who said basically, of course everyone knows climate change is happening, but if we all publicly agreed on that we'd have to then surrender our way of life to anti-combustion extremists like Albert Gore Jr. There's no moral middle ground between what we've got now and sacrificing everything to central planning, so denial is easier.
    I expect all this to change very rapidly once renewables come along far enough to make sense to a capitalist. There is important work for both activists and investors in the meantime to lay the groundwork.
    Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
    USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

• Originally posted by geezer View Post
      I don't think it's like that. It's that the loudest and most crass voices on the other side are the ones you hear and react to as being representative, whether you were an R thinking all dems talk pure hatred like Rover or a D thinking all R's are bigoted screamers. Most people are fairly decent and considerate once you stop to talk AND listen.
      I guess i disagree to the extent that hate radio (Limbaugh, beck, et al) is nearly universally right wing in nature, and the left's attempt to do the same failed miserably. Though the old adage of supporters listening for 15 minutes and opponents listening for 30 could very well apply.

On the flip side, probably the same sort of phenomenon leads to comedy shows being liberal and their right wing equivalents to fail.

Comment

• Originally posted by unofan View Post
        I guess i disagree to the extent that hate radio (Limbaugh, beck, et al) is nearly universally right wing in nature, and the left's attempt to do the same failed miserably. Though the old adage of supporters listening for 15 minutes and opponents listening for 30 could very well apply.

On the flip side, probably the same sort of phenomenon leads to comedy shows being liberal and their right wing equivalents to fail.
        Good point; for some reason conservatives like (faux) red meat outrage and liberals are far better with sarcasm/parody. You'd think the latter would be more cutting and effective but it might do more self-harm in the long run - there's a real hatred of outspoken liberal celebrities with sharp tongues, nearly on par with the liberal rejection of Limbaugh. We should be tuning out all the ratings-chasers
        Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
        USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

• Re: POTUS Elect Trump II: We Are So Totally F%*#ed

http://theslot.jezebel.com/donald-tr...res-1791232446

Then there's this. I keep hoping we aren't seeing an orange hitler coming to power. "Just give him s chance" they said.
          Code:
          As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
          College Hockey 6       College Football 0
          BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
          Originally posted by SanTropez
          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
          Originally posted by bigblue_dl
          I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
          Originally posted by Kepler
          When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by geezer View Post
            For this in particular, understand that it's an act performed for the sake of negotiation. I had a frank talk with a climate change denier in November who said basically, of course everyone knows climate change is happening, but if we all publicly agreed on that we'd have to then surrender our way of life to anti-combustion extremists like Albert Gore Jr. There's no moral middle ground between what we've got now and sacrificing everything to central planning, so denial is easier.
            I expect all this to change very rapidly once renewables come along far enough to make sense to a capitalist. There is important work for both activists and investors in the meantime to lay the groundwork.
            Exactly.
            "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
            -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
            -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
            -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
              http://theslot.jezebel.com/donald-tr...res-1791232446

Then there's this. I keep hoping we aren't seeing an orange hitler coming to power. "Just give him s chance" they said.
              Well he already had his goons threatened to revoke the reporter from CNN's credentials cause he dared ask a Question of Hair Fuhrer...
              "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
              -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
              -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
              -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post

Oh, h@ll no. That is hawt.
                What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Originally posted by geezer View Post
                  when someone makes a game changing fuel cell, we are all off oil.

giddy up.
                  a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
                    This is something I've been wondering for awhile. Why am I supposed to try and understand their views when they refuse to consider things like science?
                    seriously. whyn't we all on nuclear power?!!?

Comment

Originally posted by WeAreNDHockey View Post

The party needs to realize who it needs to speak to, and who that is for the most part should be America's working class. Had the party focused nearly solely on an economic message my guess is Clinton would have won, and probably won handily. No, not the phony economic message Trump tried to put forth (bringing back coal and steel jobs, preventing anyone from moving jobs to Mexico, Viet Nam or some other ultra low wage nation) but one of reality and appeal to all of us who work for a living.
                      I agree with this. If Hillary had spent the last month of the campaign hammering this point home, she would have been elected easily. Instead, all we heard from her was "Oh that Donald Trump, listen to all the nasty things he says about women, and Muslims, listen to how he yells". It was in her policy positions, on her website, but who goes looking for a website? Get out there and let people know what you're going to do for them.

Thing is, people liked the fact that Trump was yelling against the establishment, they liked that he wasn't politically correct.

Comment

sssssh.

rover himself said that the clintons knew what they were doing. they didn't do sissy stuff like dems in the past.

Comment

Originally posted by rufus View Post

Thing is, people liked the fact that Trump was yelling against the establishment, they liked that he wasn't politically correct.
                          Truth. He said whatever he wanted to say, and he did it with no shame. Of course, it was all a ruse, but people WANT someone who will say what is on their mind, and be honest. This is a thorny statement, because as I mentioned, it was all bull coming out of Trump's mouth...the general idea is there, though. Imagine a candidate who can do what Trump did, and actually mean it, AND it would benefit the country? Sign me up.

Basically: screw the establishment, make a better world for everyone (especially the working class), and not kowtow to lobbies/donors. Who the heck WOULDN'T like that?
                          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                          Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post

When the trans movement ramped up last year and people were pushing for multisex bathrooms and all that jazz I had a conversation with my gf's family. Her parents and I work at the same college and there is discussion at the college of possibly turning all the bathrooms into non-sex bathrooms. I argued against it which brought some eyre from my gf and quizzical looks from her family. Despite my vocal support for LGBT rights I was being talked down to because I thought the idea was a bad idea. My explanation was that despite the logitical and financial issues involved, it was a change that wasnt needed because no one is policing the bathrooms anyways. Plus, by making it a huge deal (which it would be, the college would definitely make it known) you are disenfranchising those that dont support LGBT rights and you are making it an issue for them when it need not be. I said that the more the Left pushes this, the harder the blowback will be because a high percentage of the population isnt there yet...I had to end the conversation because I was honestly getting angry. (the school did not make the move yet but it is going to happen at some point)
                            I agree with you here completely. That's just an issue that doesn't need to be addressed, other then some do-gooder out to try to prove a point about something. Maybe how they care about the issue more than others, or something, I dunno. Just leave it be. There's nothing to be gained by it, and it just pizzes too many other people off.

When I was in college and living in the dorms, we had the women's end, and the guy's end, both with their own bathroom. But in the middle, just off the lobby, was another smaller bathroom that everybody just called "the co-ed bathroom", and it was used as such. No one complained, none of the RA's or whoever even cared really, it was just a matter of convenience. And the world didn't end. And this was 35 years ago in sticksville Maine.

Comment

Working...
                            X