• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hammer
    replied
    Re: Fitness (Diet/Exercise) 2017: Relentless Forward Progress

196.4, BP at 133/94 at 10 PM.

Not the greatest, but things could be a whole lot worse. I can work on this, considering how my weight yo-yo'd in the past month with the flu, and seeing as how I haven't effectively exercised regularly in a few months. Now that the weather has broken and warmed up, I can get outside and get this under control. It's just a matter of sticking with it.

Leave a comment:

• MissThundercat
    replied

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
    Its funny. I know a bunch of people that are exercise nuts. And they think that exercise is everything and diet isn't very important. And I know a bunch of people that are big into diet and don't know if they're lazy, but they don't put much effort into exercise. They think that diet is everything - exercise is something but not that important.

Must.emphasize.both.
    By the way, 5mn_major, I remember when I trained for my first marathon. People kept telling me "oh, you can eat whatever you want, and you'll just burn it right off." As much as I like softball sized muffins from coffee shops, Nutella, and a few other treats, I know I can't have those things every day. When I worked at Sam's Club, when I saw a "reject cake" sitting in the break room, I let it go, because 1) I didn't plan on it, and two, it was no special occasion.

Furthermore, with all the endurance stuff I do, I know that most of my carbohydrates have to be smart carbohydrates. Mostly fruits, vegetables, and whole grains. The reason why I stopped mostly with the bagels is that they're not smart carbs.

And as I start training for the Hungerford 50 and as Michigan Titanium training kicks up, not only will I have to add more protein and healthy fat, I'll have to monitor the carbs to see exactly what I'm eating.

Leave a comment:

• MissThundercat
    replied

I've had a week of doing nothing except eating and recovering from my ultra. Time to start working out again. Not sure if I'll return to running this week, but I do think it's time to get back on the bike, plus do my yoga and Pilates workouts.

Leave a comment:

• FadeToBlack&Gold
    replied

For the first time ever, I used the gym at the Hilton I stayed at this past week. Did some cardio on the bike, then hit the weight machines - felt pretty good. Woke up the next morning, and I felt like an 80 year-old man. Moving my upper body was torture.

Leave a comment:

• MissThundercat
    replied

Originally posted by jen View Post
    Now going on 6 weeks of rest. During my last chiropractor trip, he didn't do the adjustment on the same side he's done before, so that's a good sign, right? It's felt pretty good for the past 3-4 days. Fingers crossed. I really, really miss exercise.
    I'd give it a few more days, then go.

And after a week of relaxing and eating, it's time to get up and start training again.

Next big challenges: Michigan Titanium full distance duathlon on August 20, and the Hungerford 50 (second attempt) on September 30.

Leave a comment:

• jen
    replied

Now going on 6 weeks of rest. During my last chiropractor trip, he didn't do the adjustment on the same side he's done before, so that's a good sign, right? It's felt pretty good for the past 3-4 days. Fingers crossed. I really, really miss exercise.

Leave a comment:

• MissThundercat
    replied

Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post
    Congrats!!!
    Thank you! Now I need to rest and recover. Luckily, between yoga, Pilates, and the bike, that won't be too difficult.

But for now, I'm going to crack open a bottle of Saugatuck Bonfire Brown Ale and celebrate.

Leave a comment:

• ericredaxe
    replied
    Originally posted by ShirtlessBob View Post
    Kal-Haven trail run, a 33.5 mile ultra-marathon: Finished in 7:20:09.

I did it. I finished an ultra.
    Congrats!!!

Leave a comment:

• MissThundercat
    replied

Originally posted by melmac View Post
    That's a good job outta you, Bob!
    Thank you. The last 6-7 miles... I had to dig as deep as I could.

Here's the medal:
    kalhavenmedal

And here's a fun fact: I burned 8,195 calories yesterday.

Leave a comment:

• melmac
    replied

That's a good job outta you, Bob!

Leave a comment:

• MissThundercat
    replied
    Kal-Haven trail run, a 33.5 mile ultra-marathon: Finished in 7:20:09.

I did it. I finished an ultra.

Leave a comment:

• MissThundercat
    replied

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
    I vaguely recall something about a distance runner on this site...

http://www.cnn.com/2017/03/28/health...commended_pool
    13 marathons later, and I've had no problems with my kidneys. With Charlevoix, Marquette, and Detroit happening later this year, plus the marathon portion of the Michigan Titanium full duathlon... I'll be just fine.

8 days until the Kal-Haven trail run. Getting nervous... 33.5 miles, when I finish, will be the furthest I have ever run.

Leave a comment:

• St. Clown
    replied

I vaguely recall something about a distance runner on this site...

http://www.cnn.com/2017/03/28/health...commended_pool

Leave a comment:

• jen
    replied

Again the with resting thing. I thought spin class might be OK, so I took a couple.. back was a little worse the day or 2 after. I have an appointment with a chiropractor on Monday. My back would be fine if I didn't want to exercise, because it's not that painful. Frustrating.

Leave a comment:

• MissThundercat
    replied
    Got an email from Kal-Haven trail run race organizers asking me when I will finish.

This is a 33.5 mile run that starts at 7 AM and the cutoff is at 3 PM. With that in mind, I'm shooting for a 12:30/mile, or 2 PM finish.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X