Fitness (Diet/Exercise) 2017: Relentless Forward Progress

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Fitness (Diet/Exercise) 2017: Relentless Forward Progress

Since going to the doctor in early August (when the BP and other numbers were actually in decent shape), I've completely fallen off the wagon in all three phases: diet/exercise/rest. Having a busy next two weeks at the office isn't going to help matters much, either.
    FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

• I have learned that I do not need to keep dragging my butt over 26.2 miles time and time again to get a great workout.

I would like to start running again by January 1, but only 2-3 miles at a time. Still no racing, though.

For right now, I am looking at a Fit Body Boot Camp near my apartment, or Chalene Johnson's Turbo Fire for more intensity.
      Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
      "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
      Patreon for exclusive writing content
      Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

• Originally posted by Hammer View Post
        Since going to the doctor in early August (when the BP and other numbers were actually in decent shape), I've completely fallen off the wagon in all three phases: diet/exercise/rest. Having a busy next two weeks at the office isn't going to help matters much, either.
        How's it going?
        "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates

Comment

• I need a higher fiber diet. I know there's Kashi, Quest bars, and other ways I can cheat, but I want to do this right.

Small avocados, steel cut oats, brown rice, winter squash, legumes... what am I missing?

Comment

Originally posted by ShirtlessBob View Post
            I need a higher fiber diet. I know there's Kashi, Quest bars, and other ways I can cheat, but I want to do this right.

Small avocados, steel cut oats, brown rice, winter squash, legumes... what am I missing?
            There are high fiber breads out there as well. I've got a loaf that gives me 6g of fiber per slice.

And to answer your earlier question, I haven't done a **** thing. I've got some work to do.
            FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

• Originally posted by Hammer View Post
              There are high fiber breads out there as well. I've got a loaf that gives me 6g of fiber per slice.

And to answer your earlier question, I haven't done a **** thing. I've got some work to do.
              I have Thomas high fiber English muffins. 8g per muffin.

Comment

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
                Yep, I also blew it all to hell this month. Too much travel.

Comment

• Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                  Yep, I also blew it all to hell this month. Too much travel.
                  I'm holding on. I've been shopping smarter and doing my hour long workout first thing, which helps.

Comment

So the thing that finally spurred me to switch up my workouts was yoga yesterday. 40 effing minutes doing progressive sun salutations. Every week. I really like yoga, but this instructor is... bleh. I tried barre (I know, super trendy) and decided it was not my thing. I tried to get a trainer, and the first one could only meet on the day I COULDN'T meet (which I put in my email, so... why'd she call?), and said she'd hook me up with someone else... and I never heard back. I think my limited schedule is going to make it hard to get a trainer. Adding body pump (Fridays aren't crowded, which is complaint #1 for me), and core/arms strength classes, switching my spin day, and sticking with ringside. and hockey, of course. I will miss yoga, but will try to add it in when I can... none of the class times work out. I know I won't do it at home. Potentially substituting swim for spin at a future date. I've had my current schedule for well over a year, so I'm excited to switch it up.

Comment

• Shalane Flanagan is the first American woman to win the NYC marathon in 40 years.

Comment

Originally posted by ShirtlessBob View Post
                        I need a higher fiber diet. I know there's Kashi, Quest bars, and other ways I can cheat, but I want to do this right.

Barley, fiber supplements(I used Vitafusion Fiber Well fit), flax seed. I buy the Hodgson Mills milled flax seed and sprinkle 4-5 tbsp on my cereal in the morning and 2-3 tbsp on my yogurt at night.
                        A bad cause requires many words.

Comment

• Originally posted by SonofSouthie View Post
                          Barley, fiber supplements(I used Vitafusion Fiber Well fit), flax seed. I buy the Hodgson Mills milled flax seed and sprinkle 4-5 tbsp on my cereal in the morning and 2-3 tbsp on my yogurt at night.
                          I'll add the flax. There are packets of it at Meijer.

Also, since I haven't gone running since July, and have noticed I'm not as hungry. During Kal-Haven training, I had a po boy, a side salad with ranch, and chips... and was still hungry.

Comment

• Don't know. I miss running, but at the same time...

My energy is back.

It feels good to not be hungry all the time.

My sciatica hasn't flared since I stopped running. My ankles don't hurt either.

It feels good to have extra money.

I no longer have to delude myself over the taste of energy gels and energy bars.

Without running, it actually feels like I'm winning the war for my health. Charlevoix Marathon felt like a Pyrrhic victory. I finished, but at a great cost.

And I do want to return some day, but at same time, my ego and my pride can cloud sound judgment. We saw it this year.

Comment

• Year's End: how did we do for 2017?

Gonna finish at about 210 lbs. Fine.

Doctor gave me permission to run again. But slow and small distances. Nothing beyond a 10K in my near future.

Didn't do everything I wanted to do this year. That's fine. I ran 2 marathons and a 33.5 mile ultra-marathon. Good enough.

Nutrition is fine. Just need more water to go with it and it might be time to switch to decaf.

If not running, I have Turbo Fire from Beachbody and there is a Fit Body Boot Camp here in Holland, MI. Quickly learning that HIIT/boot camp style workouts are more effective than what I had been doing.

And I will work on my obesity/anorexia memoir within the next year. A good editor can help prevent it from reading as a how to.

Comment

Working...
                              X