No announcement yet.

2009 Minnesota State Fair: Peach-Glazed Pork Cheeks and Norwegian Banana Splits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2009 Minnesota State Fair: Peach-Glazed Pork Cheeks and Norwegian Banana Splits

Its that time of year again, the State Fair starts on Thursday and runs through Labor Day. Please share any thoughts reviews on the food and events.

Food Finder

Some new foods for this year:
    Chocolate covered watermelon on a stick
    Funnel cake fries
    Brat burgers
    Fry dogs
    Peach glazed pork cheeks
    Sunfish filets in a boat
    Foot long dessert pizza on a stick
    Swedish meatballs and gravy
    Pot roast sundae
    Deep fried Norwegian banana split
    Beignets
    Tornado potato
    Texas steak dinner on a stick

A couple months ago there was some talk amongst some posters about a State Fair get-together, is anyone still interested in this idea? My tentative plans are to be there Friday, Aug. 28 after work until late, Sunday Aug. 30 most of the day and Saturday, Sept. 5 all day. I might toss in another night after work, or a second day over Labor day weekend if anyone is interested in the get-together on a different day.
    Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Re: 2009 Minnesota State Fair: Peach-Glazed Pork Cheeks and Norwegian Banana Splits

I'll be there for social media breakfast on Friday (8/28) morning for work, then spend the day eating my way across the grounds.

New foods to which I am looking forward:
    Peach Glazed Pork Cheeks - Famous Dave's
    Roti Dhalpourie served with jerk chicken or curry chicken
    Trinidadian "doubles" (two pieces of bara bread filled with curried chick peas, hot sauce and chutney) - Harry Singh's
    Deep Fried Norwegian Banana Split (banana wrapped in lefse, deep fried and topped with ice cream, chocolate, pineapple and strawberries) - Ole & Lena's
    Catfish po' boy - Rajin Cajun
    Spam curds (Spam and cheese battered and deep fried) - SpamBurgers
    BigPieps: Nathan > few million others
    BigPieps: Once again, Nathan speaks the truth.
    GreatLakerMohawk: Bill Smith is a ******.
    GreatLakerMohawk: Why do you question Nathan? He knows what's up. F-cking listen already.
    GreatLakerMohawk: Nathan appears to be the only smart one here. Again.

Join us for Wild Discussion at Hockey Wilderness.

Comment

Re: 2009 Minnesota State Fair: Peach-Glazed Pork Cheeks and Norwegian Banana Splits

Originally posted by Nathan View Post
      Spam curds (Spam and cheese battered and deep fried) - SpamBurgers
      ******* width="425" height="344">****** name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ODshB09FQ8w&hl=en&fs=1&">****** name="allowFullScreen" value="true">****** name="allowscriptaccess" value="always">****** src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ODshB09FQ8w&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344">

Sorry.

Cheese on a stick, Tom Thumb Donuts, Turkey's Delight, & a blackberry malt.....not sure what I will have for lunch.

Minnesota's Pride On Ice: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002 & 2003 NCAA National Champions

And the preacher said, you know you always have the Lord by your side
      And I was so pleased to be informed of this that I ran
      Twenty red lights in his honor
      Thank you Jesus, thank you Lord

~Mick Jagger/Keith Richards

Comment

Nothing quite like state fair food!

I remember as a kid we'd always go to the all-you-can-eat milk stand at the Minnesota State Fair. Thing was, they had the milk really cold, so you could only drink one or two glasses. But still great memories. Do they still have the all-you-can-eat milk stand?
        Originally posted by Priceless
        Good to see you're so reasonable.
        Originally posted by ScoobyDoo
        Very well, said.
        Originally posted by Rover
        A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gray View Post
          Nothing quite like state fair food!

I remember as a kid we'd always go to the all-you-can-eat milk stand at the Minnesota State Fair. Thing was, they had the milk really cold, so you could only drink one or two glasses. But still great memories. Do they still have the all-you-can-eat milk stand?
          Yep - next to Turkey's Delight (seriously, it's the best turkey sandwich you'll ever have). Convenient.

Minnesota's Pride On Ice: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002 & 2003 NCAA National Champions

And the preacher said, you know you always have the Lord by your side
          And I was so pleased to be informed of this that I ran
          Twenty red lights in his honor
          Thank you Jesus, thank you Lord

~Mick Jagger/Keith Richards

Comment

I always like going on Labor Day. Many things are discounted, so you can maximize your food dollar.
            Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
            Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Greyeagle View Post
              Yep - next to Turkey's Delight (seriously, it's the best turkey sandwich you'll ever have). Convenient.
              I've had one of those before, and they are very good, but I don't go to the State Fair to eat a turkey sandwich.

Of the new foods, I really need to try the peach glazed pork cheeks and the norwegian banana split. I will probably try the fry dog and the pot roast sundae also.
              Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

My tentative plan is to be there from about 10 till 3 on Friday the 28th, and again on Friday the 4th.

I don't really go for anything but the food (and beer) and some light browsing of the crap people are selling. Maybe a stop to watch Robot Wars.
                PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
                Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
                NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

I like getting warm chocolate chip cookies and going to the milk booth. I can taste it now.

And there's usually pretty good gyro or burrito to be had somewhere.

Can't say I eat anything on a stick there, not even corn dogs/pronto pups.

Comment

Originally posted by JF_Gophers View Post
                    I don't really go for anything but the food (and beer) and some light browsing of the crap people are selling. Maybe a stop to watch Robot Wars.
                    I always spend a lot of my time in the beef barn and at the beef show. I used to show in 4-H, FFA and Open class beef shows so I still know many people that are there, and I enjoy watching the shows still. Last year I was even the last minute ringman for one of the open class rings.

We always used to get a bunch of entertainment out of all of you city slickers! People never figured out to never pick up a dollar bill laying in the aisle of the beef barn...

RIP - Kirby

Comment

I worked at the Fair twice...you think it is crazy going try dealing with you people for two weeks...oh my! That said I still get free stuff from other workers there

Oh and Sweet Martha's Cookies are the best and if you havent had Alligator at Bayou Bobs I highly recommend it
                      "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                      -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                      -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                      -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                        We always used to get a bunch of entertainment out of all of you city slickers! People never figured out to never pick up a dollar bill laying in the aisle of the beef barn...
                        I don't know what your family told you but choosing to not mount the farm animals makes us the normal ones.
                        Hollywood Hair Care Tip for Infinity (Directly from Hollywood himself)
                        when its minus 20 and u have to go outside.. make sure u wear a winter hat as the mohawk does not enjoy the winter weathe(r)
                        Hollywood Amazingness

Comment

Originally posted by Dirty View Post
                          I don't know what your family told you but choosing to not mount the farm animals makes us the normal ones.
                          75% of the people you see walking around the fair are far from being "normal".

Besides, you're not supposed to mount cattle, you lead cattle, you mount horses. We don't have horses, never have, never will. So no mounting occurs for me!
                          You really don't have to worry about the people with cattle, its those with sheep and goats that are a little bit off.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Swedish meatballs and gravy
                            I believe I read that this is served wrapped in lefse...known as a Lefse Buss. It's served by the lefse place, anyhow.

I will miss this year's fair...I moved to Milwaukee and so I'm not two hours away anymore. Wisconsin's fair just isn't the same, even though we had chocolate covered bacon and our mayor made himself a hero there. And my job isn't sensitive to the fact that people shouldn't have to ask for the occasional weekend off.
                            Originally posted by Jack Layton's last words to Canada
                            My friends, hope is better than anger, love is better than fear, optimism is better than despair. So let us be Hopeful, Loving, and Optimistic, and we'll change the world.

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                              The sheep barn had one up on you. Some county's sheep kids have a giant rubber spider on a string hanging over one of the rafters. I'm a country girl (not farm-raised but plenty of farm experience) and I got a laugh out of that one (and wisely saw it before they saw me).
                              Originally posted by Jack Layton's last words to Canada
                              My friends, hope is better than anger, love is better than fear, optimism is better than despair. So let us be Hopeful, Loving, and Optimistic, and we'll change the world.

Comment

Working...
                              X