Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

115th Congress. In Bridge, Can Hearts be Trumped? In Spades!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 115th Congress. In Bridge, Can Hearts be Trumped? In Spades!

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    He could be laying low for a future shot at governor or Senator. I actually didn't know he's 50, I would've guessed 40-ish.
    Mormons age well

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
      Maybe...though if they support the BS GOP ACHA proposal the same people who hate Chaffetz will hate the newbie too.
      sure people heckled Chaffetz at a town hall near Salt Lake City, but he won his last election with over 70% of the vote. Those hecklers, many of whom were organized by a progressive group, are a significant minority in his district. Sure, a few of the angry people were fringe freedumb caucus types, but are those people going to vote for a Democrat? Nope. No congressional district that includes Provo is going to put a Democrat into office.

Comment

Originally posted by BassAle View Post
        sure people heckled Chaffetz at a town hall near Salt Lake City, but he won his last election with over 70% of the vote. Those hecklers, many of whom were organized by a progressive group, are a significant minority in his district. Sure, a few of the angry people were fringe freedumb caucus types, but are those people going to vote for a Democrat? Nope. No congressional district that includes Provo is going to put a Democrat into office.
        You mean like how no state with Madison as a capital would vote for Trump to be President?

People dont like being ripped off personally and Chaffetz was in favor of doing that. And sorry but I am pretty sure the "Progressives were the ones protesting" meme was disproven a while ago. The videos didnt show many people who were under Medicare age and they aint known for their progressive ideals
        "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
        -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
        -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
        -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

So this is what happens when the Cubs finally when the series after 108 years. Five months after losing a race everyone said couldn't be lost, and getting stomped everywhere else, lefties have convinced themselves they're going to go into the deep south and Utah and start running the table. Other than Scoobs, who says optimism is dead in this country?
          That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
            So this is what happens when the Cubs finally when the series after 108 years. Five months after losing a race everyone said couldn't be lost, and getting stomped everywhere else, lefties have convinced themselves they're going to go into the deep south and Utah and start running the table. Other than Scoobs, who says optimism is dead in this country?
            I really hope your side keeps thinking like this. Please, say it to yourselves in the mirror every day. You're not in any danger at all. Everybody loves your policies. Your leaders exude a quiet competence. There is no anger at all in the country that is non-ideological but simply blames the incumbent.

You're going to be fine, just fine. Nothing to see here.
            Cornell University
            National Champion 1967, 1970
            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

So the fact that the Dem might win the Georgia 6th is just completely lost on you? Go back to defending United it made more sense

(just because we think they CAN doesnt mean we think they WILL...some people dont think in absolutes)
              "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
              -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
              -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
              -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                So the fact that the Dem might win the Georgia 6th is just completely lost on you? Go back to defending United it made more sense

(just because we think they CAN doesnt mean we think they WILL...some people dont think in absolutes)
                Handy

For a Dem to win in a non urban / non college area of the deep South requires a leap of faith.
                CCT '77 & '78
                4 kids
                5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

• Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                  You mean like how no state with Madison as a capital would vote for Trump to be President?

People dont like being ripped off personally and Chaffetz was in favor of doing that. And sorry but I am pretty sure the "Progressives were the ones protesting" meme was disproven a while ago. The videos didnt show many people who were under Medicare age and they aint known for their progressive ideals
                  Sorry, no ***** way he would lose reelection. He could drop 20% and still win. Provo ain't voting for a D. And it's a fact a progressive group organized for his town hall. True progressives are a tiny fraction of his district and they turned out in disproportionate numbers.

Come to my town and I'll show you plenty of silver haired progressives. ****, Bernie is no spring chicken!
                  Last edited by BassAle; 04-19-2017, 08:19 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by joecct View Post
                    Handy

For a Dem to win in a non urban / non college area of the deep South requires a leap of faith.
                    You're assuming all the blue hairs are happy and that's not what the current environment is

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                      I really hope your side keeps thinking like this. Please, say it to yourselves in the mirror every day. You're not in any danger at all. Everybody loves your policies. Your leaders exude a quiet competence. There is no anger at all in the country that is non-ideological but simply blames the incumbent.

You're going to be fine, just fine. Nothing to see here.
                      Ahh, just poking a little fun at you guys.

If any side thinks like I do, they're likely doomed. My political instincts are nil.
                      That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

• Originally posted by BassAle View Post
                        Sorry, no ***** way he would lose reelection. He could drop 20% and still win. Provo ain't voting for a D. And it's a fact a progressive group organized for his town hall. True progressives are a tiny fraction of his district and they turned out in disproportionate numbers.

Come to my town and I'll show you plenty of silver haired progressives. ****, Bernie is no spring chicken!
                        You mean the baby boomers who ruined this country. Depending on them seems like a long shot
                        I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                          Handy

We are talking about one district, the Georgia 6th which includes the suburbs of Atlanta. We arent talking about DrunkonMoonshine, Tennessee.

A district BTW that Trump won by 1%...13% less than Mitt Romney.

Despite what SJHovey (and apparently you) think, no one is saying the Dems are going to turn the South Blue...but this one district they can flip because pbviously some of the Red dont like the way the current GOP is going.
                          -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by BassAle View Post

Well we will never know because he is choosing not to run. Is McMullin from that area could he run?
                            -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                              Handy

But that is the point. GA-6 is R+8, yet it is competitive. There are something like 60 R seats inside that margin in the House. Now add in that the average loss by the incumbent party in a midterm, all things being equal, is 33, and that Trump has record unfavorables for a new president, and the 24 seats the Dems need to take the House starts to look reasonable.

The GOP is sitting on a ledge in the House: they have a majority despite losing the net popular vote in House elections by more than one million votes. And that's not like Senate races where a large state can offset a bunch of small ones; by definition, House districts are all roughly the same size.

The GOP's sweep of the White House and both chambers is hiding some very deep systemic problems. It doesn't take a lot of imagination to come up with a scenario where the ice breaks and a lot of GOP incumbents drown.
                              Cornell University
                              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

If any side thinks like I do, they're likely doomed. My political instincts are nil.
                                Well, clearly this is true of us all here. We've got me rooting for The People's Republic That Is Always Just 2 Elections Away, Rover who believes Hillary is STILL A LOCK, DARN IT, if only those mean liberals would bow and scrape, Scooby who guarantees whatever the worst possible outcome is without reflection because thinking is hard, Fish who regurgitates whatever he heard on Fox and Friends this morning, and Flag who angrily rattles the bars while hiding some flies for a late night snack.

This place aint exactly the Jacobin Club.
                                Last edited by Kepler; 04-20-2017, 08:00 AM.
                                Cornell University

Comment

Working...
                                X