Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

115th Congress. In Bridge, Can Hearts be Trumped? In Spades!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kepler
    replied
    Re: 115th Congress. In Bridge, Can Hearts be Trumped? In Spades!

Moore, Breitbart, Palin, Hannity 57
    Strange, Trump, McConnell, Pence 43

Leave a comment:

• joecct
    replied
    Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    Oh, I fully expect them to nominate an imbecile. Corker could use his brain from time-to-time, so it stands to reason that in the wake of the Dump wave, his successor will have the IQ of a primate. It's a shame that they pander to the female gorillas by nominating a female gorilla. These biddies are doing more to reverse the female empowerment cause than some Republican men are.
    Actually if some GOP Senator actually follows thru with the campaign promise, I'd be shocked, SHOCKED!!

Leave a comment:

• FadeToBlack&Gold
    replied
    Originally posted by bronconick View Post
    Too bad the replacement, Martha Blackburn is dumber
    Oh, I fully expect them to nominate an imbecile. Corker could use his brain from time-to-time, so it stands to reason that in the wake of the Dump wave, his successor will have the IQ of a primate. It's a shame that they pander to the female gorillas by nominating a female gorilla. These biddies are doing more to reverse the female empowerment cause than some Republican men are.

Leave a comment:

• bronconick
    replied

Too bad the replacement, Martha Blackburn is dumber

Leave a comment:

• Rover
    replied

Guess he didn't want to serve with his soon to be colleague from next door, Senator Roy Moore! Curious to see how that Alabama primary goes tonight. If Moore wins, look for David Duke to make a Senate bid next.

Leave a comment:

• FadeToBlack&Gold
    replied

Corker flees the sinking SS Neocuckservative

Leave a comment:

• bronconick
    replied

Some of the right-wing agitprop sites are attempting to plant the seed that Manchin might announce a party switch next week. On a political probability scale of 0 to 14, 0 meaning inconceivable and 14 meaning absolute metaphysical certitude, what are odds of this happening?
    Based on this it seems unlikely since the R's would likely want that vote ASAP.

Unless they're hoping to get to 49 and then get the party switch to stigginit to the libs in one fell swoop.

That would be proper Republican behavior.

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied

That's a real good question. I hope it's bullsh-t, or that at worst Manchin is sticking Schumer up.

Leave a comment:

• FadeToBlack&Gold
    replied

Some of the right-wing agitprop sites are attempting to plant the seed that Manchin might announce a party switch next week. On a political probability scale of 0 to 14, 0 meaning inconceivable and 14 meaning absolute metaphysical certitude, what are odds of this happening?

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
    Without actually looking at it and based only upon Kep's initial paragraph it sounds as though it evaluates how often a senator votes against the most common leanings of his/her constituents?
    No, because the state and district lean are not based on the votes being measured. Now, for example, the GOP may propose a measure that f-cks over the people of a red state like IN, and the people may be against it. The metric measures the offset between the Member's voting and the contituents' party-weighted voting preference. The fact that a constituency can diverge from its party lean is attested by the fact that Republicans get elected in blue leaning constituencies and vice versa.

Leave a comment:

• Slap Shot
    replied

Without actually looking at it and based only upon Kep's initial paragraph it sounds as though it evaluates how often a senator votes against the most common leanings of his/her constituents?

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    Unless I'm completely misreading it, I don't like this model. Not at all. It doesn't take into account the reasonableness of the votes. It's not about scoring points, it's about being a responsible legislator. If a supreme court justice is qualified, vote for him or her. If keeping the government open is scored on either side of this stupid metric, it's just the liberal version of the Tea Party: Party before country, at all costs.
    I don't think all votes are equal. It's not just points. The votes are scored as left or right on various special interest groups' scales. It might help to drill down by the issues. The site is really just the front end to a huge database, so you can figure out a lot of different ways of accessing the data.

But yes, at the very highest level it's a measure of fidelity -- not necessarily to party, but to ideology. That's the whole idea.

Leave a comment:

• dxmnkd316
    replied

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
    Here is an interesting way to look at Senators. Go to this table. (The whole site is quite excellent.) Go to the far right column "Progressive Score vs. State Tilt" and click on the arrow under "%" to sort by it.

This gives you an idea of how well a Senator does (or does not) push to the left given the realities of their political landscape. Manchin and Carper, for example, both exert about the same amount of leftward push when normalized against their state's orientation. In their case they are actually overcompensating to the right -- Manchin because he's in fear of his life, Carper I dunno why, but given that it's DE I assume it has to do with corporate bribery.

Brown, Franken, and Baldwin really come out looking good on that measure. Feinstein, OTOH, looks like sh-t, which is what I'd expect from Miss Chicken of the Sea (edit: oops, sorry, that was Pelosi).

All the Republicans are horrific of course, but McCain comes off looking pretty anodyne probably due to the Brownian motion of his dementia and irascibility. Lee's score is bizarre and I assume it indicates a flaw in the model: by voting against GOP bills he's racking up "liberal" points, but he's voting against them because they're not evil enough, so it's very deceiving. Paul has some of that going on too, though on privacy issues he's at least talked a good game (though IINM he has rarely backed it up with any votes). By that indicator Cory Gardner should be the Republican Lady Gaga, doing more with less for the orcs than any of his peers.

Do the same with Members here, against District tilt. Note there are Democrats who actually fall below Republicans. That is extremely bad behavior.
    Unless I'm completely misreading it, I don't like this model. Not at all. It doesn't take into account the reasonableness of the votes. It's not about scoring points, it's about being a responsible legislator. If a supreme court justice is qualified, vote for him or her. If keeping the government open is scored on either side of this stupid metric, it's just the liberal version of the Tea Party: Party before country, at all costs.

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied

Here is an interesting way to look at Senators. Go to this table. (The whole site is quite excellent.) Go to the far right column "Progressive Score vs. State Tilt" and click on the arrow under "%" to sort by it.

This gives you an idea of how well a Senator does (or does not) push to the left given the realities of their political landscape. Manchin and Carper, for example, both exert about the same amount of leftward push when normalized against their state's orientation. In their case they are actually overcompensating to the right -- Manchin because he's in fear of his life, Carper I dunno why, but given that it's DE I assume it has to do with corporate bribery.

Brown, Franken, and Baldwin really come out looking good on that measure. Feinstein, OTOH, looks like sh-t, which is what I'd expect from Miss Chicken of the Sea (edit: oops, sorry, that was Pelosi).

All the Republicans are horrific of course, but McCain comes off looking pretty anodyne probably due to the Brownian motion of his dementia and irascibility. Lee's score is bizarre and I assume it indicates a flaw in the model: by voting against GOP bills he's racking up "liberal" points, but he's voting against them because they're not evil enough, so it's very deceiving. Paul has some of that going on too, though on privacy issues he's at least talked a good game (though IINM he has rarely backed it up with any votes). By that indicator Cory Gardner should be the Republican Lady Gaga, doing more with less for the orcs than any of his peers.

Do the same with Members here, against District tilt. Note there are Democrats who actually fall below Republicans. That is extremely bad behavior.
    Last edited by Kepler; 09-22-2017, 10:32 AM.

Leave a comment:

• dxmnkd316
    replied

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
    Raging homophobic moron declares for Gov in MI.

He seems nice.
    A line from the article:

A similar case is being heard in U.S. District Court. Schuette is fighting an injunction put in place last summer of a law that bars partners of employees in public schools and local governments from receiving domestic partner benefits. The judge in that case said that Schuette’s argument had the “force of a five-week-old, unrefrigerated dead fish.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X