• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dxmnkd316
    replied
    Re: POTUS Elect Trump II: Lefties whining and regurgitating fake news

Originally posted by aparch View Post
    Exactly; He sold the nation a Monorail.

And he sold it to people who don't understand they were being played.

(I believe this link was posted here earlier: http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...maps.html?_r=0

Shows most common in urban areas:

Adventure Time
    American Horror Story
    Family Guy
    Game of Thrones
    It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia
    Modern Family
    MythBusters
    Once Upon a Time
    Orange Is the New Black
    Saturday Night Live
    So You Think You Can Dance
    South Park
    The Big Bang Theory
    The Daily Show
    The Simpsons
    The Tonight Show
    Tosh.0

Shows most common in rural areas:

16 and Pregnant
    American Dad!
    America’s Funniest Home Videos
    Bones
    Cake Boss
    Criminal Minds
    Dancing With the Stars
    Deadliest Catch
    Duck Dynasty
    Fast n’ Loud
    Grey’s Anatomy
    NCIS
    Pawn Stars
    Pretty Little Liars
    Ridiculousness
    Rob Dyrdek’s Fantasy Factory
    Supernatural
    Teen Mom
    The Vampire Diaries
    The Voice
    The Walking Dead
    Wipeout
    Goddammit North Haverbrook!

Leave a comment:

• joecct
    replied
    Originally posted by burd View Post
    And now we have Israel saying it will ignore a UN resolution on West Bank settlements, while Trump speaks out against that resolution. Congress, in its wisdom, threatens to do what it can to defund the UN.

It gets scarier.
    The UN is turning into the League of Nations. Toothless - it's Festivus 365/24/7.

Leave a comment:

• aparch
    replied
    Originally posted by unofan View Post
    What makes him worthy of contempt is that he's a snake oil salesman and you can't believe a single thing he says. That he was able to con enough people to vote for him says more about society than anything else.
    Exactly; He sold the nation a Monorail.

And he sold it to people who don't understand they were being played.

(I believe this link was posted here earlier: http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...maps.html?_r=0

Shows most common in urban areas:

Adventure Time
    American Horror Story
    Family Guy
    Game of Thrones
    It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia
    Modern Family
    MythBusters
    Once Upon a Time
    Orange Is the New Black
    Saturday Night Live
    So You Think You Can Dance
    South Park
    The Big Bang Theory
    The Daily Show
    The Simpsons
    The Tonight Show
    Tosh.0

Shows most common in rural areas:

16 and Pregnant
    American Dad!
    America’s Funniest Home Videos
    Bones
    Cake Boss
    Criminal Minds
    Dancing With the Stars
    Deadliest Catch
    Duck Dynasty
    Fast n’ Loud
    Grey’s Anatomy
    NCIS
    Pawn Stars
    Pretty Little Liars
    Ridiculousness
    Rob Dyrdek’s Fantasy Factory
    Supernatural
    Teen Mom
    The Vampire Diaries
    The Voice
    The Walking Dead
    Wipeout

Leave a comment:

• FadeToBlack&Gold
    replied

Originally posted by burd View Post
    And now we have Israel saying it will ignore a UN resolution on West Bank settlements, while Trump speaks out against that resolution. Congress, in its wisdom, threatens to do what it can to defund the UN.

It gets scarier.
    They didn't say they'd just ignore it, they actually indicated that they will double down and build even more settlements.

Netan-yayhoo needs to be reeled in. So tired of half our citizens, and billions of our tax dollars, defending and propping up this jackboot.

Leave a comment:

• SJHovey
    replied

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
    Trump won't be president. He'll be Trump -- a garden variety hustler. Nothing he says means anything -- it has zero informational content. He's an empty vessel. We won't have a president.

But the Republicans will have a huge distraction while they quietly go about repealing the 20th century. The most healthy thing we can do is utterly ignore Trump and keep our eyes on the actions that the GOP Congress does. That's where all the damage will come from, and every second we spent distracted by Trump gives them more power.

We don't have to stop Trump - there's nothing to stop. We have to stop Ryan and McConnell and the rest of their criminal gang.
    We will see four years of what we saw yesterday. Trump sitting down at Mar-a-Lago and a parade of people like the heads of Johns Hopkins and the Mayo Clinic visiting him to "update" him on new advances in healthcare, etc...

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied

What makes him worthy of contempt is that he's a snake oil salesman and you can't believe a single thing he says. That he was able to con enough people to vote for him says more about society than anything else.
    Trump won't be president. He'll be Trump -- a garden variety hustler. Nothing he says means anything -- it has zero informational content. He's an empty vessel. We won't have a president.

But the Republicans will have a huge distraction while they quietly go about repealing the 20th century. The most healthy thing we can do is utterly ignore Trump and keep our eyes on the actions that the GOP Congress does. That's where all the damage will come from, and every second we spent distracted by Trump gives them more power.

We don't have to stop Trump - there's nothing to stop. We have to stop Ryan and McConnell and the rest of their criminal gang.

Leave a comment:

• SJHovey
    replied

That's fine. I have no problem with that. In fact, it's the reason I gave months ago about why I couldn't vote for him.

Leave a comment:

• unofan
    replied
    Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
    The thing people have to remember about Trump though is this. He is not a politician. This is a guy with literally zero political experience. Nothing. Not even City Alderman. He's probably going to have to have someone Google the old Schoolhouse Rock video to recall how a bill becomes law.

In other words, he's pretty much like every other 70 year old you know except that he won the lottery at birth and thus has had the funds to do whatever he wants.

He is going to act, tweet and speak pretty much like every other embarrassing old grandparent or uncle any of us have known. For some voters, that was apparently part of his appeal. That doesn't make him evil, or even necessarily worthy of our contempt. It's just who he is. Like that embarrassing relative, we're going to have to tolerate him for a few more years because like it or not, we're stuck with him.

Leave a comment:

• SJHovey
    replied

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    He's the POTUS. If his age results in disqualifying characteristics, I don't see why he gets a pass.

Edit: removed snark.
    The thing people have to remember about Trump though is this. He is not a politician. This is a guy with literally zero political experience. Nothing. Not even City Alderman. He's probably going to have to have someone Google the old Schoolhouse Rock video to recall how a bill becomes law.

In other words, he's pretty much like every other 70 year old you know except that he won the lottery at birth and thus has had the funds to do whatever he wants.

He is going to act, tweet and speak pretty much like every other embarrassing old grandparent or uncle any of us have known. For some voters, that was apparently part of his appeal. That doesn't make him evil, or even necessarily worthy of our contempt. It's just who he is. Like that embarrassing relative, we're going to have to tolerate him for a few more years because like it or not, we're stuck with him.

Leave a comment:

• dxmnkd316
    replied

People seem to set their tech comfort level around the age of 35. Whatever is current and common then is "normal," whatever was before is "quaint" or "backwards," and whatever comes after is "new-fangled" and, depending on personality type, threatening, suspicious, or magical.

Anecdotal example: I just got back from a trip yesterday and was in the car coming home, and I managed (for the first time) to get a live video feed of the Cornell game on my phone. To me, this is magical. I felt like the Louis C. K. routine: "you're sitting in a chair IN THE SKY!!!!" All the tech that has become available to me since my 35th birthday seems like a red-haired pixie girl with three boobs and good credit who can cook.
    I'm actually curious to see what happens when the bulk of millenials turn 35. Are they going to have the same reaction to technology?

I have no idea.

Leave a comment:

• dxmnkd316
    replied

Yeah, the guy is about to become President. But let me ask this question. How many 70 year old people don't find computers to be complicated, frustrating, suspicious devices, at least at some level? 70 year old people use computers, and even recognize some benefit to them. But a sizable majority of them, especially people who don't necessarily use them everyday, eye them with great suspicion.

Your time is coming. The device hasn't been invented yet, but society will demand that you know how to use it and understand it completely, and you'll get to learn it when you're 50.
    He's the POTUS. If his age results in disqualifying characteristics, I don't see why he gets a pass.

Edit: removed snark.
    Last edited by dxmnkd316; 12-29-2016, 09:04 AM.

Leave a comment:

• mookie1995
    replied

This is going to be a great four years for political scientists.
    good lord what a stupid degree/field there

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied

People seem to set their tech comfort level around the age of 35. Whatever is current and common then is "normal," whatever was before is "quaint" or "backwards," and whatever comes after is "new-fangled" and, depending on personality type, threatening, suspicious, or magical.

Anecdotal example: I just got back from a trip yesterday and was in the car coming home, and I managed (for the first time) to get a live video feed of the Cornell game on my phone. To me, this is magical. I felt like the Louis C. K. routine: "you're sitting in a chair IN THE SKY!!!!" All the tech that has become available to me since my 35th birthday seems like a red-haired pixie girl with three boobs and good credit who can cook.

Leave a comment:

• St. Clown
    replied

Yeah, the guy is about to become President. But let me ask this question. How many 70 year old people don't find computers to be complicated, frustrating, suspicious devices, at least at some level? 70 year old people use computers, and even recognize some benefit to them. But a sizable majority of them, especially people who don't necessarily use them everyday, eye them with great suspicion.

Your time is coming. The device hasn't been invented yet, but society will demand that you know how to use it and understand it completely, and you'll get to learn it when you're 50.
    I'd bet it's about a 5:3 ratio in favor of people born during the Great Depression being able to use those blasted machines. I say this strictly based upon the people in my life. And this isn't to say that those people can all use them well, as in a few I know constantly have to get anti-virus help from friends and family.

Leave a comment:

• ScoobyDoo
    replied

My dad is in his 70's and gets along with Technology just fine. His education is a GED after the Army. Bring it on.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X