X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Nice Planet 13: This Planet Sucks

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
    Can't tell the players without a scorecard.

The spectacularly clueless victimhood of these snowflakes is delicious.

The latter are almost entirely a mythic projection of the various sexual and intellectual inadequacies of the former. There are a few sophomores at the Usual Suspect schools but nobody laughs at them harder than mature feminists, including the actual faculty of women's studies programs. Dr. Mrs. is one such, I'm another, and we and our friends roll our eyes just as much as the rest of you.
    No disrespect intended to this blogger, but some kid in his late twenties or early thirties who had his heart ripped out by the first girl he banged and then spent the next untold amount of months reading internet sites like "solvemygirlproblems" is the last guy we should be citing to for erudite analysis of male psychology.
    That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
      Not sure where else to put this. A software engineer at Google wrote a stereotypical MRA-esque manifesto that leaked out over the weekend, basically bashing Google's diversity efforts and claiming biological differences are why women are underrepresented at Google and tech companies generally. The backlash has since created an anti-backlash backlash within and external to the company.
      Well this one at least puts some science to it

https://medium.com/tech-diversity-fi...n-cb7a2073b996

Comment

You guys sound as lame as anyone that tries to put people into silos and are regularly ripped for it from the left.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
          You guys sound as lame as anyone that tries to put people into silos and are regularly ripped for it from the left.
          Some people deserve silo-ing and ridicule. The "red pill" community/cult is one such group.

Comment

So I read the document this morning. He's not entirely wrong. He makes some really stupid comments that have probably been the focus of the backlash. But buried in it are some good points.

Firing him instead of engaging him just confirms a lot of what he was saying.

Though, I suppose you could make an argument that firing him is exactly what he's arguing in favor of: De-emphasize compassion and engagement and look at the dollars and cents.

I'm strongly in favor of ensuring women have a stronger place in leadership positions. We need to get the national average of women on boards up. How we get there is the debate worth having. Which I think is what he was getting at. The problem is he didn't see that there are some "sacrifices" (I can't think of a better word right now) we need to make in order to get there.
            Code:
            As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
            College Hockey 6       College Football 0
            BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
            Originally posted by SanTropez
            May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
            Originally posted by bigblue_dl
            I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
            Originally posted by Kepler
            When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
            He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

The Google thing does bring up good points.

However, considering the laws in this country, it might have been better to not make it an internal memo. Make it your personal blog/whatever. As we have seen, there are serious repercussions in making this sort of statement in the workplace. The result might have been the same, but more credence might have been given.
              Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
              Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

I read the memo again. I'm seeing more and more issues with it. His good points are dwarfed by the really bad points. Many of his statements just don't line up with reality.

I also read the "So, about this Googler's manifesto" article on on Medium. It's a mixed bag. Sections 1 and 3 are dead on. Section 2 has some interesting points, but I'm not sure how universal it is.
                Code:
                May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/07/b...imes&smtyp=cur

Things really blowing up. Guy was fired. Lawsuit's pending. Yeeesh.
                  **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                  Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

• Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post

Ah cue the MRA crowd whining now.
                    He has a right to voice his opinion, and others have he right to think he's advancing harmful stereotypes. And apparently google thinks they have a right to terminate.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post

If you want to create an open forum at your work place for your employees to write about or post comments on the the conditions of their work environment, and then decide that you want to fire an employee for what he writes about, you had better be prepared for a discussion with representatives from the NLRB.

Now, the bright spot for Google is that given the court ruling that set aside some of Obama's appointments, general Republican obstructionism to all appointments and apparent ignorance of the Trump administration of the need to actually nominate people to open positions, I'm not sure the NLRB is actually still in existence.
                      That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
                        He has a right to voice his opinion, and others have he right to think he's advancing harmful stereotypes. And apparently google thinks they have a right to terminate.
                        Everyone's entitled and no one wins. Except the 1% who always win.
                        **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                        Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                          If you want to create an open forum at your work place for your employees to write about or post comments on the the conditions of their work environment, and then decide that you want to fire an employee for what he writes about, you had better be prepared for a discussion with representatives from the NLRB.

Now, the bright spot for Google is that given the court ruling that set aside some of Obama's appointments, general Republican obstructionism to all appointments and apparent ignorance of the Trump administration of the need to actually nominate people to open positions, I'm not sure the NLRB is actually still in existence.
                          That's an interesting point. I'm guessing this story isn't going to go away any time soon unless there's a settlement.
                          Code:

Comment

• Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
                            I'm comfortable saying Google has the right to terminate. Notwithstanding that one's viewpoint isn't a protected class, his memo opened them up to sexual harassment and discrimination claims.

Comment

• Originally posted by SJHovey View Post

Unless he was a union member, which I highly doubt, the NLRB is going to do Jack shiat.

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
                                I'm comfortable saying Google has the right to terminate. Notwithstanding that one's viewpoint isn't a protected class, his memo opened them up to sexual harassment and discrimination claims.
                                Forgive my ignorance on what is probably fairly obvious. Is the reason it opened them up to lawsuits because it could be used as evidence supporting other claims? I don't know his exact role in the company, but if he doesn't have any hiring responsibilities, what would be the discrimination claim? What would be the damages they are claiming? What would they have to prove?

Also, could it theoretically open them to claims by both women and men?
                                Code:

Comment

Working...
                                X