• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Handyman
    replied
    Re: Nice Planet 13: This Planet Sucks

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    Is it too much to hope that this bill passes, just to watch Texas feel the economic sting like NC did?
    Problem is Texas wont because there is too much in Texas. It isnt like the Dallas Cowboys are going to threaten to leave, or Mark Cuban will move the Mavericks...and American Airlines wont move their hub. And what are the chances that any of the liberals in Austin are going to move or not spend money? I doubt SXSW is going anywhere nor Austin City Limits...

Outside of ACC basketball no one cares about North Carolina. Texas is a whole nother animal. They may lose an All-Star game or something but it isnt like the Cotton Bowl is going anywhere.

Leave a comment:

• ScoobyDoo
    replied

Hey Republicans. Go **** yourself.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...imes&smtyp=cur

Leave a comment:

• ScoobyDoo
    replied

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    Is it too much to hope that this bill passes, just to watch Texas feel the economic sting like NC did?
    I think that's a valid response. These clowns need to get their way like they did in Kansas so they can feel the pain.

Leave a comment:

• FadeToBlack&Gold
    replied

Leave a comment:

• ScoobyDoo
    replied

Originally posted by French Rage View Post
    One of the greatest things about the last few years has been businesses realizing that these anti-LGBTQ laws are bad for them and switching sides, and how the religious right is throwing a fit over that.
    I agree but with the Supreme's where they're at you better make sure you kill the bill now cause if it goes there you have no idea what might happen. We have two Thomas's now. I never thought that would be possible in my lifetime.

Leave a comment:

• French Rage
    replied

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
    One of the greatest things about the last few years has been businesses realizing that these anti-LGBTQ laws are bad for them and switching sides, and how the religious right is throwing a fit over that.

Leave a comment:

• ScoobyDoo
    replied

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/08/u...imes&smtyp=cur

AUSTIN, Tex. — With little more than a week left in Texas’ 30-day special legislative session, a barrage of corporate advertising and activism has the potential to sink legislation restricting transgender bathroom use that has been a flash point in the state’s culture wars.

A video ad campaign titled “Big Business Hypocrisy,” sponsored by Family Research Council Action, says major corporations, hotels and airlines are demanding that “Texas expose women and children to policies that could endanger them in the most private of places” — the bathroom — while refusing to “enact the same unsafe policies in their own facilities.”
    Nice ****ing planet.

Leave a comment:

• FlagDUDE08
    replied

Refusing service as a private entity to a couple that happens to be the same gender is prohibited, yet this is OK... http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...y-cake-9-year/

Leave a comment:

• unofan
    replied
    Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    Forgive my ignorance on what is probably fairly obvious. Is the reason it opened them up to lawsuits because it could be used as evidence supporting other claims? I don't know his exact role in the company, but if he doesn't have any hiring responsibilities, what would be the discrimination claim? What would be the damages they are claiming? What would they have to prove?

Also, could it theoretically open them to claims by both women and men?
    My understanding is that peer reviews are a major part of Google's promotion/raise process, and presumably he would've been involved in reviewing at least some women.

Beyond that, though, Google had to respond in some way, even if not necessarily by firing him. If they do nothing, they're unofficially condoning, if not supporting, his statements slamming women, and that opens them up for all sorts of lawsuits the next time someone with actual power does something.

Leave a comment:

• Handyman
    replied

I dont see how Google did anything wrong here and I doubt any court will see any way they did either.

Leave a comment:

• SJHovey
    replied

Originally posted by unofan View Post
    Unless he was a union member, which I highly doubt, the NLRB is going to do Jack shiat.
    Yeah, maybe. But in the last few years under Obama at least the NLRB made it a point of emphasis to go after "concerted activity" claims in both the union and non-union setting.

Leave a comment:

• dxmnkd316
    replied

Originally posted by unofan View Post
    I'm comfortable saying Google has the right to terminate. Notwithstanding that one's viewpoint isn't a protected class, his memo opened them up to sexual harassment and discrimination claims.
    Forgive my ignorance on what is probably fairly obvious. Is the reason it opened them up to lawsuits because it could be used as evidence supporting other claims? I don't know his exact role in the company, but if he doesn't have any hiring responsibilities, what would be the discrimination claim? What would be the damages they are claiming? What would they have to prove?

Also, could it theoretically open them to claims by both women and men?

Leave a comment:

• unofan
    replied
    Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
    If you want to create an open forum at your work place for your employees to write about or post comments on the the conditions of their work environment, and then decide that you want to fire an employee for what he writes about, you had better be prepared for a discussion with representatives from the NLRB.

Now, the bright spot for Google is that given the court ruling that set aside some of Obama's appointments, general Republican obstructionism to all appointments and apparent ignorance of the Trump administration of the need to actually nominate people to open positions, I'm not sure the NLRB is actually still in existence.
    Unless he was a union member, which I highly doubt, the NLRB is going to do Jack shiat.

Leave a comment:

• unofan
    replied
    Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
    Ah cue the MRA crowd whining now.
    He has a right to voice his opinion, and others have he right to think he's advancing harmful stereotypes. And apparently google thinks they have a right to terminate.
    I'm comfortable saying Google has the right to terminate. Notwithstanding that one's viewpoint isn't a protected class, his memo opened them up to sexual harassment and discrimination claims.

Leave a comment:

• dxmnkd316
    replied

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
    If you want to create an open forum at your work place for your employees to write about or post comments on the the conditions of their work environment, and then decide that you want to fire an employee for what he writes about, you had better be prepared for a discussion with representatives from the NLRB.

Now, the bright spot for Google is that given the court ruling that set aside some of Obama's appointments, general Republican obstructionism to all appointments and apparent ignorance of the Trump administration of the need to actually nominate people to open positions, I'm not sure the NLRB is actually still in existence.
    That's an interesting point. I'm guessing this story isn't going to go away any time soon unless there's a settlement.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X