This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by MinnesotaNorthStar View Post
    Just because it's legal doesn't make it right.
    U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
    Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
    I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
    But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
    Originally posted by Doyle Woody
    Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

• Re: Nice Planet 13: This Planet Sucks

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
      Doesn't really fit with the evil corporation narrative that everyone likes though, does it?
      Yeah you are right...United did the right thing here as did the cops.

I love when the wife invokes 9/11...

And again, no one is disputing they didnt have the right to do it. I love how that is the narrative now. What most people are saying is they shouldnt have done it not that couldnt. They chose to, that is on them and the heat they are getting is because of the decision THEY made. If they dont like it, dont make the decision. (you know, personal responsibility and all...like the pilot wife said) Then dont compound it by making yourself look like an *** instead of even fake apologizing.

I know it goes against your beliefs on this, but United/Cops have no one to blame but themselves. I am not going to feel sorry for them just cause they have a right to do what they did. Just because you can, doesnt mean you should.
      Last edited by Handyman; 04-12-2017, 01:42 PM.
      "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
      -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
      -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
      -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
        Yeah you are right...United did the right thing here as did the cops.

I love when the wife invokes 9/11...

And again, no one is disputing they didnt have the right to do it. I love how that is the narrative now. What most people are saying is they shouldnt have done it not that couldnt. They chose to, that is on them and the heat they are getting is because of the decision THEY made. If they dont like it, dont make the decision. (you know, personal responsibility and all...like the pilot wife said) Then dont compound it by making yourself look like an *** instead of even fake apologizing.

I know it goes against your beliefs on this, but United/Cops have no one to blame but themselves. I am not going to feel sorry for them just cause they have a right to do what they did. Just because you can, doesnt mean you should.
        So, what's the alternative?

They ask a passenger to exit the plane. He refuses. Isn't calling the TSA cops the only alternative?

I suppose you can keep raising the price (I might have) but at some point I assume they just have to say let's call the cops.
        That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

• Originally posted by MinnesotaNorthStar View Post
          She lost me when she pulled the 9/11 card. That was 16 years ago, and the security theater provided by the TSA does Jack shiat to prevent such scenarios anyway.

The rest of it simply says what is, not what should be. Just because all the airlines have legal ways to involuntarily bump passengers doesn't make it the preferred option.

Comment

I guess here is the way I look at it. United bumped these people. That's a business decision they had a right to make. Maybe there are better options. Maybe there are worse ones. But the consequences of the decision to bump paying passengers is what they have to live with as business. Airlines deal with that all the time.

But what everyone is outraged about is this guy being dragged off the flight. We're not seeing any videos, or even hearing anything, about the three other passengers who were bumped, asked to leave the plane, and did so at the request of either the airline or the TSA officials.

What we see is a video of the aftermath of a guy deciding to tell the TSA cops to basically go fuk themselves.

Every single one of us have had our own interactions with police or security officers. I'm guessing that pretty much every single one of us responds differently than this guy drug off the plane.

If a cop asks to see my license, I show him my license. If he asks me to get out of the car, I get out of the car. If I'm told by the security officers at the airport to move to a different line, I move to a different line. That's how 99% of us respond.

We each have a choice in those situations. We can either comply with their requests and take up our grievances at another point in time, or we can disobey the request made by someone who has the legal authority to make that request. Those that choose to disobey are frequently the people who get shot, who get arrested, or who get their 15 minutes of Youtube fame looking, frankly, pretty silly.

Now, do some of those people end up getting paid off for their indignity? Sure, some of them do. Some of them even get martyred. But once you start disobeying, don't come to me looking for sympathy.
            That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Disobedience is democracy!
              PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
              Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
              NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                We each have a choice in those situations. We can either comply with their requests and take up our grievances at another point in time, or we can disobey the request made by someone who has the legal authority to make that request. Those that choose to disobey are frequently the people who get shot, who get arrested, or who get their 15 minutes of Youtube fame looking, frankly, pretty silly.

Now, do some of those people end up getting paid off for their indignity? Sure, some of them do. Some of them even get martyred. But once you start disobeying, don't come to me looking for sympathy.
                Based on your posting history I don't think anyone is ever going to come to you looking for sympathy.
                Cornell University
                National Champion 1967, 1970
                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by kepler View Post
                  based on your posting history i don't think anyone is ever going to come to you looking for sympathy.
                  Wait, you know my wife?

Comment

Meanwhile, in another part of the United forest...
                    Cornell University
                    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

I will say this, though. A lot of really funny commercials out there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n463gA0h3aE

http://mashable.com/2017/04/11/funny.../#i7xYDsApGaq8

http://bgr.com/2017/04/11/united-air...-video-kimmel/

Comment

• Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                        I guess here is the way I look at it. United bumped these people. That's a business decision they had a right to make. Maybe there are better options. Maybe there are worse ones. But the consequences of the decision to bump paying passengers is what they have to live with as business. Airlines deal with that all the time.

But what everyone is outraged about is this guy being dragged off the flight. We're not seeing any videos, or even hearing anything, about the three other passengers who were bumped, asked to leave the plane, and did so at the request of either the airline or the TSA officials.

What we see is a video of the aftermath of a guy deciding to tell the TSA cops to basically go fuk themselves.

Every single one of us have had our own interactions with police or security officers. I'm guessing that pretty much every single one of us responds differently than this guy drug off the plane.

If a cop asks to see my license, I show him my license. If he asks me to get out of the car, I get out of the car. If I'm told by the security officers at the airport to move to a different line, I move to a different line. That's how 99% of us respond.

This is why you bump people before they get on the farking plane. The fact they couldn't even get that part right is what led to this.

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                          Obviously, thanks to 9/11, this is needed because we all just want the pilot to get home safely

Free market is doing its job isnt it? I mean people got ****ed and now United is feeling the heat. I was told that was what made America great. (again!) And since we know corporations are people (thanks Supreme Court) and that people need to live with the decisions that they make and take some personal responsibility, United is just getting their just desserts arent they? This whole scenario should be a conservatives wet dream!
                          "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                          -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                          -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                          -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
                            Just because it's legal doesn't make it right.
                            So, what would you do? How do you recover in Louisville?
                            Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
                            Originally posted by Quizmire
                            mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
                            MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
                            MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
                            I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

Originally posted by MinnesotaNorthStar View Post
                              How do you recover in Louisville?
                              Hair of the dog.
                              Cornell University

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                                Obviously, thanks to 9/11, this is needed because we all just want the pilot to get home safely

Free market is doing its job isnt it? I mean people got ****ed and now United is feeling the heat. I was told that was what made America great. (again!) And since we know corporations are people (thanks Supreme Court) and that people need to live with the decisions that they make and take some personal responsibility, United is just getting their just desserts arent they? This whole scenario should be a conservatives wet dream!
                                Mass, coordinated consumer punishment is a fantastic way to force these guys to change, yes.

The same tools that let governments and corporations -- in a word, the rich -- better control us can also be used against them.
                                Cornell University

Comment

Working...
                                X