X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Nice Planet 13: This Planet Sucks

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
    I just found that United story. Not a smart move, United.
    From the video I saw it said that he was a doctor and needed to be where he was going that morning. Unusual that no one stepped up and too the deal. Like the article I read said United should have upped the offer for anyone willing to give up their seat until they found a taker. The bad publicity is going to cost them so much more.
    **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
      Personally I love these situations. I've negotiated more free flights that I can remember due to overbooking. You've got to be flexible, though.
      Then make it a choice: you can be in the at risk group and have a chance to negotiate, or you can just have a f-ckin ticket. I don't fly for fun, I fly when I need to get somewhere, and I am NOT flexible. All I want from these dirtbags is my sh-tty little seat -- not some moronic lottery.

I would pay a premium to be safe in my seat.
      Cornell University
      National Champion 1967, 1970
      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
        Overbooking should be illegal.
        Here's the thing, United never said that it overbooked the flight. United said that they had some employees that they needed to ferry to their destination so they could get to work. Overbooking is when you sell more tickets than seats available. That wasn't the case as the employees never had tickets to any of the seats.

United really screwed the pooch on this one. And United's CEO wrote a response that tried to be too even-handed. He has to protect his company, but in this case protecting the company would have been to not directly protect the flight crew or the four employees who needed a ride.

Add to that, I've already seen at least one response of someone saying they canceled their United flight perks credit card and replaced it with another carrier's card. United isn't just losing the casual consumer, but those would have once been considered "devoted" to the brand.
        "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Kepler is right. F_ck United with a flaming chainsaw.
          Code:
          As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
          College Hockey 6       College Football 0
          BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
          Originally posted by SanTropez
          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
          Originally posted by bigblue_dl
          I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
          Originally posted by Kepler
          When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Here's the thing, United never said that it overbooked the flight. United said that they had some employees that they needed to ferry to their destination so they could get to work. Overbooking is when you sell more tickets than seats available. That wasn't the case as the employees never had tickets to any of the seats.

United really screwed the pooch on this one. And United's CEO wrote a response that tried to be too even-handed. He has to protect his company, but in this case protecting the company would have been to not directly protect the flight crew or the four employees who needed a ride.

Add to that, I've already seen at least one response of someone saying they canceled their United flight perks credit card and replaced it with another carrier's card. United isn't just losing the casual consumer, but those would have once been considered "devoted" to the brand.
            Didn't hear that part. They dragged him out for their own employees? Oh, that's rich. They are so screwed.
            **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
            Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Man, that's even worse. I stand by what I said about overbooking, at the very least I want to opt out of their Shirley Jackson cosplay. And I hope United takes it up the junction so hard their shareholders get the STD.
              Cornell University
              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                Didn't hear that part. They dragged him out for their own employees? Oh, that's rich. They are so screwed.
                Dragged him out after slamming his face against the arm rest causing him to bleed from the mouth for their own employees.
                Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

• Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                  Yes they needed some crew to be in place.
                  Random passengers no way. They would never select a full fare or premium passenger to boot.
                  Delta once offered to take someone off the plane for me because they screwed up- I was diamond and had first at standby but the gate agent was new and forgot me. I was appalled at taking someone off, and they put me in first class on the next flight.

Comment

Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
                    Dragged him out after slamming his face against the arm rest causing him to bleed from the mouth for their own employees.
                    To be fair, and this is the only defensible position United has in this case, once the federal officers were on the scene, what those officers physically did to remove him from the plane is not United's decision. Everything up to that point, tie it all around United's neck like a noose.
                    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

Comment

• Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                      To be fair, and this is the only defensible position United has in this case, once the federal officers were on the scene, what those officers physically did to remove him from the plane is not United's decision. Everything up to that point, tie it all around United's neck like a noose.
                      Those aren't federal officers, they're airport cops. They rank somewhere between "Mall Cop" and "Mayberry PD" on the scale. Getting to jack around an "unruly" passenger was likely their highlight of the year.
                      U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                      Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                      I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                      But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                      Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                      Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
                        Those aren't federal officers, they're airport cops. They rank somewhere between "Mall Cop" and "Mayberry PD" on the scale. Getting to jack around an "unruly" passenger was likely their highlight of the year.
                        Weren't they all federalized with the TSA? Based upon Chicago PD, they're federal employees, at the very least.

On Monday, Chicago Police confirmed they were not involved in the incident and that the officers and security personnel seen in the now viral videos are with the Department of Aviation, a division of the U.S. Department of Transportation.

"He told the police and the United employees he had to be at the hospital in the morning to see patients," Bridges further explained.

Before the flight departed, Bridges said passengers had been told at the gate that the airline was offering $400 and a hotel stay for any volunteer who would take a flight at 3 p.m. the next day. After passengers boarded, however, a crewmember alerted fliers that people would have to give up their seats to United employees who needed to be in Kentucky for work, Bridges told the Courier-Journal.

Even though United upped the offer $800, and the airline announced that the flight wouldn't depart until the crewmembers were situated, no one budged.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
                          It would be perfect if the mall cop was black.

"The White Man sending the Black man to kill the Yellow man to defend the land they stole from the Red man." (Re-purposed from the Vietnam War.)
                          Cornell University

Comment

Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
                            Yes they needed some crew to be in place.
                            Random passengers no way. They would never select a full fare or premium passenger to boot.
                            Delta once offered to take someone off the plane for me because they screwed up- I was diamond and had first at standby but the gate agent was new and forgot me. I was appalled at taking someone off, and they put me in first class on the next flight.
                            Then United should have taken it in the pants with cancellations if they couldn't have a crew in place because of absolute crap planning.

**** United and their strong-arm bull****. If they don't overbook, then charge the dickwads who don't have a valid reason rather than screw over people who pay for their fare and are on the flight.
                            Code:
                            As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                            College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                            BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                            Originally posted by SanTropez
                            May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                            Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                            I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                            Originally posted by Kepler
                            When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                            He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                              Then United should have taken it in the pants with cancellations if they couldn't have a crew in place because of absolute crap planning.

**** United and their strong-arm bull****. If they don't overbook, then charge the dickwads who don't have a valid reason rather than screw over people who pay for their fare and are on the flight.
                              Oh I agree, was just stating why they wanted to get four people off. I have a family member high up in delta ops so I fully understand how these things work.
                              Execution was the issue here. Total colossal failure. Only worse thing would have been if the officer would have grabbed a woman by the *****

Comment

United is not the only airline to overbook. They all do it. That being said, United really screwed the pooch on this one.
                                Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                                Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Working...
                                X