Gender Studies I

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
    **** Iran. Refusing to talk to a female because she won’t wear a headscarf. In nyc

https://***********/amanpour/status/...hSV36r-8rk9Glw
    The "you refusing to bend to my demands is disrespect" is shared by the "no I won't wear a mask to protect your feelings" maga douches too.

I gotta little bit of smoke and a whole lotta wine...

Comment

• I think Magneto was right: find the people targeting your minority group and turn them into horrible goo. As Kep says, "end the right, save the world."

https://***********/esqueer_/status/...vpzl8n5V_VeOJU
      Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
      "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
      Patreon for exclusive writing content
      Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

• I hate that there are smarter and funnier people than I. No, seriously.

I mean, not many, but.
        Cornell University
        National Champion 1967, 1970
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• A little cheer for Miss T.

Cornell University
          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
            A little cheer for Miss T.

I'm honored!
            "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates

Comment

• Sparks HS in Nevada elected a 17 year old trans man as homecoming king.

Comment

• At this point, I'm all in favor of getting rid of gender reveal parties, especially when stuff like this happens.

https://mobile.***********/mattxiv/s...61696828440576

Comment

• Originally posted by MissThundercat View Post
                  At this point, I'm all in favor of getting rid of gender reveal parties, especially when stuff like this happens.

https://mobile.***********/mattxiv/s...61696828440576
                  I still don't understand having a party about what set of genitals a baby will have. I don't want friends and family thinking about or guessing about my child's reproductive organs.

If you want a party, fine, have a baby shower, but this gender reveal stuff is weird.
                  Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
                  wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.

Arenas visited:
                  7 B1G
                  7 CCHA (all except St Thomas)
                  6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU)
                  5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont)
                  5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson)
                  2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT)
                  2 Alaskan

Comment

• Originally posted by wolverineTrumpet View Post

I still don't understand having a party about what set of genitals a baby will have. I don't want friends and family thinking about or guessing about my child's reproductive organs.

If you want a party, fine, have a baby shower, but this gender reveal stuff is weird.
                    hmm. I would guess that for most people if someone says they are having a boy or a girl that their mind does not go to genitals.

Comment

The only consolation is that the woman who came up with the idea deeply regrets it.

Comment

I still don't understand having a party about what set of genitals a baby will have.
                        I say this as someone who despises gender reveal parties and think they are one of the stupidest things created by my generation...

It's perfectly normal and even socially required in many circles to ask expectant parents if they're having a boy or a girl. They are free to not share if they don't want to or don't know. But it isn't sexualizing children or otherwise commenting on their private parts. It's people making small talk.

Comment

• And there are parents who raise their children without declaring a gender for the child. Such parents are typically met with scorn and derision, though I applaud them for attempting something outside the normal.

Comment

• Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post

hmm. I would guess that for most people if someone says they are having a boy or a girl that their mind does not go to genitals.
                            But, what is the difference between a boy or a girl? Why do we cloth or decorate the room differently for an infant based on gender? They are an infant. Why do 'gendered' toy aisles exist? This is the point I want to make. I want children to be treated the same regardless of their reproductive organs. I despise that gender sterotypes and gender roles are put onto children starting from before birth.

Originally posted by MissThundercat View Post
                            And there are parents who raise their children without declaring a gender for the child. Such parents are typically met with scorn and derision, though I applaud them for attempting something outside the normal.
                            I've tried to let my daughter to pick whatever toys and clothes she wants and about half come from the 'boys' section. I only became concerned about this when I started her in daycare, wondering if others will assume she's a boy because she's in 'boy' clothes.
                            Last edited by wolverineTrumpet; 10-03-2022, 10:37 AM.
                            Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
                            wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.

Arenas visited:
                            7 B1G
                            7 CCHA (all except St Thomas)
                            6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU)
                            5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont)
                            5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson)
                            2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT)
                            2 Alaskan

Comment

• We do because of many tens of thousands of years of history and culture.

I'm not really arguing with you that perhaps it's a good idea to rethink all of that for infants, however we know why we do this. Because we always have, and because to many (most?) people, "guys is guys's and girls is girls's" and that's that.
                              I gotta little bit of smoke and a whole lotta wine...

Comment

• Originally posted by Swansong View Post
                                We do because of many tens of thousands of years of history and culture.
                                This is actually not true. Gender has been very fluid across cultures and time periods. There have simply been time periods in which thinking was rigid and frightened, and the 19th and early 20th century was one of those. Add to this the extreme dogmatism of the Abrahamic religions in a certain interpretation is an outlier, not the norm. Even the history of Christianity has been characterized by hemlines in gender fluidity. I can't say if that is true for Judaism and Islam but I wouldn't be surprised.

It's not a linear progression, it's a sine wave. We are emerging from an interval of repression which not only is ending but also which had a beginning.

Last edited by Kepler; 10-03-2022, 12:09 PM.
                                Cornell University

Comment

Working...
                                X