Gender Studies I

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by MinnesotaNorthStar View Post

My company doesn’t do anything regarding pronouns. I would love it if they did though, if only to witness the predictable extreme overreaction of several people.
    I've noticed several people calling it "woke" already.

I'm going to love it when all the ones complaining about "wokeness" are eventually frozen out of society.
    Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
    "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
    Patreon for exclusive writing content
    Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

• At my firm I have seen some folks put their pronouns in their signature line, but it's not expected to do so. However, in the past year, I've been given the additional responsibility of interviewing job candidates and HR explicitly says in the instructions on the interview form not to use gendered pronouns to describe the candidate. That's in addition to the standard stuff about not asking for the details about any military service, which should be obvious.

Comment

• Originally posted by MissThundercat View Post
        I'm going to love it when all the ones complaining about "wokeness" are eventually frozen out of society.
        Official society. If you step off the interstate in red states (and some blue states) half the lower class whites still drop the n word with a snarl. It will be the same with the phobes. This is how the GOP persists.
        Cornell University
        National Champion 1967, 1970
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post

Official society. If you step off the interstate in red states (and some blue states) half the lower class whites still drop the n word with a snarl. It will be the same with the phobes. This is how the GOP persists.
          To those people: if adding pronouns causes society to collapse, maybe society NEEDS to collapse.
          "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates

Comment

• So I've had my pronouns on my badge for two days. No locusts, no plunging the world into darkness, no dogs and cats living together, no human sacrifice, no mass hysteria. There's not even a nuclear missile headed for Calder Plaza in Grand Rapids. Life just goes on.

Huh.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stauber1 View Post
              I'm confused....
              Does Fish have a problem with hetero cis men creeping in the women's room?
              Or with the political fallout of asking for too much?
              Or with men pretending to be trans to gain a competitive edge in athletics?

Hmm...maybe raising all these different objections is just a way to say how he feels about something generally while trying his darndest not to admit it.
              1. Yes.
              2. Yes.
              3. Yes, perhaps, but more to the point of female (oops, my bad) sports being undermined, or even eliminated.

4. No, FCS. (And I won't keplerize that comment via implying that you're "projecting", either.)

Here's some more ammo for my Hate Club: The Warden and I attended a "Pride" festival in the small, Upstate, Trumpie-country hamlet of Little Falls, NY this past Saturday.

Yeah, we just showed-up to see a couple of friends there -and, imagine THIS: those people aren't "cis"!!!- but we endured that hardship, all the rainbow garb, and even large, hirsute fellows in evening gowns...Somehow, we survived it, as did the town itself. Not a single rape nor murder ensued. (And we're talking a County that went 61% for tRump in 2020, OK?)

We'll be fine as a Nation if we learn how to proceed reasonably. Everyone counts, even the ignorant rural folks. They have hearts and legitimate concerns, too. Pragmatism is the way to go right now. Otherwise, we'll be looking at tRumpies winning the mid-terms.
              Last edited by Fishman'81; 06-15-2021, 11:18 PM.

Comment

• Nice try Fish. No one is impressed you attended a Pride event without kvetching. Also it's quite curious you pointed out there were many "cis" in attendance without anyone getting raped, yet still insist gender neutral restrooms cannot exist without immediately becoming dens of impropriety. No one hates you - they pity your sophomoric social awareness development.

Now about that hypothetical moon made of cheese - would you eat it?

Comment

• Is it time to cut my aunt from my life? I still love her and she has been a kind and caring person, but she's also a very impressionable person surrounded by Faux News and Faux conservatives.

My nephew came out as trans to his family earlier this year. For his recent birthday my SIL posted on facebook his name change. Most of the comments were very accepting. My aunt however, wrote "beautiful girls" (my niece & nephew are twins...so it was a joint birthday celebration post). Then in a conversation with my mother, my aunt said she's "praying for [dead name]" and that "God doesn't make mistakes."
                  I'm hoping this is just an initial reaction and when she sees how much happier he is living as a boy that she may learn to accept it.
                  Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
                  wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.

Arenas visited:
                  7 B1G
                  7 CCHA (all except St Thomas)
                  6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU)
                  5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont)
                  5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson)
                  2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT)
                  2 Alaskan

Comment

• Originally posted by wolverineTrumpet View Post
                    Is it time to cut my aunt from my life? I still love her and she has been a kind and caring person, but she's also a very impressionable person surrounded by Faux News and Faux conservatives.

My nephew came out as trans to his family earlier this year. For his recent birthday my SIL posted on facebook his name change. Most of the comments were very accepting. My aunt however, wrote "beautiful girls" (my niece & nephew are twins...so it was a joint birthday celebration post). Then in a conversation with my mother, my aunt said she's "praying for [dead name]" and that "God doesn't make mistakes."
                    I'm hoping this is just an initial reaction and when she sees how much happier he is living as a boy that she may learn to accept it.
                    At some point in a person's life, it becomes difficult-to-impossible to fix their ingrained religious nuttery. As long as your aunt isn't being willfully hostile, I don't think what you've said is a reason to cut her out of your life just yet. You, your mom, and other allies in the family should start by pointing out how happy your nephew is and how well he's doing whenever she derps. If she's clearly alone on her own island of intolerance she should get the message that her derp isn't welcomed or supported, without feeling like it's being forced on her. Combined with all the good things you and your family have to say about your nephew, that might be enough to at least make her question if she is, in fact, in the wrong.

Comment

Is it time to cut my aunt from my life? I still love her and she has been a kind and caring person, but she's also a very impressionable person surrounded by Faux News and Faux conservatives.

Personal experience here.

My aunt has never accepted Amber Marie, the fact I'm not straight, or the fact I have a weak faith at best. I haven't spoken with her in over 4 years and I plan to keep it that way. I've also kept myself out of potentially harmful situations where I'd be called he, that Bob dude, or a confused male.

Comment

If the rest of the family is supportive, I'll 2nd what Fade alluded to... Y'all can probably use peer pressure to get your Aunt to possibly "see the light". Things like quick corrections or "We don't have any family members by that name" if the Aunt is dead-naming your nephew will be needed. But to work everyone needs to stand together.

Your initial comments on your aunt leads me to believe that you do see hope/good in her, so I'd be willing to give close family a chance here. But keep a tight leash here and if the corrections don't work, you can use the fact that you are willing to cut ties as a "nuclear" option. Just be ready to push the button on that if your Aunt doesn't change. And reality is that this is 2021 and if someone isn't willing to change, they aren't "family".
                        It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

Is she a good person who has been rendered an idiot by the Death Cult or a bad person who willingly puts their aggression and cowardice ahead of other people's flourishing and very being?

You likely know the answer from other interactions. I have relatives who watch Fox because they don't know better, and then relatives who watch Fox because it vibrates a string within them. I am guarded around the former and have severed ties with the latter.
                          Cornell University
                          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
                            Re: Gender Studies I

People are often least tolerant of those flaws in other people about which they are most uncomfortable in themselves, you know.....

PS this is gender-neutral, or applies to both genders equally, or however one is supposed to phrase it these days....
                            Surrounding many people are, as a rule, those who are comfortable for them. In the workplace, we move out of our comfort zone and associate with those who may cause us discomfort or irritation. Outside of work, we try to surround ourselves with "comfortable" people with whom we feel comfortable and interesting.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post

Is she a good person who has been rendered an idiot by the Death Cult or a bad person who willingly puts their aggression and cowardice ahead of other people's flourishing and very being?

You likely know the answer from other interactions. I have relatives who watch Fox because they don't know better, and then relatives who watch Fox because it vibrates a string within them. I am guarded around the former and have severed ties with the latter.
                              She's a good person who naively buys into the narratives presented to her. She's the type of person that shares debunked things on social media because she wants to believe it.
                              While immediate family has known about my nephew for a few months, this was the first time extended family found out. I'm hopeful that given time the full extended family will be welcoming.
                              Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
                              wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.

Arenas visited:
                              7 B1G
                              7 CCHA (all except St Thomas)
                              6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU)
                              5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont)
                              5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson)
                              2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT)
                              2 Alaskan

Comment

She's a good person who naively buys into the narratives presented to her. She's the type of person that shares debunked things on social media because she wants to believe it.
                                That sounds like somebody you could deprogram if it's worth your time.

Not all Republicans -- not even all Dumpies -- are Nazis. Some are simply gullible. And because of that it is often as easy to lead them out of the dark forest as it was for the orcs to lead them in.
                                Cornell University

Comment

Working...
                                X