This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by LynahFan View Post

We should probably take this over to the Medical thread, but....

Study Suggests Common Knee Surgery's Effect Is Purely Placebo - Scientific American

There you go - an actual, approved procedure found to be no more effective than a placebo surgery, and yet the procedure is still authorized. So much for "treatments have to be more effective than placebo or they won't be approved."
    Did I ever say that an ineffective procedure should be approved? No. Ineffective procedures have been approved for decades, but that fact doesn't render them effective, and I never made that argument.

Do you follow? Good God.

Comment

• Actually, the only things I find more annoying than Fishy are those who call Wednesday "hump day" and of course, all Sandra Bullock movies
      Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
      "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
      Patreon for exclusive writing content
      Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

• Originally posted by MissThundercat View Post
        Actually, the only things I find more annoying than Fishy are those who call Wednesday "hump day" and of course, all Sandra Bullock movies
        Either you misspelled Julia Roberts or you forgot Gravity.
        Cornell University
        National Champion 1967, 1970
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post

Did I ever say that an ineffective procedure should be approved? No. Ineffective procedures have been approved for decades, but that fact doesn't render them effective, and I never made that argument.

Do you follow? Good God.
          My bad - it was BassAle who said, "No medication will be approved if the placebo group does as well as the drug group." If the placebo group and the drug group both have similar statistically significant improvements over doing nothing, then physicians *ought* to be prescribing placebos, in my opinion. Whatever works, baby.
          If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

• Originally posted by LynahFan View Post

My bad - it was BassAle who said, "No medication will be approved if the placebo group does as well as the drug group." If the placebo group and the drug group both have similar statistically significant improvements over doing nothing, then physicians *ought* to be prescribing placebos, in my opinion. Whatever works, baby.
            what I said is correct. for FDA approval of a drug, the data has to show that it is more effective than the control group (placebo).

I think the placebo affect is probably more pronounced in things like pain where people think they feel better, but it's not quantifiable. In a study of an asthma drug, some patients that got the placebo inhaler claimed to feel better, but did no better on quantitative breathing tests so it was simply a matter of how they perceived their breathing difficulty (which remained unchanged). Also things like blood pressure, where state of mind can have a clear affect on a quantitative measurement.

There are plenty of "over the counter" placebos (vitamins, nutritional supplements, homeopathic remedies). Doctor's don't need to prescribe snake oil.
            Last edited by BassAle; 03-03-2021, 09:34 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by BassAle View Post

what I said is correct. for FDA approval of a drug, the data has to show that it is more effective than the control group (placebo).
              Agree - if the drug and placebo are equally effective and both better than nothing, it is the placebo and not the drug that should be approved.

I think the placebo affect is probably more pronounced in things like pain where people think they feel better, but it's not quantifiable. In a study of an asthma drug, some patients that got the placebo inhaler claimed to feel better, but did no better on quantitative breathing tests so it was simply a matter of how they perceived their breathing difficulty (which remained unchanged). Also things like blood pressure, where state of mind can have a clear affect on a quantitative measurement.
              This makes sense to me - "effective" has to be carefully and precisely defined for each malady that we're trying to cure.

There are plenty of "over the counter" placebos (vitamins, nutritional supplements, homeopathic remedies). Doctor's don't need to prescribe snake oil.
              I didn't say to prescribe snake oil. The point of this line of research is that doctors can and should be honest about what they are prescribing - exactly the oppose of snake oil. "So, BassAle, research has shown that taking a vitamin pill every morning produces a statistically significant improvement for people with your condition, so I recommend that you follow that course of action."
              If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post

Society is more and more an ally. It's a few high profile sh-tburgers and their bacteria-level fan boyz who are the haters, and they are dying off.

The homophobes' and transphobes' grandkids will spit on their graves. One reason they are so pathetic and hate-filled is they can sense already how irrelevant they are.

Nobody remembers segregationists and anti-Semites fondly. And that's what these cretins are the equivalent of.

They are cultural roadkill. Their disease will die with them.
                You need to get out and see America some more because I really don’t think the nation matches your ideas about it. The die-out of such hatred takes long than just a few generations.
                "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

• As a trans woman, and in discussing this with other trans people... none of us asked for a rebranded Potato Head. It wasn't even on our priority list, and if it was, we wouldn't assign it a number because it was so low.
                  The fact Republicans used this to renew attacks against my community is vulgar, though not surprising. Something tells me Republicans know they lost on the LGB aspect of things, so they will grunt, wail, and swing wildly towards the T until soundly defeated. They know they're losing and losing badly on us as it is, and so they lash out.

Until the day they are soundly defeated, it does me no good to dwell on their comments. I know I have lots of Mama Bears and a Metal Girl Alliance with members around the world. I'll sit with them and let them lift me.
                  "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates

Comment

Something tells me Republicans know they lost on the LGB aspect of things, so they will grunt, wail, and swing wildly towards the T until soundly defeated.
                    I mean, yeah, this shouldn't even be a hunch about their plan, this is as sure as anything it's all they have left.

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
                    iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
                    gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
                    Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
                    Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
                    TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
                    DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

• Originally posted by St. Clown View Post

You need to get out and see America some more because I really don’t think the nation matches your ideas about it. The die-out of such hatred takes long than just a few generations.
                      The 10% at the bottom of the silt trap will never change, but they don't matter. The bottom 10% of America (the bottom 20% of conservatives) are exactly as racist, sexist, homophobic, etc. as they ever were or ever will be. They are incapable of learning or growing.

I'm not talking about them, they are just the garbage we have to carry as a society. Until FTL.
                      Cornell University
                      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

As a trans woman, and in discussing this with other trans people... none of us asked for a rebranded Potato Head. It wasn't even on our priority list, and if it was, we wouldn't assign it a number because it was so low.
                        The fact Republicans used this to renew attacks against my community is vulgar, though not surprising. Something tells me Republicans know they lost on the LGB aspect of things, so they will grunt, wail, and swing wildly towards the T until soundly defeated. They know they're losing and losing badly on us as it is, and so they lash out.

Until the day they are soundly defeated, it does me no good to dwell on their comments. I know I have lots of Mama Bears and a Metal Girl Alliance with members around the world. I'll sit with them and let them lift me.
                        I assume whichever multinational owns it looked at Mr. Potatohead sales being zero since 1970 and said, "let's make a noise," so they came up with this as a campaign to get the brand back in the news. Like New Coke, it was never about change it was about tongues wagging.

You have been used by a corporation to goose profits by riling up the dependably reactive moron portion of the population.

In other words, exactly the same strategy the Republican party has used with racism and sexism to do their heists by leveraging the stupidest and most hateful people in America.
                        Cornell University

Comment

• That would be Hasbro. They’re going full ham trying to squeeze every last drop out of everything they can on every IP they’ve got.
                          U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                          Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                          I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                          But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                          Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                          Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post

The 10% at the bottom of the silt trap will never change, but they don't matter. The bottom 10% of America (the bottom 20% of conservatives) are exactly as racist, sexist, homophobic, etc. as they ever were or ever will be. They are incapable of learning or growing.

I'm not talking about them, they are just the garbage we have to carry as a society. Until FTL.
                            30% of the nation’s population make up a majority of the population in many parts of the land. To outright dismiss their actions is to ignore the suffering of those persecuted by them, by those stuck in these situations against their own desires - minors or those without the means to move elsewhere.

That ivory tower suits you well.
                            "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

• Originally posted by St. Clown View Post

30% of the nation’s population make up a majority of the population in many parts of the land. To outright dismiss their actions is to ignore the suffering of those persecuted by them, by those stuck in these situations against their own desires - minors or those without the means to move elsewhere.

That ivory tower suits you well.
                              There's nothing we can do about areas that are dominated by those cretins. It's a federal system of government. It's not "ivory tower." It's the practical recognition that there isn't going to be another Reconstruction. We will never fix Mississippi or Missouri or Kansas or Wyoming. Those people are going to have to move.

People crossed oceans to get here. They can take an interstate.

Cornell University

Comment

• With what money, Kepler?

Comment

Working...
                                X