X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
    No surprise that you’re both picky and wrong about how things are labeled:

https://journals.plos.org/plosone/ar...l.pone.0015591
    Umm, OK, but if a placebo works as well as the med, the med isn't effective. And that isn't contingent on the placebo being dispensed as such. Placebos, by definition, are ineffective.

This is waaaay obvious.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post

Umm, OK, but if a placebo works as well as the med, the med isn't effective. And that isn't contingent on the placebo being dispensed as such. Placebos, by definition, are ineffective.

This is waaaay obvious.
      Very, very wrong. Placebos are often startlingly more effective than doing nothing.

1. Google
      2. Post

in that order.
      If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

• Seems like conservatives are concerned about the masculinity of a potato that stores its eyeballs in its butt.
        Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
        "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
        Patreon for exclusive writing content
        Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

• Let's be honest though. The potato heads were always the original trans toys. Who didn't give mr ph those lips and mrs ph the stache?
          Code:
          As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
          College Hockey 6       College Football 0
          BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
          Originally posted by SanTropez
          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
          Originally posted by bigblue_dl
          I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
          Originally posted by Kepler
          When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Very, very wrong. Placebos are often startlingly more effective than doing nothing.

1. Google
            2. Post

in that order.
            I hope fish doesn’t work in research

Comment

. Placebos, by definition, are ineffective.

This is waaaay obvious.
              No, placebos are by definition inert. The placebo effect (having effective healing properties despite being nothing more than a sugar pill) is 100% real.

Comment

he said
                if a placebo works as well as the med, the med isn't effective
                which is absolutely true. No medication will be approved if the placebo group does as well as the drug group

Comment

• Originally posted by BassAle View Post

he said which is absolutely true. No medication will be approved if the placebo group does as well as the drug group
                  Yes, that part is true enough. But then he went on to say that placebos were ineffective “by definition,” which is where he took a 180 from Correctville.

Comment

Yes, that part is true enough. But then he went on to say that placebos were ineffective “by definition,” which is where he took a 180 from Correctville.
                    Nope... You go ahead and Google how many sugar pills were ever prescribed as an effective treatment for anything, then get back to us on that.

Truly, some subjects might possibly will themselves to live somewhat longer simply by dint of a glimmer of hope, but placebos have never cured Jack, and the placebo-effect (even if it exists) isn't even remotely quantifiable.

Comment

Nope... You go ahead and Google how many sugar pills were ever prescribed as an effective treatment for anything, then get back to us on that.

Truly, some subjects might possibly will themselves to live somewhat longer simply by dint of a glimmer of hope, but placebos have never cured Jack, and the placebo-effect (even if it exists) isn't even remotely quantifiable.
                      Uh, that's not the claim being made about placebos and completely misunderstands their purpose.

Comment

We should probably take this over to the Medical thread, but....

Study Suggests Common Knee Surgery's Effect Is Purely Placebo - Scientific American

There you go - an actual, approved procedure found to be no more effective than a placebo surgery, and yet the procedure is still authorized. So much for "treatments have to be more effective than placebo or they won't be approved."

There's no such thing as "the" placebo effect that can be quantified. You may as well ask what "the" effectiveness of medication is. That's too broad of a question to answer. But when you ask things like, "what's the effectiveness of this placebo relative to that procedure applied to these types of patients at a particular stage of disease," then you can make some progress.

Comment

• The other day I was starting to feel down about Rand, MTG, and more, but I remembered two things:

Rand, MTG, and those opposed to my existence are meat, and in the words of Master Shake, "I was not put on this Earth to listen to meat."

I remembered all my adopted Mamas and let them lift me.
                          "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates

Comment

You’d be surprised. Look up “hysteria” and it’s (very effective) treatment.
                            Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
                            USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

• Sunshine is the best disinfectant, and I'm wagering this Lucero character comes from a deeply red district. This probably doesn't stand a chance in hell of passing, but he's trying to throw red meat to his base. Minnesota friends, how accurate is my assessment?

https://www.lgbtqnation.com/2021/03/...a-bill-passes/

Comment

• Jfc that guy is a cruel lunatic.

his district is pretty rural but yeah, it won’t go anywhere since the twin cities have enough non loonies

Comment

Working...
                                X