Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gender Studies I

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by BassAle View Post

    I hope everyone realizes that's a fake story... but you never know
    Listen, you believe what you want to believe, I'll believe what I want to believe.
    That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by SJHovey View Post

      Listen, you believe what you want to believe, I'll believe what I want to believe.
      there is certainly truth to the placebo effect, so as long as you believe...

      Comment


      • Originally posted by BassAle View Post

        there is certainly truth to the placebo effect, so as long as you believe...
        I've actually heard of research studies that isolated a placebo effect even when people were explicitly told it was a placebo and apparently believed that it was a placebo. Brains are funny.
        If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

        Comment


        • Originally posted by BassAle View Post

          there is certainly truth to the placebo effect, so as long as you believe...
          Can't hurt, anyway.
          Cornell University
          National Champion 1967, 1970
          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

          Comment


          • Originally posted by LynahFan View Post

            I've actually heard of research studies that isolated a placebo effect even when people were explicitly told it was a placebo and apparently believed that it was a placebo. Brains are funny.
            Obecalp is always the first-line generic Rx for hypochondria.

            Comment


            • Every band playing small clubs should learn The Modern Lovers' "The Mixer." It has to be the most sexually tense / relaxing song ever written for a bar music scene. It is being 20 and horny, in a song.
              Cornell University
              National Champion 1967, 1970
              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

              Comment


              • I was worried

                https://mobile.twitter.com/atrupar/s...49282835996672

                Comment


                • Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
                  I found the amount of people losing their **** over a toy potato amusing. You can't even put bacon bits on it.
                  Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
                  Originally posted by Quizmire
                  mns, this is why i love you.

                  Originally posted by Markt
                  MNS - forking genius.

                  Originally posted by asterisk hat
                  MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

                  Originally posted by hockeybando
                  I am a fan of MNS.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by LynahFan View Post

                    I've actually heard of research studies that isolated a placebo effect even when people were explicitly told it was a placebo and apparently believed that it was a placebo. Brains are funny.
                    Nothing qualifies as a "placebo" if the subject is told that he/she just took a sugar-pill in a clinical trial.

                    Having said that, I certainly believe in the placebo-effect among some people, if it's actually administered correctly.

                    (As in, a double-blind study.)
                    Last edited by Fishman'81; 02-25-2021, 10:17 PM.

                    Comment


                    • Between Rand, MTG, this thread, etc, it would be nice if society would feel, I don't know, neutral about me and my community.
                      Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                      "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                      Patreon for exclusive writing content
                      Adventures With Amber Marie

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by MissThundercat View Post
                        Between Rand, MTG, this thread, etc, it would be nice if society would feel, I don't know, neutral about me and my community.
                        Society is more and more an ally. It's a few high profile sh-tburgers and their bacteria-level fan boyz who are the haters, and they are dying off.

                        The homophobes' and transphobes' grandkids will spit on their graves. One reason they are so pathetic and hate-filled is they can sense already how irrelevant they are.

                        Nobody remembers segregationists and anti-Semites fondly. And that's what these cretins are the equivalent of.

                        They are cultural roadkill. Their disease will die with them.
                        Last edited by Kepler; 02-26-2021, 06:21 PM.
                        Cornell University
                        National Champion 1967, 1970
                        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by MissThundercat View Post
                          Between Rand, MTG, this thread, etc, it would be nice if society would feel, I don't know, neutral about me and my community.
                          Good news from The House today, anyway, and I predict the bill will pass through the Senate with at least a bit of Republican support.
                          Last edited by Fishman'81; 02-26-2021, 09:59 PM.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by Kepler View Post

                            Society is more and more an ally. It's a few high profile sh-tburgers and their bacteria-level fan boyz who are the haters, and they are dying off.

                            The homophobes' and transphobes' grandkids will spit on their graves. One reason they are so pathetic and hate-filled is they can sense already how irrelevant they are.

                            Nobody remembers segregationists and anti-Semites fondly. And that's what these cretins are the equivalent of.

                            They are cultural roadkill. Their disease will die with them.
                            Today, I remember with Rand, MTG and so on:

                            I was not put on this Earth to listen to meat.
                            Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                            "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                            Patreon for exclusive writing content
                            Adventures With Amber Marie

                            Comment


                            • We really didn't need a repackaged Potato Head. We're here for fair and equal access to employment and housing, for equal access to sports, and so on...
                              Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                              "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                              Patreon for exclusive writing content
                              Adventures With Amber Marie

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post

                                Nothing qualifies as a "placebo" if the subject is told that he/she just took a sugar-pill in a clinical trial.

                                Having said that, I certainly believe in the placebo-effect among some people, if it's actually administered correctly.

                                (As in, a double-blind study.)
                                No surprise that you’re both picky and wrong about how things are labeled:

                                https://journals.plos.org/plosone/ar...l.pone.0015591
                                If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X