Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gender Studies I

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by Kepler View Post

    This is actually not true. Gender has been very fluid across cultures and time periods. There have simply been time periods in which thinking was rigid and dogmatic, and the 19th and early 20th century was one of those.

    This is not a linear progression, it's a sine wave.
    Fine, but it's still longer than the last couple of hundred years, and doesn't really change my point. We do this stupid "gender reveal" **** because gender is extremely important to most cultures today (and for at least the past several hundred years).
    I gotta little bit of smoke and a whole lotta wine...

    Comment


    • Gender reveals aren't about the baby or its gender. They are "look at me!" for the parents. They are pathetic, thirsty people seeking external validation and praise.

      Cornell University
      National Champion 1967, 1970
      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

      Comment


      • Originally posted by Kepler View Post
        Gender reveals aren't about the baby or its gender. They are "look at me!" for the parents. They are pathetic, thirsty people seeking external validation and praise.
        Absolutely, and fuck anyone who hosts or attends them.
        I gotta little bit of smoke and a whole lotta wine...

        Comment


        • Scott Adams is still really butthurt

          https://twitter.com/nathantbernard/s...3gnrzSQ6GwbbQw

          Comment


          • Geezus, y'all some harsh critics with gender reveal parties.

            My wife had a gender reveal party just for me for our first child. I came home from work and opened up a "present" with the horribly-sexist-business-created-stupid-fucking-a**hats-who-made-colors-matter-in-relation-to-sex corresponding color inside. I genuinely enjoyed it. I wanted a girl first, and pure chance gave me what I desired. I hope to play a small role in shaping her into someone even a fraction as magnificent as her namesake (Eleanor Roosevelt). All of that said, Eleanor is free to rename herself Frederick, and dance frequently at the local strip club as a trans man, and I will support him/they 100%, as long as him/they is happy and able to live a healthy, productive life with his/their choice(s). Same with my son.

            Comment


            • I think there's a Pacific Ocean sized difference between "husband, it's a boy!" and what we're talking about.

              Any news that comes along during pregnancy that isn't bad news is exciting and should be exciting! But there's an enormous gulf between what you described and dumping potentially toxic dye into a water supply, which is what prompted all this.
              I gotta little bit of smoke and a whole lotta wine...

              Comment


              • Also, the El Dorado wildfire was the result of a gender reveal party gone wrong. The family was charged with several crimes, including involuntary manslaughter.

                https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...ldfire-charged

                Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                Patreon for exclusive writing content
                Adventures With Amber Marie

                Comment


                • Originally posted by psych View Post
                  Geezus, y'all some harsh critics with gender reveal parties.

                  My wife had a gender reveal party just for me for our first child. I came home from work and opened up a "present" with the horribly-sexist-business-created-stupid-fucking-a**hats-who-made-colors-matter-in-relation-to-sex corresponding color inside. I genuinely enjoyed it. I wanted a girl first, and pure chance gave me what I desired. I hope to play a small role in shaping her into someone even a fraction as magnificent as her namesake (Eleanor Roosevelt). All of that said, Eleanor is free to rename herself Frederick, and dance frequently at the local strip club as a trans man, and I will support him/they 100%, as long as him/they is happy and able to live a healthy, productive life with his/their choice(s). Same with my son.
                  This isn't relevant. The parents can do whatever they want with or to each other during the Alien parasite stage of their screaming vortex of vomit and poop.



                  But a gender reveal party is when you drag a bunch of people not yet smart enough to abandon you as friends to your house to brag about your ability to do what pigs and weasels do every day without fuss.


                  Last edited by Kepler; 10-03-2022, 09:31 PM.
                  Cornell University
                  National Champion 1967, 1970
                  ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                  Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

                  Comment


                  • Obviously, the people with the fireworks and the blue dye are idiots - beyond that, people having a few friends and family over to tell them if they are having a boy or a girl seems like it would be pretty low on the list of things to be outraged over.

                    i agree the overboard theatrics in doing so are dumb.
                    Last edited by ericredaxe; 10-04-2022, 08:26 AM.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post
                      Obviously, the people with the fireworks and the blue dye are idiots - beyond that, people having a few friends and family over to tell them if they are having a boy or a girl seems like it would be pretty low on the list of things to be outraged over.

                      i agree the overboard theatrics in doing so are dumb.
                      People need to remember that in Kepler’s world, “friends” are people you can count on for a favor, but you have to mark it down in the ledger as a loan.
                      That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                        People need to remember that in Kepler’s world, “friends” are people you can count on for a favor, but you have to mark it down in the ledger as a loan.
                        You seem to have confused me with a "fiscal conservative."

                        My liberal heart allows everyone in with no strings.

                        If a farmer needs to prop his brood sow up on a saw horse so his neighbor-kin Cletus can fondle its udders and ask Jesus whether it's gonna be a litter of cannon fodder or strippers, that's A-OK with me. He's not going to put it on social media anyway unless you count the bulletin board at the Klan klubhouse.
                        Cornell University
                        National Champion 1967, 1970
                        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

                        Comment


                        • Before these abominations unto our Lord were released into the general consciousness, it used to be:

                          A: Hey Sally.
                          B. Hi Jill.
                          A: What's new?
                          B: I'm pregnant.
                          A: Awesome! Is it a boy or a girl?
                          B: It's a girl!

                          And there was nothing wrong with that.
                          Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                          "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                          Patreon for exclusive writing content
                          Adventures With Amber Marie

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by Kepler View Post

                            This isn't relevant. The parents can do whatever they want with or to each other during the Alien parasite stage of their screaming vortex of vomit and poop.



                            But a gender reveal party is when you drag a bunch of people not yet smart enough to abandon you as friends to your house to brag about your ability to do what pigs and weasels do every day without fuss.

                            I guess I took your original posts as anyone who celebrated the sex of their child before birth was likely a dolt who believed in Adam and Eve starting the whole human shebang. If you're merely giving a couple middle fingers to people who over-the-top celebrate, I won't stop you.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post
                              Obviously, the people with the fireworks and the blue dye are idiots - beyond that, people having a few friends and family over to tell them if they are having a boy or a girl seems like it would be pretty low on the list of things to be outraged over.

                              i agree the overboard theatrics in doing so are dumb.
                              It's a symptom of an underlying issue that people now throw parties for every little thing, partly out of greed and partly because it's the thing to dofor some ungodly reason.

                              We lived in a very stepford-esque suburb of Des Moines for about 8 years. To the point I was half the diversity in the neighborhood because I had dark hair and hazel eyes. You couldn't just go have a beer with the neighbors. It had to be planned to the nth degree with a theme, and signature drinks, and half the neighborhood invited, and party games, etc.

                              We like our college town far more even though it's twice as long a commute for me. It's just lower key.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by psych View Post

                                I guess I took your original posts as anyone who celebrated the sex of their child before birth was likely a dolt who believed in Adam and Eve starting the whole human shebang. If you're merely giving a couple middle fingers to people who over-the-top celebrate, I won't stop you.
                                I don't care how parents fuck their child up in the privacy of their own home. It's their property, like a toaster that costs a million dollars and only makes sh-t.
                                Cornell University
                                National Champion 1967, 1970
                                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X