X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• -15 tonight in the North Country.
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Temp dropped 41 degrees from 6am yesterday(32) to 6am today(-9).
      A bad cause requires many words.

Comment

• Thread title win. MSP has a storm comin’.
        the state of hockey is good

Comment

• Originally posted by state of hockey View Post
          Thread title win. MSP has a storm comin’.
          They're being awful cagey about estimates. I've seen some very odd predictions. 8"+, "a month's worth", and "significant snow event"

My personal favorite is "a month's worth of snow." That's about as useful as "a cake's worth of flour."

Edit: some of the longer range numerical models have it as upwards of 18" over the next 84 hours. Which doesn't cover the entire storm.
          Code:
          As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
          College Hockey 6       College Football 0
          BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
          Originally posted by SanTropez
          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
          Originally posted by bigblue_dl
          I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
          Originally posted by Kepler
          When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post

They're being awful cagey about estimates. I've seen some very odd predictions. 8"+, "a month's worth", and "significant snow event"

My personal favorite is "a month's worth of snow." That's about as useful as "a cake's worth of flour."

Edit: some of the longer range numerical models have it as upwards of 18" over the next 84 hours. Which doesn't cover the entire storm.
            Yeah, most I’m seeing are saying something in the realm of two feet during the work week.
            the state of hockey is good

Comment

• Originally posted by state of hockey View Post

Yeah, most I’m seeing are saying something in the realm of two feet during the work week.
              And predictably they are going to end up way off...
              "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
              -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
              -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
              -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• A couple of close friends are cross country skiers who do the Birkie each year. They’ve had almost no snow locally this year, so they’ve had to drive a couple hours to train. Now we finally get a foot of snow on the day of the event. I don’t know what they are getting up there.

Comment

• We got 4, about half of the first night prediction.
                  "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                  -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                  -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                  -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• This has been a very disappointing blizzard.
                    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

• Originally posted by Handyman View Post

And predictably they are going to end up way off...
                      Wrong. Wrong wrong. Wrong. By the end of this we'll have had 18". Which is smack dab in the center of the range that was given Sunday.
                      Code:
                      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post

Wrong. Wrong wrong. Wrong. By the end of this we'll have had 18". Which is smack dab in the center of the range that was given Sunday.
                        Maybe you will...we won't. And stop pretending they weren't fear mongering way worse than that.

You should see some of the NWS models...crazy!
                        -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Maybe you will...we won't. And stop pretending they weren't fear mongering way worse than that.

You should see some of the NWS models...crazy!
                          yeah, they don't give you a personalized street to street forecast. They said the Twin Cities.

They weren't fear mongering. They were warning people to be prepared. Anything approaching two feet is a massive event in Minnesota. Especially with these winds. From the beginning they've been saying 12-24". I even said they were being cagey.

Everyone is acting like management (in reverse) when you give them a ballpark budget estimate.
                          "How much?"
                          "$50-$75 million plus or minus 50%"
                          six months passes
                          "Ok, we've refined our budget. Going to be 80 million plus or minus ten percent"
                          "You said it was going to be $50 million"
                          "no, I didn't"
                          Code:

Comment

• I don't care that they (the NWS) were wrong its a guessing game at best and a tiny shift in the wind can screw everything up. I just wish they acknowledged the truth more and admitted they were off and spend time explaining why.

Local news though fear mongers and you know it. The Goof on the Roof has been doing it since he was at KARE11. They know Minnesotans care about the weather above all else so they put their thumbs on the scales.
                            -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• They weren't wrong. I don't know how to say this any clearer. They said 12-24" and that's exactly what we're going to get.
                              Code:

Comment

Local news though fear mongers and you know it. The Goof on the Roof has been doing it since he was at KARE11. They know Minnesotans care about the weather above all else so they put their thumbs on the scales.
                                Local news is always fear mongering, whether it's The Big Storm or moral panic. What annoys me is the Weather Channel got into the same game. They are supposed to be professionals.
                                Cornell University
                                National Champion 1967, 1970
                                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Working...
                                X