Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Online Shopping Discrimination?

From CBS Miami:

... the price you see can be different than what other people see. The type of computer you use, your online search history, even your zip code have all been used by online retailers to determine what price you pay.

In a study conducted by researchers at Northeastern University in Boston, nine out of 16 online retailers and travel websites tested showed different prices or difference results for the same searches.
    http://miami.cbslocal.com/2016/11/14...iscrimination/
    The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Re: Online Shopping Discrimination?

OK, it'll be completely unscientific, but anyone else want to test the theory here?

I'd say we'd need to compare:
    - item (details matter)
    - search platform (smart phone, tablet, computer)
    - time of day of search <-- that's one I'm interested in ... I've wondered
    - ZIP Code
    - search results
    The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

I could get in on this. Considering that I have 3 PCs at home and an iPad, could open an incognito window in multiple browsers (Chrome, Firefox and Edge) and a normal window on each, it could prove useful to the project. Even my phone could get in on some of the action.
      "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Work laptop (MIE and Chrome); home laptop (MIE and Chrome); new iPad (Safari); old iPad (Safari); old netbook; a Surface; and the phone.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

I have both Chrome and Safari on my phone and iPad.
          "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

Comment

I believe I remember hearing that being "incognito" doesnt actually help this much.

I also dont find any of this that controversial so...
            "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
            -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
            -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
            -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
              I believe I remember hearing that being "incognito" doesnt actually help this much.

I also dont find any of this that controversial so...
              I would say it's more interesting than controversial. Every retailer tries to capture as much revenue as possible, using micro versions of monopolistic competition. Chain stores like Target, where I've been in the downtown Minneapolis location a number of times, as well as both Apple Valley stores, will see either product availability or straight up pricing differences. Usually the Minneapolis location is more expensive, but that's not been true 100% of the time. This isn't any different in concept, only in application and how we are all able to test the concept and discuss amongst ourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                I would say it's more interesting than controversial. Every retailer tries to capture as much revenue as possible, using micro versions of monopolistic competition. Chain stores like Target, where I've been in the downtown Minneapolis location a number of times, as well as both Apple Valley stores, will see either product availability or straight up pricing differences. Usually the Minneapolis location is more expensive, but that's not been true 100% of the time. This isn't any different in concept, only in application and how we are all able to test the concept and discuss amongst ourselves.
                Right...I guess I just dont find it very newsworthy. (people are mad about this cause they like getting mad ) It just seems weird that people care that stores do on the macro level what they have been doing on the micro level for years. That is smart business...
                "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Handy: Consider this more like the "cooking" thread than a news thread if that helps. --> What "recipes" are working for you?

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Oh I am interested to see the results (I swear I read about this a month or so ago) I am more pre-empting someone coming in here whining "BUT DIZ IZNT FAIR!!1!!!!"
                    -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                      ... "BUT DIZ IZNT FAIR!!1!!!!"
                      See also: life

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Not quite on point, since it is physical store not online, ....

from week to week, it actually makes sense to purchase different unit sizes. Today they had toilet bowl cleaner shrink-wrapped in a two-pack for $4.79; or they also had a special sale on stand-alone bottles, 2 for $4.00. Milk was $4.99 per gallon but half-gallons were on sale today only for $2.29 each.

However, I infer from these odd situations that it might have as much to do with inventory control as it does with maximizing profit per item sold, as the turnover rate is also a key component as we've all learned from WalMart.
                        "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
                          Not quite on point, since it is physical store not online, ....

from week to week, it actually makes sense to purchase different unit sizes. Today they had toilet bowl cleaner shrink-wrapped in a two-pack for $4.79; or they also had a special sale on stand-alone bottles, 2 for $4.00. Milk was $4.99 per gallon but half-gallons were on sale today only for $2.29 each.

However, I infer from these odd situations that it might have as much to do with inventory control as it does with maximizing profit per item sold, as the turnover rate is also a key component as we've all learned from WalMart.
                          What I've learned here is that milk is really expensive out east.

Comment

I could help. Sure you'll get good data from me.
                            U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                            Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                            I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                            But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                            Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                            Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

I know that Old Chicago World Beer Tour/Rewards Members don't get the same emails for promos and such. We're thinking it has to do when our cards are scanned (weekday, weekend), how often we go, etc. There are 6-8 people that I know personally that have talked about this. We've all gotten different emails, different promos, etc.
                              Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                              Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Working...
                              X