Westworld (WITH SPOILERS!!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Westworld (WITH SPOILERS!!)

I don't have any spoilers to post, but I agree with Shirtless that we could use a Westworld thread where we are free to discuss episodes without ruining it for people who haven't seen all the episodes.

I do have a non-spoiler related questions. Has anyone read the book? If so, how does the current series compare in terms of the story?

I saw the early 70's movie, but that was years ago and is night and day compared to this series. Just wondering if the book is worth a read.
    That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Re: Westworld (WITH SPOILERS!!)

So now that we know Bernard is a bot (wouldn't call him a Host per se), and that Ford has been manipulating (some) things from the very start, how far can they take this? Will we see Elsie (last seen investigating the satellite signal) and Theresa (last seen bleeding out from her head onto a wall) show up as bots to cover their disappearances/assumed murders? I'm willing to bet that the Host being built during Theresa's murder is her own replacement.
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

I'm still waiting for the reveal that William is the MIB and that whole thing is a different timeline from 30+ years ago.
      Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
        I'm still waiting for the reveal that William is the MIB and that whole thing is a different timeline from 30+ years ago.
        I don't think that's the case at all. The way William treats Dolores is so very different than the way the MIB treats her. While William could change in character over the years, MIB's treatment of her just doesn't jive. For William to change like that, it would be akin to some sort of growing hatred of her and the park as a whole. The MIB enjoys the park, doesn't want to leave, but he shows it in so many different ways than William does. If anything, the MIB reminds me more of an older Logan (Williams BIL-to-be, assuming I got the name right).
        "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
          I don't think that's the case at all. The way William treats Dolores is so very different than the way the MIB treats her. While William could change in character over the years, MIB's treatment of her just doesn't jive. For William to change like that, it would be akin to some sort of growing hatred of her and the park as a whole. The MIB enjoys the park, doesn't want to leave, but he shows it in so many different ways than William does. If anything, the MIB reminds me more of an older Logan (Williams BIL-to-be, assuming I got the name right).
          I keep going back to William's first appearance on the show, when he has to go through and pick his outfit. He is lead into the hat room and told he needs to pick between a white hat and a black hat. He chooses the white, of course. Somewhere we have to come back to that.
          That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
            I keep going back to William's first appearance on the show, when he has to go through and pick his outfit. He is lead into the hat room and told he needs to pick between a white hat and a black hat. He chooses the white, of course. Somewhere we have to come back to that.
            Granted I agree with some of what St. Clown says about the last episode adding more questions. But I'm definitely convinced the William timeline is occurring when the MIB claims he started going to the park. It's possible that William isn't the MIB, but it still seems like he'll get there. He has changed so much already, 30+ years of going and interacting with these people can make someone awfully jaded. I think whatever company he's marrying into is what has given him a chance to be such a powerful man that people would thank him for his efforts in the real world.
            Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Granted I agree with some of what St. Clown says about the last episode adding more questions. But I'm definitely convinced the William timeline is occurring when the MIB claims he started going to the park. It's possible that William isn't the MIB, but it still seems like he'll get there. He has changed so much already, 30+ years of going and interacting with these people can make someone awfully jaded. I think whatever company he's marrying into is what has given him a chance to be such a powerful man that people would thank him for his efforts in the real world.
              William is MIB 30 years earlier, I am completely convinced. Or Logan is, I still think that is possible. They're definitely 30 years before the "current" time.

Also, if we're thinking that Theresa's replacement was being made by Ford in his secret lab, that leads to the question, did he do the same thing with Arnold? If so, who is Arnold? Bernard?
              Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                William is MIB 30 years earlier, I am completely convinced. Or Logan is, I still think that is possible. They're definitely 30 years before the "current" time.

Also, if we're thinking that Theresa's replacement was being made by Ford in his secret lab, that leads to the question, did he do the same thing with Arnold? If so, who is Arnold? Bernard?
                If he did the same thing to Arnold, I would wager that he turned him into the narrative writer who got drunk at the on-site resort. It would be some sort of exacting revenge on the man, keeping him in a position of power yet still be a person of great consternation to Arnold, for a reason we can guess at now but not having yet been given the full account.

It may yet turn out that Ford himself is a bot, a living legacy of sorts to himself, with his bodied buried somewhere in the park. (Wild, wild speculation on that piece there.)

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                  If he did the same thing to Arnold, I would wager that he turned him into the narrative writer who got drunk at the on-site resort. It would be some sort of exacting revenge on the man, keeping him in a position of power yet still be a person of great consternation to Arnold, for a reason we can guess at now but not having yet been given the full account.

It may yet turn out that Ford himself is a bot, a living legacy of sorts to himself, with his bodied buried somewhere in the park. (Wild, wild speculation on that piece there.)
                  I think Ford being a bot makes plenty of sense on so many levels, especially the ease at which he controls so many of them with just his words. That seems nearly impossible without some physiological connection to them...

Comment

I think Ford being a bot makes plenty of sense on so many levels, especially the ease at which he controls so many of them with just his words. That seems nearly impossible without some physiological connection to them...
                    At this point, I think it more likely that everybody except for Ford is a host (don't like "bot") than that he is a host himself. He might be the only person, pulling everyone's strings.
                    Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                      At this point, I think it more likely that everybody except for Ford is a host (don't like "bot") than that he is a host himself. He might be the only person, pulling everyone's strings.
                      We've seen pictures of Ford as a younger man, so we know he is aging. Plus the "Ford as a young boy" bot living in the cabin means we'd have two Ford bots if the old man is also a bot.

We also know certain characters are human since they couldn't be killed when shot.

Comment

I will subscribe, but I probably won't read until I'm caught up. I want to discuss but I'm not going in a thread that has spoilers... :-/
                        Code:
                        As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                        College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                        BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                        Originally posted by SanTropez
                        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                        Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                        I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                        Originally posted by Kepler
                        When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Regarding the challenge that Bernard couldn't have worked at WW in his current form for 30 years without drawing the attention of another human thereby suggesting there are no humans working at WW: It wouldn't be that outrageous for "Bernard" to have been at WW in his current aged state for 30 years without being noticed by other humans. How many people have you worked with for 30 straight years? Hell 10+ years?

William might not be the MIB - it could be Logan.

The 2 timelines theory still remains unchallenged although it would be a great 'twist' if it ends up being untrue with how many people see it as a probability.

From the moment of, "What door?" until the very end of the episode was very chilling and masterfully done. Hopkins has still got it and then some.

Did anyone notice Bernard looking at a photo that appeared as though it should have 3 people in it - young Ford on the left, his father in the middle and _____ missing person in the blank space on the right? Suggesting Bernard is Arnold in bot form and programmed not to be aware of his former self.
                          Last edited by Slap Shot; 11-15-2016, 05:43 PM.

Comment

btw dx asked about the "steam shovels" from EP 4 - Could that be the digging out of the maze? I don't recall if that was happening right there in full view of anyone that would be at the restaurant or if Ford had taken Theresa somewhere further out into the park, but it came across my mind as a theory. Even if it was out of sight to anyone else I doubt it's the maze (if one exists) because one I doubt Ford would reveal it and two I think it would already have had to have been completed at that moment since so many characters had already started seeking it out.
                            Last edited by Slap Shot; 11-15-2016, 06:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                              btw dx asked about the "steam shovels" from EP 4 - Could that be the digging out of the maze? I don't recall if that was happening right there in full view of anyone that would be at the restaurant or if Ford had taken Theresa somewhere further out into the park, but it came across my mind as a theory. Even if it was out of sight to anyone else I doubt it's the maze (if one exists) because one I doubt Ford would reveal it and two I think it would already have had to have been completed at that moment since so many characters had already started seeking it out.
                              It is not the maze. The maze was Arnold's creation. The steam shovel work is due to Fords new narrative, which, at this point, we have very little info.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Working...
                              X