Tennis anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Tennis anyone?

So how many grand slam titles does Fed win this year? If Nadal's knees act up could he win the French again? Is this the year he wins all four? After watching him dismantle Murray I am not sure he can be beat this year.
    Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
      So how many grand slam titles does Fed win this year? If Nadal's knees act up could he win the French again? Is this the year he wins all four? After watching him dismantle Murray I am not sure he can be beat this year.
      French and U.S. Open are where I can see him having trouble. French is where some random Spanish player can get hot and run the table.

U.S. Open he's susceptible because it's the last one of the year and other top players rise up for that one.
      R.I.P. NASC/MCLA Mohawks Hockey

Comment

The French Open gets underway on 23 May. The top seeds figure to be Federer and Serena. Matches will be aired on ESPN and NBC, with bonus coverage on the Tennis Channel. People who have DirecTV will be able to enjoy the French Open Experience for free on channels 701-707.

Comment

Nadal won Monte Carlo, Rome, and Madrid -- all three 1000-level clay court tournaments that lead up to Roland Garros. I can't come up with a perfect mainstream-sport comparison, but even taking into account the Soderling loss last year, if he's healthy, I think Nadal losing at the French this year would be like Tyson losing to Buster Douglas. He is a million times better on clay than everyone but Federer, and he seems to own Federer anyway.

There are some other very good clay-courters out there, but they all seem to fold the moment Nadal is across the net from them. And to be fair, Nadal is amazing on the surface.

Comment

Originally posted by Jason A View Post
            Nadal won Monte Carlo, Rome, and Madrid -- all three 1000-level clay court tournaments that lead up to Roland Garros. I can't come up with a perfect mainstream-sport comparison, but even taking into account the Soderling loss last year, if he's healthy, I think Nadal losing at the French this year would be like Tyson losing to Buster Douglas. He is a million times better on clay than everyone but Federer, and he seems to own Federer anyway.

There are some other very good clay-courters out there, but they all seem to fold the moment Nadal is across the net from them. And to be fair, Nadal is amazing on the surface.
            I just hope A-Rod makes it to the second week (and we get some close-ups of his lovely wife).

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
              I just hope A-Rod makes it to the second week (and we get some close-ups of his lovely wife).
              He has a pretty tough clay court draw: http://www.rolandgarros.com/en_FR/sc...s/ms/r1s3.html

John Isner, ranked #17, IMO has the best chance to be the last American standing, with a much easier draw.

Comment

First big upset is #10 Victoria Azarenka losing to Gisela Dulko, 6-1, 6-2.

Comment

Tomorrow promises to be a big day. Both #1 seeds, plus Wozniacki and Monfils take to the primary court. The other big court has the high-flying Serbs, #3M Djokovic and #4W Jankovic. Court #1 has Ana Ivanovic in the third match, court #2 has #5W Dementieva and court 8 has Melanie Oudin in its first match (5AM ET).

Comment

We're either about to witness a stunning upset or an unreal comeback. An unranked Frenchman leads #4M Andy Murray 2 sets to love and hasn't been broken yet. The crowd's really getting into it. The match is live on The Tennis Channel and DTV channel 704.

Comment

Here comes Murray...he won the third set 6-4 and is up a break in the fourth.

Edit: 5th set now.
                      Last edited by Priceless; 05-24-2010, 12:18 PM.

Comment

And Murray breaks Gasquet to lead 3-1...looks like the unreal comeback is going to happen.

Edit: Murray takes the 5th set, 6-1.

Gasquet was cramping up near the end and it was over. He played great for two and a half hours, but that wasn't enough to win 3 sets.
                        Last edited by Priceless; 05-24-2010, 12:46 PM.

Comment

Didn't this exact same thing happen two years ago at Wimbledon? Gasquet is one of the softest players on the tour.

Of course, I led 6-3, 5-4 and had two match points tonight and managed to lose the second set in a tiebreaker, then lost the tiebreaker we played in lieu of a third set. So I guess I'm pretty soft too.

Comment

Day Three will feature #6M Andy Roddick in match #2 on the first primary court and #12W Maria Sharapova in the final match on the second primary court. Maria will be preceded by #7M Verdasco, #9W Safina and #2M Nadal. The Williams sisters begin their doubles play in the third match on court 2. The final match on court 8 has the doubles team of Daniela Hantuchova/Caroline Wozniacki.

Comment

Querrey crumbles in yet another Grand Slam; Roddick's in trouble, down two sets to one.

Comment

Roddick survives in 5 sets; Safina (a finalist last year) is gone in round one.

Nadal looks sharp so far and will probably easily win this match in straights.

Comment

Working...
                                X