Tennis anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Tennis anyone?

Halep was down 3-5 in the first set but rallied to win 10 straight points to take a 6-5 lead and was two points from the set herself, but Muguruza came back and won four straight points to force a tiebreaker. It was a marathon that went back and forth before Muguruza finally won 10-8.

For reasons passing understanding, the roof remains open. In about 20 minutes the shadows are going to be very difficult for the players.

Comment

• Re: Tennis anyone?

Muguruza advances 7-6 7-5 and will seek her third major title.

The evening match is Djokovic v Federer in the first men's semifinal. It should begin on time at 3:30 eastern time.

Comment

• Watching ESPN right now, Djokovic defaulted for hitting a line judge with a ball.

Now, seeing everyone on ESPN fall over themselves defending Djokovic makes me think Serena had a point.
        U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
        Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
        I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
        But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
        Originally posted by Doyle Woody
        Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

• The joker DQd.

couldn’t have happened to a more miserable *******

Comment

• Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
            The joker DQd.

couldn’t have happened to a more miserable *******
            The amount of people saying “well, unlucky he hit the line judge. Anywhere else he would’ve been fine.” is ridiculous. Like, maybe he shouldn’t be swatting a ball like that in the first place?
            I spell Failure with UAF

But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
            Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

• Looking at the video I don't think it was intentional, but he shouldn't be hammering balls at the wall in the first place. Serena wouldn't have gotten the benefit of the doubt and he shouldn't either.

White male apologists are gonna apologize for a bro's behavior no matter what.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
                The amount of people saying “well, unlucky he hit the line judge. Anywhere else he would’ve been fine.” is ridiculous. Like, maybe he shouldn’t be swatting a ball like that in the first place?
                Yeah. Perhaps not taking anger swings would prevent this.

I cannot stand that man.

Comment

• Had to dig deep to revive this thread, but I (against my better judgement) decided to make some coffee and watch Serena try to get through to the Aussie Final.

She certainly looks fitter and more mobile right now than she has since she won a Major while pregnant, but I expect Naomi to outlast her.

I do hope that Williams can advance; Osaka has many years of success ahead of her, and her mental toughness is rivaled only by Borg in all my years of loving and playing the game.

Anybody want to bet a buck on this thing, with 28 minutes to go before the first serve?

Comment

• I probably wouldn't bet a buck but Serena always has a chance.
                    I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

• Is Osaka pregnant or do you think she’s just put on some weight?
                      Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                      Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

• Osaka is the best player on the womens' side, no doubt about that. None at all.

Comment

• Anyone else get teary-eyed at the end of Serena's presser? I did.

Looks like the end of the GOAT. Won't be shocked to see Osaka win 20+ Grand Slams, she's that good, but Serena has had an astounding career.

As an old man who still plays pretty well, I deeply admire her game.

Just too many errant forehands last night. (Hell, Osaka would get into my head,too.)
                          Last edited by Fishman'81; 02-18-2021, 10:05 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
                            Anyone else get teary-eyed at the end of Serena's presser? I did.

Looks like the end of the GOAT. Won't be shocked to see Osaka win 20+ Grand Slams, she's that good, but Serena has had an astounding career.

As an old man who still plays pretty well, I deeply admire her game.

Just too many errant forehands last night. (Hell, Osaka would get into my head,too.)
                            Serena has really been incredible. It the second half of her career she has been a little fortunate not to have players like Davenport, Henin, and Clijsters around but the depth of the women’s game has certainly improved.

I was shocked to hear she has only reached 40 grand slam semis. Fed has reached 46 and I would have bet she would have been way ahead of him.

I think you’re jumping the gun on Osaka. It’s hard to be good for a long period of time and any number of things could slow her down. In the women’s game they don’t get anywhere close to as many free points as the men and that’s a lot of wear and tear.

I’m going to be pulling hard for Brady tonight. For me she is one of the best stories in sports post-pandemic. Tennis is obviously kind of a niche sport but she should be getting a lot more love. It is incredible how improved she has been. It will be interesting to see if Osaka has a letdown after how well she played the other night.
                            Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                            Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

• Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
                              Is Osaka pregnant or do you think she’s just put on some weight?
                              Guilty :^(
                              a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

• Originally posted by Drew S. View Post

Serena has really been incredible. It the second half of her career she has been a little fortunate not to have players like Davenport, Henin, and Clijsters around but the depth of the women’s game has certainly improved.

I was shocked to hear she has only reached 40 grand slam semis. Fed has reached 46 and I would have bet she would have been way ahead of him.

I think you’re jumping the gun on Osaka. It’s hard to be good for a long period of time and any number of things could slow her down. In the women’s game they don’t get anywhere close to as many free points as the men and that’s a lot of wear and tear.

I’m going to be pulling hard for Brady tonight. For me she is one of the best stories in sports post-pandemic. Tennis is obviously kind of a niche sport but she should be getting a lot more love. It is incredible how improved she has been. It will be interesting to see if Osaka has a letdown after how well she played the other night.
                                Barring injuries, I see Osaka winning and winning. She has the perfect tennis demeanor, never seems to let the nerves disrupt her game, and her level of talent is up there with any other woman on tour.

One thing I do expect is that people won't be as interested in womens' tennis so much if Naomi holds on to the top spot. She's a born Stoic, and the fans like drama. Same with Joker on the mens' side; he's just so dominant right now.

Soooo, it would be good for the game if both Brady and Medvedev win this weekend, though I wouldn't predict that either of them will.

Comment

Working...
                                X