Tennis anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Tennis anyone?

The overwhelming consensus was that the Williams sisters were ripe for an upset in the first week, but if they made it through the first week they'd be maybe not completely unstoppable, but very hard to beat.

Both were bounced in straight sets on the first day of the second week. Venus appears to have been routined by Pironkova.

Comment

Originally posted by MadTownSioux View Post
      Wow. Both Williams sisters lost today.
      Great news!
      Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

I was a little upset with the ITV commentators during the Wozniacki match. As soon as she was up 4-1 in the first set they were saying that it was an easy match for her and that she should use the match as practice for her net game. And they kept on it, even as the second set was unfolding and it was becoming apparent this was not an easy match.

American Mardy Fish just took the first set 7-5 in the tiebreak and leads #6 Berdych.

Comment

I must be seeing things...my screen says Federer lost the first set...

Nadal won his first set, and Fish is now up 2 sets to 0.

Comment

The weather in London is pretty bad. There was just a great shot on ESPN2 of a lightning strike somewhere near the grounds.

Women's QF:
            Lisicki vs #9 Bartoli (Lisicki won the first set 6-4)
            #5 Sharapova vs #24 Cibulkova

Paszek vs #4 Azarenka
            #8 Pvitkova va #32 Pironkova

When it comes to experience, Sharapova is the overwhelming favorite. None of the others has won a Grand Slam, and most have never even been to the SF before.

Comment

We could be witnessing one of the all-time collapses here. Lisicki had 3 match points on her serve up 5-4 in the second and couldn't put it away. She double faulted to lose that service game. She just lost the tiebreaker 7-4. We're either going to see a great 3rd set or Bartoli is going to win 6-0.

She was ahead 40-0 on her first service game of the third, went to deuce and then won the next two points. Her psyche is fragile right now. This 3rd set is going to be a real test for her.

Edit: She just broke Bartoli's serve to lead 2-0. Guess she rebounded...
              Edit2: And she wins her service game at love. 3-0. Bartoli has won only 4 points this set.
              Edit3: A 10-minute game finally won by Bartoli. Then Lisicki holds easily and leads 4-1.
              Last edited by Priceless; 06-28-2011, 09:39 AM.

Comment

I didn't see this coming. Bartoli hit a wall in the 3rd set and Lisicki regained her composure to win the 3rd set 6-1. A great win for her. She went to the QF in 2009, in every other Slam she's been out by the 3rd round. Now she's in the semifinals.

Comment

That didn't take long. Maria advances to the semis 6-1 6-1

Comment

Kvitova looks to serve for the match up 5-2 in the 3rd.

Comment

The Paszek/Azarenka match has been moved to Centre Court because of rain. This will be the latest match in the history of Wimbledon.

Azarenka is already up a break, 3-1

Comment

I can't believe I am saying this, but Federer just bricked away a quarterfinal match up two sets to none against Tsonga.

That's the first time he's lost a match after leading two sets to none.

Comment

Originally posted by Bakunin View Post
                          I can't believe I am saying this, but Federer just bricked away a quarterfinal match up two sets to none against Tsonga.

Yep. He is now 178-1 after winning the first two sets.
                          the state of hockey is good

Comment

Originally posted by Bakunin View Post

Federer just didn't seem to have it in the last 2 sets. Is this the beginning of the end or will he ever get his 7th Wimbledon?
                            GO DU !!!

Comment

I've got to believe he's done winning majors. He's still extremely competitive, but he can't beat a healthy Nadal on the big stage anymore. Nadal is so far in his head, he's almost a figment of Federer's imagination. Others are soon to pass him as well, starting with Djokovic. Usually at his age, when guys at his age start to slip at the majors, it's the beginning of the end.
                              FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

I'd say he's 50/50 to win another major. Remember, he ended Djokovic's streak at the French and played very well against Nadal in the final. He was an inch away from taking the first set of that match.

With that said, his ability to win another major probably depends on at least one of the other big three getting knocked out before the semis/finals.

Comment

Working...
                                X